1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using numbers in your domain name?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Mmfh, Mar 19, 2009.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about using numbers in a domain name like "stop4cars" or even using letters instead of an entire word like "Cme4cars" or "shop4cars".

Its hard to find really good domains these days and I'm thinking of getting creative as you can see. Because of my really tight budget I'm also considering using a .info along with the numbers??

This would be in the pet industry and I'm thinking of a large multi page site with this number and .info combination being my home page.

So, I would like to know if using a domain with a number and also using a .info would be a double whammy for a total waste of time and money??

As always Thanks!

Mm

Mmfh, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  2. 4chp

4chp Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's an bad idea placing numbers in your domain, some may argue this as 1and1.com may be an good example as being an good thing. Then again they probably own the oneandone.com name too :)

However if your set on the idea make it short and simple maybe something like 4mypet.info? I still say it's an bad idea though.

Have you exhausted all keyword combination's to find an suitable pet related domain?

4chp, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  3. alweb

alweb Banned

Best Answers:
    It will be good as a shortcut for the " orginal " ( shopforcars ) if you have it .
    But If you don't won ( shopforcars ) I don't think it is a good idea to create
    a website with ( shop4cars ) .
    It's better to look in expire domains you find a cheap one coz domains are
    most importat assets for any site [ IMO ] .
    and .com always the perfect domain if you don't find one with your keywords
    better to look for another keywords even if the domain will be without your main word

alweb, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  4. usa666

usa666 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do not like domains with numbers & letters, unless it really makes sense example 24hours.com would be a good one.

i do not recommend it unless you really know what you are doing & have a plan.

usa666, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  5. engineerroy2008

engineerroy2008 Member

Best Answers:
    It is a bad idea of placing numbers in that domain name instead you can try using word four instead of writing 4 there in the domain surely it will be available in domain name search

Also the usage of numbers is hard to remember and mostly confused

engineerroy2008, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  6. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless it's an extremely popular number, don't bother. Sites like live365.com and 411.com have pulled it off.

Pixelrage, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would never place a number, unless it was only 3 characters maybe.

pipes, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  8. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if some one types the 4 while searching but im pretty sure they wont think its for if thats what you mean.

kewlchat, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  9. tarakesh.rao

tarakesh.rao Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesnt matter if you use numbers in domain or not
    some of the popular website has numbers
    linke 888.com and many more 24hours.com
    If they make sense it ok

tarakesh.rao, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  10. JoelJonathan

JoelJonathan Peon

Best Answers:
    For the most part it is a very bad idea to use numbers in the way that you suggest because you will lose repeat traffic to the correct spelling variation of your name.

For example, if your domain name is shop4cars.com then you will likely lose a lot of repeat traffic to the domain name shopforcars.com when people don't remember exactly how your domain name is spelled (unless you can purchase both and then use a 301 redirect).

You are giving up too easy. There are literally tons of domain names that you can find that are good solid keyword domain names. Try using our Type-In Traffic tool or even read the how to guide with 25 rules for How to Choose a Domain Name.

JoelJonathan, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  11. Mmfh

Mmfh Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info everyone!
    I'll forget about using the number in my domain. I'll keep brainstorming for a really great domain!
    Thanks,
    Mm

Mmfh, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  12. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    shopforcars, shop4cars .
    It sounds good using 4 replacing "for" .
    IMO, using a .info domain or number domain is not a waste of time .

justinlorder, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  13. awelsh

awelsh Peon

Best Answers:
    It can be good however don't just put in numbers randomly like "mysite429.com" or something like that :)

awelsh, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  14. namewaiter

namewaiter Peon

Best Answers:
    numbers -- maybe, .info -- maybe = together -- no

finding a good name is tough, i'd recommend the aftermarket

namewaiter, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  15. blenta

blenta Peon

Best Answers:
    Better don't use numbers

blenta, Mar 31, 2009 IP
  16. lweeks

lweeks Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't mind the numbers, as long as they have reference to something to the actual title of the business, or if you can substitute it for a word. Like 4=For or 2=to Or if the company is called "2 Brothers and a Bakery" - the domain would be appropriate to be 2brothersbakery.com, or something like that.

lweeks, Mar 31, 2009 IP
  17. AussieDomainer

AussieDomainer Guest

Best Answers:
    If you are looking to develop a domain you are better off shelling out some extra coin for a decent domain to start with. If you are going to create anything half decent then your domain name will be your smallest expense and negligibal in comparison to everything else. Site design will take a fair bit of cost or time while SEO and link building will take a huge amount of time or money to do properly. Therefore even if it costs you a few hundred to buy a decent, relevant domain on the aftermarket you're going to be much better of in the long run.

If you do decide to register a domain then definitely do not choose a .info with numbers in. I rarely use .info domains, only when I am creating information mini-sites built specifically mor google ads. I would never choose a .info if I were to build a commercial site for my business. It would be even worse to add numbers into the mix along with a .info as it would make your image look very cheap and amateur. I would stick away from .info and numbers completely. If you do decide to register a .com with numbers (may be certain circumstances where it could work well) then make sure you can also register the .com domain with the spelt version of the numbers and any other possibilities that people might try to get to your website eg. if you register cheappets4you.com then make sure you register cheappetsforyou.com, cheappets4u.com and cheappetsforu.com

Spending a bit extra on domain names is a small cost that is well worth it. Even if you end up registering 4 domain names this means it will be costing you around $30 a year in renewal fees. This is nothing when you look at advertising and well worth it if you consider the alternative of possibly missing out on paying customers that type in the wrong domain and end up at a competitor's site or a dead link and give up on finding you.

AussieDomainer, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  18. superjacent

superjacent Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree that numbers shouldn't be used for the reasons already stated. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "4" for "for" or "2" for "two, to or too", it just doesn't do anything for me.

Having said all that I've got prime357.net (.com, .org & .info) for my private site and without doing anything exceptional it's a pr4. In this contex I like the letter and number combination, whether anyone else does, well that's debatable.

superjacent, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  19. aloksharma

aloksharma Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Basics of registering a domain: As far as possible, avoid numbers and hyphens. Average people never spell or type the domain correctly especially if they contain numbers or hyphens.

aloksharma, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  20. pritesh

pritesh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If adding a number makes sense thn do use numbers or else avoid numbers as far as possible..

pritesh, Apr 1, 2009 IP