1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you protect the "million dollar" idea?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by mywebwork, Mar 21, 2009.

1. mywebwork

mywebwork Guest

Best Answers:
    Actually isn't the issue that Microsoft couldn't patent the concept of Internet Explorer, but they could perhaps patent the actual source code?

(As a historical note, IE was not the first browser, and MS bought the original code!).

I'm not even sure how much of my code I could copyright or patent, it's all original code but it has many reliances on Open Source libraries and 3rd party API's.

10kmonthly , I like your way of thinking - JUST DO IT! Do it and do it first, if it's truly as great a concept as I believe it is then its very likely someone else is about to do it too, and working this hard to become#2 would be a real shame!

Thanks again for all the great advice everyone!

Bill

mywebwork, Mar 30, 2009 IP
  2. tscbh

tscbh Peon

Best Answers:
    Why fear?

If you create it, you would know it more than anyone else. No matter how much you describe to others, they wouldn't have the same knowledge you do.

You were saying it took you 4 years to develop. I believe you really do it with all your heart and soul. You are already 4 years ahead! Even if other people copy. They wouldn't come close within a certain time frame. Then, you are already established a rock solid foundation.

Again, why fear? Just get it done as soon as possible. You never know that other people might having exactly the same idea as you are! After all, there are 6+billions people in this world. Maybe they are releasing the product right now!

Just do it quick! Get the biggest market share.

Good luck

tscbh, Mar 31, 2009 IP
  3. boxieblue

boxieblue Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't have any advice to give here, but i cannnot wait to see what it is you are working on!!! any specific launch date planned?

boxieblue, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  4. KMP

KMP Peon

Best Answers:
    This has been a very interesting thread. I just have to jump in and share a little.

A few years back I worked for a company (that shall remain nameless) that had a great software product. It was very new and had great potential. This company got over $1,000,000 in outside investments to market the product.

However, the CEO was worried that someone would steal the idea before the company was ready to go big. So all the marketing was done "under the radar" so the big competitors wouldn't be aware of us.

Out of nowhere, another start up came out with a similar product. They marketed like crazy and grabbed a bunch of market share. They are still going strong.

The company I worked for no longer exists.

The point of all this...
    #1 I am sorry to burst your bubble, but whatever your idea is, you are not the only one working on it. Venture capitalists will tell you, that if you say you have no competition, you haven't done your research.

#2 Make sure that when you are ready to launch your product you do it full bore. Don't hold back. By the time you get to beta testing you should already be setting up a major marketing plan. Get your lists ready and be ready to immediately dominate the market.

#3 Do what you can to protect your idea, but don't obsess over it. You can't sell something while you try to keep it a secret. People will try to copy your idea, but for the most part they will be inferior copycats, because most people don't like to work hard.

Good Luck! And like everyone else said, let us know when you launch.

KMP, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  5. wearableshoetrees

wearableshoetrees Peon

Best Answers:
    It's possible to patent the method in which your software does what it does. In 98' there was tons of litigation going on between Microsoft and Logitech over the invention of the mouse. It basically boiled down to the shape of the mouse and the intent of the design that allowed both to co-exist.

They both sell mice. They both have patents. So I would have to agree with an earlier post that you should get it out to market as fast as possible. Sometimes, though someone else may be working on it, they might not be able to do it the way you would do it.

Ciao

wearableshoetrees, Apr 3, 2009 IP
  6. momrocks

momrocks Peon

Best Answers:
    I just want to tell the original poster - don't give up! If you truly believe in your idea, keep going with it! Talk to your attorney, and protect your idea as best as you can. Whatever you do, don't lose momentum or let anyone bring you down. :)

momrocks, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  7. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    YOu can trademark your site, but preventing people from copying your idea (online) is hard to prevent. Didn't you read about that brilliant 23 year old entrepreneur that took the combined concept of Digg, Stumbleupon and Propeller and started a service that basically fixes their flaws. His site is oodles more popular already and Digg is mad as hell yet they can't sue. Sad but true.

sarah_harvey, Apr 7, 2009 IP
  8. modulecart

modulecart Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest buy all possible domains that relates to your project, cloners would want to buy you-tube.com just to get the youtube.com effect... also, on the domains you buy, put announcements to it that you are coming up with this million dollar project and put some description of what the project will be how it will work and what it does (descriptions only not the schematics), this way, you are already announcing to the world that you have this project, and the age of the domains/content will prove your ownership of the concept, it will stand in court. This is my little way of "copyrighting" an idea. If you can. blog about it, it doesn't matter if people will read it, the point is that you get google, archive.org, aboutus.org crawl your site, putting a timestamp on your "claim", so if all hell breaks loose, you got them big internet guys backing you up saying "this site or project had been cooking for long now"

Then on your main site, you just announce the data you gather on your beta testing, what are the outputs, documenting your approach (again dont spill any beans), just put what you did and what are the output... this basically put a chrono date on your progress so when you stand and claim your rights, you got documents to prove it.

Just my 2 cents.

modulecart, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  9. merlinseo

merlinseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well apply for copy rights or patent otherwise you cannot stop from reusing or modifying your idea.

Unless officially done it wont help as other would slightly modify and re-code it so legally you cannot do anything because they may claim it as modified. but if you have patent or copyrights you can stop them even from modifying it

Well if its really Million-Dollar idea then legal copyright or patent technology must be there !

merlinseo, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  10. popedope

popedope Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't you just keep it to yourself until its beyond the "copyable" stage??

popedope, Apr 11, 2009 IP
  11. dhana_space1

dhana_space1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent, Well Said. I think this is the best reply for this thread.
    But i dont know, how the author takes it.
    The bottom line is, dont waste time. By the time, u think and do all the things slowly someone will over take you. Even though your idea may be great.

dhana_space1, Apr 13, 2009 IP
  12. p4t

p4t Active Member

Best Answers:
    tscbh: I was about to say the same.
    The only thing separating you and the people who will copy your idea is your passion. You have been working really hard to get to where you are and you alone has the complete knowledge so you alone will be able to bring it to realization if you really believe in your idea.

KMP: I also agree with you. People are generally lazy, if it takes a lot of effort, they won't do anything.

p4t, Apr 14, 2009 IP
  13. cruz1080

cruz1080 Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably the best idea.

cruz1080, Apr 15, 2009 IP