1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Unique Directory Thread...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by an0n, Mar 27, 2009.

1. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    nice to see you after long... gr8 thread.

I see most of the suggestions are based on "directory design."

MeetHere, Mar 28, 2009 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  2. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, for the most part, and that is NOT what the thread was about. It's about end user functionality.

hummm is on track and understands. end user, end user, end user

an0n, Mar 28, 2009 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  3. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ does not seem like a very good example because they probably have a one million dollar budget for the site. I don't think there is too much money in directories because of the proliferation of crap into the industry which gave us a bad rap in the webmaster world, because of that I don't think there is so much interest in pioneering in the industry.

jg123, Mar 28, 2009 IP
    discover likes this.
  4. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Budget has nothing to do with it. Do you see the concept of bbc and how it allows for end user scalability? That's what the thread is about. Where are the examples that exemplify end user scale/flexibility to allow for customization. That is what I would like to see. I know this is the Directories section, but hell, if there are normal sites out there, then I wouldn't mind seeing them too.

an0n, Mar 28, 2009 IP
  5. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess my point on budget is that it allows you to hire the 'cutting edge' folks to create the 'cutting edge' features.

jg123, Mar 28, 2009 IP
  6. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    nahhhh that's not budget. That's ambition :) Anyone could achieve a goal they set their mind to, as long as they are wanting and willing to learn what needs to be learned in order to produce the desired outcome.

Believe me, there are a great many things that I personally want to code into my projects. I just do not possess the know-how at present. However, time-management is by far no easy task for me with all of my endeavors, but in due time I will without a doubt gain that knowledge and implement what I want, because I an pretty ambitious and love to innovate :)

an0n, Mar 28, 2009 IP
  7. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you had a ton of money and could allocate a big budget then you could hire folks to do this right now and bring these types of innovations to market before anyone else.

So it kinda is...

jg123, Mar 28, 2009 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  8. charter

charter Guest

Best Answers:
    Big Budget = Big Think Tank

Google hires big thinkers

charter, Mar 28, 2009 IP
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've never been one to just sit back and not know what I am doing. As far as wanting something, there is a much greater satisfaction for me to be able to read up on it, code it, test it and implement it. I have great patience and I've been prosperous due to that. It was never about having it before anyone else. It was always about me being able to think it, creat it, testing it, making it secure, available and easily maintainable.

As far as innovations go, I've always been innovative and do have stuff before others. To me it's about knowledge. Knowledge gained which I can further down the line as technology advances. For example, I see nothing new in the latest version of the script you use. Matter o'fact, I still see them using the rest of my ideas given from three years back which I had already had in 2006. Now think, three years ago is a pretty long time, so imagine what I do have and know now vs back then.
    You see, without my wanting to attain the ins, outs, and know-how that I now possess through various scripting languages, it would never have been possible to do the things I do today and will tomorrow in various scripts.

It's laziness not budget. Saying it's budget is just a 'cheap' excuse.

So anywho, lets try and stay on the threads topic.

Rob

an0n, Mar 28, 2009 IP
  10. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Lemme cut that budget crap! Man you urself can say for example write a blog for old age people or say health & fitness or technology or just anything. Or maybe advice corner for teens just any daam thing.

Now if your visitor is happy and bookmarks you and becomes a regular visitor, that unique as I said before. What we are looking at the end of the day is to earn that visitor.

You cannot a earn a user by pouring money into your directory or by have extra ordinary designs or modifications.

You earn a user/visitor by yourself doing something for him from which he/she benefits.

humm, Mar 29, 2009 IP
  11. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who's the end user? a webmaster or a random Internet user?

rehash, Mar 29, 2009 IP
  12. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Directories were supposed to be built for end users. To help them dig through the crap on the web and point out some hidden gems.

mikey1090, Mar 29, 2009 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The general surfer.
    Of what category and/or group a browser fall in does not matter.
    Your surfer can be a soccer mom, a real estate agent, a doctor, a lawyer, a construction worker, [insert explicit of any type of individual]. They are the 'end user' no matter what.

an0n, Mar 29, 2009 IP
  14. Bumble

Bumble Guest

Best Answers:
    an0n - Is mygreencorner.com a template??

Bumble, Mar 29, 2009 IP
  15. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It runs off phpLD to the best of my knowledge, has some free wordpress themes and has a unique template which looks quite nice, yes.

But I think An0n wants more than than that - he's looking for mega unique - almost insane/freakish features if you like.

Being a lion as opposed to a tiger with a different color of stripes.

mikey1090, Mar 29, 2009 IP
  16. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Features are nothing without good content.

I think a lot of what was wrong with directories a couple of years ago is that webmasters spent time on design and features trying to attract clients whilst overlooking the fact that without content a directory is nothing.
    Unfortunately even now I still see very few directories with well written unique descriptions.

Webmasters need to work with coders like an0n who are trying to offer some improvements to the surfer but without a solid base of good content I'm afraid the real value of any new features will be lost..

discover, Mar 29, 2009 IP
    SearchBuster likes this.
  17. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If I could edit my initial post I would definitely add this to it.

This is on point and exactly what the thread is referring to. I just wish others could understand. I mean I didn't think it was that trivial, but apparently it is for some.

@discover, with regards to content, that's a different thread. this thread is about end user functionality.

Honestly, people don't necessarily need to get with me on this. What they need to do is start a new train of thought with regards to the opposite perspective. Maybe people will, maybe they won't. Who the heck knows these days.
    All that I do know for myself is I will continue to improve upon what I have, will have, and will make in the future ;)
    If someone just so happens to inquire and it's readily available, sure I'll offer it.

Rob

an0n, Mar 29, 2009 IP
  18. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah right, show me one directory that is actually useful to these kind of users. Dmoz/yahoo maybe used to be when search engines were weaker, but not anymore. There are also some niche directories with value for these users, but general directories? Accept it or not, they are for webmasters to gain links.

rehash, Mar 30, 2009 IP
    xc06 likes this.
  19. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:

The problem with people like you is that you yourself don't want to see a change and nor do you want to help in to bring a change nor do you want a change.

The only thing you want to do, is to tear part people wanting to bring in a change and demotivate them because 'you' have accecpted and make a conclusion that a change cannot comein.

Get a life loser! :rolleyes:

humm, Mar 30, 2009 IP
    discover likes this.
  20. marki8

marki8 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, thank you @anon, i understand what you mean...

marki8, Mar 30, 2009 IP