1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Interested in building a dedicated server - need input

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by zerxer, Mar 13, 2009.

My friend and I are thinking just building our own server and going with colocation is a lot better in the long run and I have another friend currently renting a server that is interested in splitting the costs with us so he can use it too but none of us are any good at configurations so I am hoping from some input from the intelligent people here.

First thing I'm wondering, since another friend of mine recommended the Intel Core i7, is if it's possible (most likely) and a good idea to go with a dual core i7 build, two of those processors. I know Xeons are the processors actually made for servers but curious if it'd be better to go with two of the i7s since they have their hyperthreading and all. The 2.66GHz one is less than $300 on newegg so it's not all that expensive, under $600 for two of them.

Second, I need a good motherboard suggestion, depending on which processor setup you recommend from above. Oh and I'm looking at all the stuff through newegg so if you can, please see if it's there and post a link to it with your suggestion.

Third, oh hell, basically I need some good suggestions on all the parts. What type/brand of RAM would be best (we want 8GB or more), a really good power supply, and best type/brand of hard drives (considering going with a RAID 10 setup so keep that in mind).

Finally, a case to hold it all, of course.

Thanks for any input you can give.

zerxer, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  2. internetstromer

internetstromer Member

Best Answers:
    I can provide this kind of services to initial setup an server and config PM me for more details

internetstromer, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  3. SSANZ

SSANZ Peon

Best Answers:

I dont think they are looking for paid help....

They just want some advice regarding server hardware.

I suggest you look at supermicro built servers, they save you a lot of money in the long run and warrantys are good :)

SSANZ, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  4. zeromaster

zeromaster Peon

Best Answers:
    You might look into the tyan barebones system on newegg. I've had servers go 8 years without even a single part failing

zeromaster, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  5. zerxer

zerxer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the posts guys but it seems my friend has changed directions yet again. We're going to give SingleHop a try since they had a nice promotional package. Hopefully their network upgrades will mean no more outages.

zerxer, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  6. engineerroy2008

engineerroy2008 Member

Best Answers:
    Are you going to buy dedicated server from Single hop or colocating there? Singlehop offers are good and they are also nice company for hosting dedicated servers

engineerroy2008, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  7. zerxer

zerxer Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, we went with a dedicated server plan through them, since they had a nice deal on new core i7 servers. Sadly, they told us it'd be up by the 19th or 20th and today is the 21st and they told my friend they're not available today and won't be til monday even though their site says they're there on saturdays. They took forever to respond to his ticket about where the server is too. :/

zerxer, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  8. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What's your anticipated budget, and is this just a standard LAMP web server? I've build about 50 servers in the past few years and can probably recommend a good setup for any budget. Post a budget range and anticipated usage and I'd be happy to provide some recommendations.

As stated above, the Tyan barebone servers are a great place to start.

Also, keep in mind that most colo charge per U or for a 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, full rack, so the smaller your server, generally the cheaper the hosting.

jestep, Mar 24, 2009 IP
  9. xsimio

xsimio Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    just buy a refurbished dell server, and u'r life will be perfect.

to much thinking when U don;t know nothing about hardware, it;s a really pain.

xsimio, Mar 26, 2009 IP
  10. zerxer

zerxer Peon

Best Answers:
    It's all fine now. SingleHop finally got back to us and apparently they didn't have any more Core i7 processors in inventory but they gave us a 2x intel xeon setup instead with everything else in the package the same and for the same price so it's a really great deal in the end. We've been on the new server for about a week so far and no troubles yet and we reopened our one site and it's running as smooth as ever. :)

zerxer, Mar 28, 2009 IP