1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the most important factor in Ranking well?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by AlphanetChrisC, Mar 25, 2009.

I'm assuming the most important factor is one-way links. But just getting opinions. What do you think?

AlphanetChrisC, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  2. ghazz

ghazz Peon

Best Answers:
    When you say ranking well, I assume you mean ranking high in SERPs for particular keywords? In that case, yes, back links that contain or are around keywords that you are looking to rank for, or have your site theme match.

Then there is of course onsite seo and a ton of other smaller factors.

ghazz, Mar 25, 2009 IP
    freelistfool likes this.
  3. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with ghazz. It mostly comes down to backlinks and how those backlinks relate to your keyword(s). There are many other ranking factors, but if you get good enough links you can overcome most of the other stuff. The classic example is adobe.com ranking #1 for 'click here'. The phrase is nowhere on their page, but they have enough backlinks with that text.

vansterdam, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  4. seosapien

seosapien Peon

Best Answers:
    The factors are 2! 99.9% of the time many one way links without a proper onsite optimization are worthless! I would say 35% onsite and 65% links.

seosapien, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  5. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Page Title! and of course backlinks with anchor text on keywords

Nystul, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  6. ankur420420

ankur420420 Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi

one way links are indeed one of the most important things needed for a website but the backbone of a website is the content of the website

moreover many other SEO techniques that help in link building also cause a lot of improvement

hope this helps!!

good luck with your website:):)

thanks,
    ankur

ankur420420, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  7. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    It takes both on page seo and one way links from related sites. That's where you'll get the biggest bang for your buck.

freelistfool, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  8. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with most here...

With enough backlinks from enough relevant sites with the targeted keyword phrase as the link text for those links(and some slight variations of that phrase), I can make any crappy page with crappy content (even duplicate content) and crappy on-page SEO rank on page 1. Anyone here can with enough good backlinks.

However, a page with great content and great on-page SEO will almost never rank well without good backlinks.

Backlinks are the key to Google's algorithm. Inbound links influence many of the 200+ factors considered by their ranking algorithm. They see them as votes by other sites on the web (presumably unbiased) and use the link text as a strong signal as to what your page is about. It is for this reason that they go to such extremes constantly modifying their ranking algorithms to battle spam techniques for generating unnatural backlinks.

Canonical, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  9. mrandrei

mrandrei Peon

Best Answers:
    To improve your ranking, build quality links for your site. Onepage optimization (tags and quality content) also matters a lot.

mrandrei, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  10. ravenwood

ravenwood Peon

Best Answers:
    I vote for links but quality content and onpage optimization matters too

ravenwood, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  11. rennee

rennee Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with most of them here. Link building and quality content will play an major role in ranking. Getiing quality links is more important than the quantity of the links.

rennee, Mar 25, 2009 IP