1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Minimum price for a genuine PR4 domain?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by carboncat, Mar 21, 2009.

There's a domain name I want to get was a domain about a major event that was held about four years ago. It's parked at the moment, but three or four years ago it was an active domain and got a bunch of blog links and news links and even an .edu. As a result of all those links the domain is PR4, but I'm pretty sure the traffic has dropped off to a trickle, because the domain was about a particular event, and that event is long gone.

It's for sale, "make an offer". I think I want it... but don't want to offer too much.

any ideas of a lowball price to offer?

carboncat, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  2. ClassHelper.org

ClassHelper.org Guest

Best Answers:
    Try to compare it to what's being asked for others in the same (or related) niche. Of course, the price for an undeveloped domain should be much lower than one that has an active visitor community.

ClassHelper.org, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  3. bobchrist

bobchrist Active Member

Best Answers:
    Consider the value of domain name rather than the links because if there is no content the ranking will be dropped soon.

bobchrist, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  4. Komicwords

Komicwords Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think selling the parking site will made the pagerank really still there,I think that is already Google TOS.that buying already "PR site that is parked will not deliver the new buyer to get old PR.so I think you need to reconsider that selling and buying domain like that since this wont be profitable at this present day

Komicwords, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  5. carboncat

carboncat Peon

Best Answers:
    People say that PR gets reset, but this shows that it doesn't. When I check with a pagerank checker, it's got PR4, even though it's been parked for a couple of years.

as for value of the name itself, it's nothing. It would be reg fee without those old links. but it is indexed and has PR so it's surely worth something.

carboncat, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  6. byyp

byyp Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this. I have bought a PR3 domain last year for $45, and after 2 weeks its PR became zero, even when I have put good content on it. What I learned was "never buy a domain name just because of its PR, look for the content too".

byyp, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  7. justinlorder

justinlorder Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, your offer could range from $3** to $5** . I think it is a fair price. Good luck .

justinlorder, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  8. Illum

Illum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    start with an offer of $50

Illum, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  9. rainyday8

rainyday8 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't spend more than what you are comfortable with losing. If you don't make money it wont hurt too much, if you do - congratulations!

rainyday8, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  10. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I would never spend money on a domain just because it has PR, especially a PR4. With a basic understanding of SEO and a reasonable amount of work, my mom can get a PR4...if it were that important to her.

A website with PR is a different story, but I still would not buy anything based on PR.

hmansfield, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  11. CTThompson

CTThompson Member

Best Answers:
    I'm guessing the domain name isn't relevant, since it probably is about this specific event, something you can't build off of.

As others have said, it's better to buy based on the name. Those links will slowly evaporate (some of them anyway) as the link posters figure out new content is at the domain, and not what they originally linked for..

If you're confident the PR4 rating is not in jeopardy, then I wouldn't recommend anything above $250. A PR4 site really isn't that hard to obtain after 2-3 months.

CTThompson, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  12. carboncat

carboncat Peon

Best Answers:
    I offered $100. I got a reply from the parking/resale company saying (paraphrasing):
    "that's below the minimum price for this domain. Please submit a significantly higher offer. Or tell us if that's as high as you can go"

by the way, I'm pretty sure this domain gets a substantial amount of traffic from old links (slowly declining due to link rot), but it's probably hard to monetize.

carboncat, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  13. dp2009

dp2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    CTThompson

You said "You said "A PR4 site really isn't that hard to obtain after 2-3 months."
    By how? Can you share?"

How?

Thanks

dp2009, Mar 28, 2009 IP