1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bidding directories slammed (as usual) by Big G - Too much this time?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by noobpreneur, Mar 21, 2009.

Hi,

I've noticed that my bidding directories and many others that I know of is dropping in PR.

Whilst we all know that Google hates paid links, but the penalty is harsh these days. I saw established, high quality, PR3 bid directories slammed to PR0 - if that's what happened to the quality ones, what happen to the low quality ones?

Is it time to go out of bidding directory business?

In my case, I'm definitely out - All my bid directories are slammed by Big G, including one that has numerous PR6 links... I guess it's also time to stop my advertising at DirectoryRate...

Any thoughts or stories to share?

noobpreneur, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  2. bobbyt

bobbyt Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is my first time hearing about bidding directory. How do you usually build it up (and its PR) and later manage it? If you don't mind me asking, that is. I am curious about this with normal web directories too. Do they buy any domains with high PR and then just install phpLD? Most of the directories I came across only have high PR on their domain root, the subcategories don't really help in the PR of links, even featured ones.

Also pertaining to your worry, don't go completely out of the business. You must change your modus operandi though. Convert your bid directories into an editor-reviewed paid directory instead. No doubt the earnings will be less, but at least your earning potential don't go to zero immediately if and when Google punishes you if you continue to sell links.

bobbyt, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  3. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    When this starts happening to any directory that you have, not just bidding directories it tests to see if you were in it only for the pr :) if you stick around and keep them you will see there is life beyond pr, its a little bit different but directories live fine without pr.

There is an afterlife for pr stripped directories. :)

If you jump ship everytime something happens you will spend most of your time splashing around in the water. ;)

pipes, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  4. noobpreneur

noobpreneur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @ bobbyt - Many (including me) buy a domain name with PR and build a directory on it (either PHPLD or PHPLinkBid) - unlike many, I buy non-dropped domain name. My network consists of bought domain names and pure startups - all dropping in PR the same way :p - I'm highly considering your tips... Thanks :)

@ pipes - I own dozens of sites, and to tell you the truth, this is happening only to my bidding directories (not my general directory) - So, I guess it's safe that Big G is punishing my bid dirs for selling links :p (By any chance, are you the owner of CannyLink?

I experience the rise and fall of PR, but not as severe as this one - so I guess, I'm kinda fed up with the bid dirs biz... But I, of course, won't drop my directories altogether - I agree to bobbyt, I thought about converting my bid dirs into something useful... My main doubt is, how's my responsibility to my clients? They are placing link bid for a permanent placement. Any advice on this? Thanks :)

noobpreneur, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  5. bobbyt

bobbyt Active Member

Best Answers:
    noobpreneur, I am flattered. I do not own any directory, but is considering purchasing my first copy of phpLD soon, don't think I deserve to give any tips but a reminder will be a good term :)

How about stop the bidding feature and retain the existing clients' links? Next, do not leave any trace of link sales, instead set up a form for editor-reviewed paid listing business model. I am not really sure if this will help though, do Google even pay attention to the changes we make to our house once it sets sight on us?

I mean it is weird that editor-review paid listing is tolerated but blatant link buying is prohibited. Also, dofollow links without payment is absolutely normal but I wonder whether Google will look at it that way. How will they know if we received payment? I mean paid advertising should be labelled as nofollow, then what are dofollow links meant for? Will Google misunderstand our dofollow links as a paid link?

P.S. bookmarked your blog in the location field.

bobbyt, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No its not mine, its a rented sig.

pipes, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  7. deebee

deebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent advice.

deebee, Mar 23, 2009 IP
    web-fanatic likes this.
  8. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you can jump out the business,
    But IMO the bidding directories still has their values besides general directories.
    Well said pipes!!! :)

WallaceYeung, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  9. 1nspire

1nspire Peon

Best Answers:
    You can't let Google run your life. Noob you have some great directories. Even though it does seem that Google is being harsh I agree its a weeding out process. It wasn't long ago only about 6 or 7 months that Google gave a boost in PR to bid directories. IMO if you build your site or directory for the sole purpose of PR you will be a frustrated and disappointed webmaster. Build for humans and not bots baby.

1nspire, Mar 24, 2009 IP
  10. noobpreneur

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the great opinions, guys! I guess sticking to bid directories would be a short term goal...

@bobbyt - There are many loopholes where Google can learn what your site's doing. For instance, in Google webmaster tools, you can actually report sites that involves money in link activities. So, not only Google, your site visitors can notify Big G about your wrong-doing. In bid directory case, having a phrase "buy a link" will raise a red flag on your dir! Btw, thanks for bookmarking my main site:)

@1nspire - yes - I agree that building for the sake of PR will disappoint. I try to balance human vs. SE, but I came into a conclusion that ppl submitting a link to a bid dir are for SEO purpose first, advertising second. I could be wrong, though...

noobpreneur, Mar 24, 2009 IP
  11. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    It was time a year ago. G has said that if you are selling PR (and that's what bidding directories do) you will receive no PR.

It's theirs to give, and theirs to take. It's their game. They make the rules. So why bother? I can't see how it would be worth the trouble.

longcall911, Mar 25, 2009 IP
    web-fanatic and discover like this.
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Anything showing the slightest success that has pagerank is going to get 'slammed' by gaygle, unless of course, you are the digg's and twitters of the web, which of course we are not(for now at least)

an0n, Mar 25, 2009 IP
    web-fanatic and pctec like this.
  13. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Woohoo, inspire!
    Totally agree with you! But any directory can still make profits without google search?

WallaceYeung, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  14. Gotan Raider

Gotan Raider Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you can keep the paid feature as long as you call it "moderators fee" and actually do editorial moderation and only let go through the quality sites. In the long run, that will make your directory survive any PR trips.

Gotan Raider, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  15. web-fanatic

web-fanatic Banned

Best Answers:
    wonder if anyone supports this statement :)

web-fanatic, Mar 25, 2009 IP
  16. noobpreneur

Best Answers:
    @longcall911 - Yes, the signs are out there last year, but I thought I could find a way to run away from Big G. But yeah, it's their game. I guess Google has to play God balancing the web universe...

@an0n - LOL - the irony...

@web-fanatic - no comment :p

noobpreneur, Mar 26, 2009 IP
  17. tensmar

tensmar Peon

Best Answers:
    web-fanatic -- Based on my experience, Bidding Directories usually don't need alot of Traffic to be profitable (just targeted Traffic). However, G**gle is the most popular Search Engine, and their importance to the Traffic (and ultimate Profitability) of a website cannot be minimized (in my opinion).

tensmar, May 18, 2009 IP
  18. Divisive Cottonwood

Divisive Cottonwood Peon

Best Answers:
    You gotta be kidding me?! There's no point at all in having a zero PR directory. If you can't persuade Google to un-penalise you then just get rid of it.

Name me one directory that thrives on a PR0 after being penalised.

Divisive Cottonwood, May 19, 2009 IP
  19. Divisive Cottonwood

Divisive Cottonwood Peon

Best Answers:
    If you run a bidding directory that blatantly sells links you will be whacked - if you give a certain amount of money and you are guaranteed to get on the frontpage.

Google started slamming bidding directories a couple of years ago now and I don't know webmasters are still bothering with them

Divisive Cottonwood, May 19, 2009 IP
  20. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    my bid directory is 1,5 year old and it have been stable pr4 from the first update till now.So if you are handling your directory well without cheating or make it a link farm then it is a valuable resource of link either is a bidding directory either is a normal directory.So go and tell to the submmiter that have invest 86 euro last year and still stand at the frontpage that he did something wrong.

scoobby, May 19, 2009 IP