1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Your Adsense Websites Aren't Making You Rich

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by tommygadget, Mar 23, 2009.

Hello DP'ers!

I get asked this question so much, I decided to post about it. I have around 200 niche sites with adsense on them. This should make me rich, right? Wrong! I made some mistakes and I would like to share some very hard-won information with you so that you don't fall into the same traps that I did. Here's what I found:

1) Niche choice is important. Here's why: I have several websites that target small niches which Google pays me $0.04/click. These websites only make a few dollars/month. Generally, I view a site as a success if it makes over $10/day. I think that is reasonable. Let's take our real world $0.04/click for a "poor" niche and see what it would take to get $10/day. I go to my adsense account and see that on average, 4.49% of my visitors click the ads. Let's crunch some numbers: to get $10/day, at $0.04/click, we need 250 clicks/day. OK, sounds great. Now how many people need to see that with a CTR of 4.49%. That number is 5568 visitors per day! Ouch! OK, how many visitors is that per month? Well, just a shade over 167 THOUSAND visitors/month. OK, let's say for illustration, we assume that each keyword here (I actually looked at on of my sites for this number) has around 2,000 searches/month. Let's be kind and say that we capture every visitor. That would mean we need around 167/2 or around 84 articles to get there.

2) Optimizing and testing is soooooo important. Here's why: Let's say that we optimized our website for clicks and got a 10% CTR. That would mean we could get away with writing 38 articles instead of 84! Hey, big incentive there! People, that means you should be doing everything you can to get that click! OK, let's say we got that 10% CTR, moving on, what else can we do? Here's what: target keywords that get $0.20/click instead of $0.04/click. Really, it is not hard at all. Google's external keyword tool now has CPC (cost per click) data. Fixing our website to target these clicks means we need 1/5 the traffic. Well, how much is that? 5568/5 is a much more reasonable 1114 visitors/day. With all our previous numbers being equal, that would mean we target 38/5 keywords, or 8 keyword phrases. Isn't that MUCH better? Doing some research definitely means all the difference between success and failure.

Well, as you see in my example, choosing the right niche and testing and optimizing your CTR makes the difference between writing and promoting and dominating 84 niche phrases or just 8 phrases. Which would you rather do? Now go out there and make some cash.

Thomas C. Gajdjis

tommygadget, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  2. 2AdvanceMedia

2AdvanceMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    i didnt read all, however your first paragraphy tell me why you didnt earn much from Adsense. 200 sites? that why you dont earn much, most people think the more site you have the money you earn..WRONG....Make one good site and focus on that site you will make more money on that site :)

2AdvanceMedia, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  3. tommygadget

tommygadget Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply, but please read the rest. I make that point exactly, it is not the number of sites but the niches and content. Read the whole post again.

TomG.

4. xtremevicky709

xtremevicky709 Peon

Best Answers:
    Then again correct placement can get your good number of clicks even though you are not great writer. :)

xtremevicky709, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  5. Sparaker

Sparaker Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice read. Rep added.

Sparaker, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  6. gooner4ever

gooner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all don't make Adsense sites.
    Make sites with quality, make sites where readers actually find what they are looking for.

After that you probably don't have such large CTR ( because people find info on your site) but believe me you will make more money. Better sites, better opportunities to monetize it.

If I have real site, I don't "target keywords", I write about what's needed to be write about. Keywords come naturally.

Of course you won't get rich that way, when you are creating sites make sure you create something useful for reader, which solves their problems... Or just give up of advertisement on sites and switch to CPA or other affiliate offers...

Stop making shity sites ... "Content is a King ".

How much you earn with your 200 adsense sites?

gooner4ever, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  7. tommygadget

tommygadget Peon

Best Answers:
    Even if that works, as I said, who cares if you are getting $0.01/click?

Thanks Sparaker, glad you liked it.

TomG.

8. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think its just a silly marketing piece so people will click his sig link offer adsenseless services lol.......

I have 100+ sites and nobody asks me about them that much.....

Silly spammers will never learn DP is the wrong place to pull such a stunt.....

:D

Sem-Advance, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  9. tommygadget

tommygadget Peon

Best Answers:
    Gooner, if you don't care to make any money online, that's fine, just write some stuff you really like to write. The problem is, why not write about things you like AND make sure you have the keywords that earn a decent $ in there? Also, if you solve the reader's problem, there is no incentive to click on an ad. Your CTR will be in the dumps. My sites earn me 4 figures monthly without fussing with them. I build new sites, now at a rate of 4/month.

TomG.

10. Mw_WebDesigns

Mw_WebDesigns Banned

Best Answers:
    Very nice bit of information. This will help a lot of DP members hopefully improve the adsense income.

Rep added.

-Matt.

Mw_WebDesigns, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  11. tommygadget

tommygadget Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand your pessimism Sem, but I am not a spammer. Really, I am not. I don't care if you even look at my sig. I am answering a question that comes up over and over again. People keep complaining that they don't or can't make any money with adsense. It really comes down to two things: 1) Their articles/posts trigger keywords that pay less than $0.05/click and 2) They have no idea how to get targeted traffic so the bounce rate is really high and G drops their revenue even more.

TomG.

12. ciorap2009

ciorap2009 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the great post , i have only a few sites but the niche is low paying so i know exactly what you say here.

ciorap2009, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  13. 32paul52

32paul52 Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you able to show the best layout you have used? not so much the niche (someone elses site is ok) but best placing colour etc

32paul52, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  14. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Good points tommygadget, i wish you better luck in the future.
    I mainly focus on affiliates 'pay per order' type marketing now days.

But still get good results from adsense and adsense for domains on my high traffic sites but I dont depend on these.

kewlchat, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  15. SearchBliss

SearchBliss Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'd often been tempted to create more sites, but just for Adsense is a bad idea. So I focus on the what I know, with the few sites and blogs I have. They generate enough traffic for 200, with much less maintainence.

SearchBliss, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  16. Goalissimo

Goalissimo Guest

Best Answers:
    Good post tommy thanks for the info:)

Goalissimo, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  17. designknick

designknick Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice info. Thanks!

designknick, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  18. 12Magazine

12Magazine Peon

Best Answers:
    nice!!! Thank you

12Magazine, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  19. gooner4ever

gooner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    In the end, quality always wins. Keywords mean nothing, why should I build my sites Adsense keywords?

I have one site ATM which gives me around 0.05$ peer click on Adsense ATM, and I still earn over 400$, not to mention other income sources!

In the end, how much you spend on domains a year?At least you don't need powerful server ... I really don't see any reason why would an individual build so many sites....sorry. First of all, it takes time ( layout, content, SEO, blabla for every singe site).

With 2 authority sites I triple your 200 sites. And I spend less time.

gooner4ever, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  20. tommygadget

tommygadget Peon

Best Answers:
    Gooner, did you even read the first paragraph of my post? I put those sites up BEFORE I really understood adsense. I AM advocating higher paying clicks, fewer sites, etc. Imagine that site ATM, if you optimized for a slightly better keyword, say that got you $0.30 instead of five cents, wouldn't that be worth your time and effort? I think so. If you build authority sites, that's good too. Keep in mind that if one of your authority sites gets deindexed, there goes half your income. Just saying...

TomG.