1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is better - Wordpress blog or creating dedicated pages with articles?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by allancass, Mar 21, 2009.

Dear Friends
    I am wondering what is better in terms of SEO and traffic - to add a blog or create dedicated pages for your keywords.

Generally I intend to add maybe 10-20 articles for dedicated keyphrases so I do not think that anyone will subscribe to such blog. The blog is for a software web site and there is not much to blog about except some posts for new releases and features.

On the other hand I can create static pages with articles and I will have easier control over the keywords, titles, meta tags.

What do you think.
    Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

allancass, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  2. affiliates4seo

affiliates4seo Peon

Best Answers:
    i think wordpress blog is good.

Bcoz, it is very hard to maintain many pages daily and hard to linking. If u create a new page, it may take time. But blog will have the faster crawling capability.

affiliates4seo, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  3. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Go both, just use a template with php with a global menu or similar - navigation and menus / links are hard to maintain on a dedicated page site.

thsadmin, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  4. Webdevloper1

Webdevloper1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    ya wordpress is better with all in one seo or any other seo plugin..

Webdevloper1, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  5. allancass

allancass Active Member

Best Answers:
    affiliates4seo thank you for your reply.
    Generally the effort is not a factor here as it will be about the same.
    The questions is if it is worth to setup a wordpress script as a subdomain for such purpose.
    On the other hand I am not sure if this blog will have popularity at all as it will list articles and info just on new releases and new features of the products. I suppose that the maximum will be the users of the products to subscribe to the RSS.

6. allancass

allancass Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you thsadmin.
    I already have a template system for the pages that will create a page with the overall design of the web site and I need just to type the new article. So as I wrote the effort for posting an article in the blog or creating a dedicated page is same.

7. thsadmin

thsadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    just make sure you can add a link to your entire site - by just editing one file.

Wordpress will add juice to your site if you go in that direction.

But as a whole - wordpress is better for SEO and maintenance wise, but can be server intensive and slower than a template driven web site.

thsadmin, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  8. paparts

paparts Active Member

Best Answers:
    If making money is your target then do wordpress

paparts, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  9. allancass

allancass Active Member

Best Answers:
    It will be interesting if someone has added a blog to their web sites and has experienced any change in SEO or traffic.
    Of course I mean a dedicated blog related to their products, not a general one.

10. kanubhai

kanubhai Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I am agree with your statement Google does not refer links those within blog, blog will best when blog pages included at your websites section and as all webmasters know that all the search engines just love informative contents and contents represents your sites reputation over the web world.

Isn't it???

kanubhai, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  11. allancass

allancass Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dear kanubahi
    I am not totally sure about that. Do-follow blogs (as I will set it up like that) generally should be OK with google I think. And the links should count. Of course I am not sure if google is not putting less weight on links from blogs as blogposting lately became the major source of spam along with social networks.
    Generally I am not also interested in back-links from those pages. I need them for content and in order rank better at search variations for my search phrases.

12. kiranvoleti

kiranvoleti Peon

Best Answers:
    My choice is wordpress....

kiranvoleti, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  13. obiztek

obiztek Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress blog with good content is better

obiztek, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  14. ObliviousOne

ObliviousOne Banned

Best Answers:
    A wordpress blog will benefit you much more in terms of SEO work and template design work since everything is readily available and there are a lot of plug-ins for your tasks.

ObliviousOne, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  15. welivethis

welivethis Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress with your own domain is definitely the way to go.

welivethis, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  16. allancass

allancass Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your feedback.
    The idea is to have blog.site.com and list there news on products.
    Do you think it is worth it?

17. dangregory

dangregory Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not have the best of both worlds and create an rss feed for your static html site? That works really well. You can ping the feed and make your site appear blog-like while at the same time avoiding all the hassles that come with blogs.

Dan

dangregory, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  18. allancass

allancass Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dear dangregory
    Actually I was thinking about something like that. Do you think there are any resources that can do that? I looked for PHP script that can automate RSS generation, but I did not find one.
    For example if it can scan a folder (maybe also its subfolders) and generate RSS.
    Have you heard of anything like that?

19. JasonLP

JasonLP Member

Best Answers:
    The search engines love Wordpress blogs, and with all the SEO plugins you can't go wrong. I use wordpress as a backbone for alot of my sites. It's also very flexible and the amount of things you can do with Wordpress as your CMS is almost unlimited.

JasonLP, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  20. bobbyt

bobbyt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Almost everyone here is for WordPress. However I am a little more conservative and would consider each to have its own benefits and disadvantages.

Many have argued that WP is perfectly SEO but the most they could offer is that the all-in-one-SEO-pack is awesome and will help optimize your WP better than any conventional methods. Any of those arguing actually tried experimenting how effective this plugin really is? Besides, I am sure you need to really know how to use your keywords and the plugin to reap most of its benefits. No doubt, I agree that WP is neat, easy to manage, convenient and is modern but that's just about it, not everything on the internet is dependent on WP, get that!

Individual pages on the other hand, I believe, has the highest SEO potential. You can optimize individual page without affecting other pages, with the best optimization methods applied differently to different pages, you don't have to keep anything in reserve for fear of that some keywords or methods not suitable for all pages across the entire site. Heard of on-page SEO? It is a real paying job, would the SEO experts keep their jobs if everyone just rely on all-in-one plugin? However, I think with individual pages, it will be harder to standardize all the pages and make them congruent to each other, resulting in the search engine looking at your site as a whole differently from a WP site. For better or for worse, you decide, or better experiment with both and let us know your findings.

Someone also suggested using RSS feed contents. I do not recommend this, firstly RSS feed content is not indexed by search engines. I may get bashed by SEO experts for saying that, so here's my second argument. Even if they are indexed, your site face the risk of search engine penalty for serving duplicate content. I am no expert, but I can safely say that this method does more harm than good.

bobbyt, Mar 21, 2009 IP