1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Non-English Content Writers Question

Discussion in 'General Business' started by AMac08, Mar 20, 2009.

This is just a quick question for people who outsource articles to writers where English is not their first language. Its also a question for the content writers themselves.

When ever I see PLR content or articles written by people whose first language is not English, I always wonder why they use such big words.

I see a lot of this kind of content absolutely loaded with big words that are usually used out of context and really do damage to the "flow" of the piece they are writing.

Is this as a result of the translation software you are using, on the Internet perhaps? Or is this the doing of article spinning software?

AMac08, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  2. raketeer_mom

raketeer_mom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I dont think non-english writers are using some software.

Since english is their second language, what they have written are the translation of what they think, and is not aware if it sounds awkward or not.

It does happen to me and I am not using a software.

cheers...

raketeer_mom, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  3. AMac08

AMac08 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah.

I don't mean anything negative by it.

But considering some of the content writers on't have English as a first language, its impressive they know the bigger words, but a shame they use them so much and occassionally out of context.

AMac08, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  4. devmishra

devmishra Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, its because they don't want to expose themselves as non-english, and use typical words a bit more to show they are native english writer.
    Me myself a freelancer at scriptlance but always take care of this point.
    "Sugar makes tea sweet , but excess sugar spoil it"

devmishra, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  5. english_monkey

english_monkey Peon

Best Answers:
    just write what comes naturally people want things explained in a friendly way - without jargon!

english_monkey, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  6. raketeer_mom

raketeer_mom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    some non-english writers and even non-writers think that they are better when they are using some jargons. :)

raketeer_mom, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  7. n00bmaster

n00bmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    The usage of jargons is more psychological than anything else. You can blame it on their mechanical approach.

Here in India, most individuals, when putting forth their first step in the market, have English as a prerequisite. We begin the "Dude talk only English, no Vernacular languages" thing right from school. And even verbal communication in English is more "inside the office" than anywhere else.

The general tendency that people develop is that, the more the usage of jargons in our copy, the more impressed the boss/professor will be. This is exactly what reflects in their written English, thereafter. :)

Ultimately, they stop calling the spade, a spade and call it maybe the Latin "spatha"

n00bmaster, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  8. thecarchoice

thecarchoice Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there's no harm in using big words, as long as you are not offending anyone.

thecarchoice, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  9. adrian88

adrian88 Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, i have had experience with a lot of articles that all have a very similar theme to it... big words that don't quite match together. when looking for writers, i would suggest looking for people who have extensive formal training in writing in english. as long as the grammar makes sense, then i would say that they are good.

i feel that writing takes a lot of precise understanding of what each word means and what the context is.

adrian88, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  10. AMac08

AMac08 Peon

Best Answers:
    thecarchoice,

I am not talking about anyone offending anyone, I am just talking about using big words incorrectly. It doesn't read well when the large words are being used too much and out of context.

Thanks for the responses here, I just wondered what the background was to this.

AMac08, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  11. rhoula

rhoula Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. I have noticed that many writers use big words. English is mu third language. And most of the time as raketeer_mom said when I write in English I find myself translating from french to English. Also some of the words that look as big words to you are just a unique translation of other words that are common words in other languages.

It is also very hard for a non English writer to make his point, that is why he gets confused and uses the first word that comes to his head.

Remember when it takes you more efforts than the usual, you may find yourself using translation to better express yourself.

This is just my opinion I could be wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

rhoula, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  12. jamaican007

jamaican007 Banned

Best Answers:
    In my experience they first spin them and then they correct them

jamaican007, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  13. Tatoosh

Tatoosh Peon

Best Answers:
    It may also be that larger words imply a better command of the language. So the use of words that may be uncommon to general conversation or writing signify in the ESL author's mind a greater command of the language. That it bumps the flow for many readers may not occur to them, at least initially.

Tatoosh, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  14. AMac08

AMac08 Peon

Best Answers:
    rhoula, I agree with what you are saying but should also, the way you write your english flows very micely for some one who has english as a third language. I couldn't do it. Thanks for your input.

AMac08, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  15. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I often find that the best articles are those that just use standard words, like in a standard conversation. If you were talking to your friend, you're unlikely to use really long, complicated words. I feel that if you write like this, it's not only easier to understand for the reader, but also connects with them, which can only be a good thing.

A phrase used that really applies in this case is 'Less is More'.

kiteguy123, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  16. AMac08

AMac08 Peon

Best Answers:
    Kiteguy, I agree with you completely.

AMac08, Mar 23, 2009 IP
  17. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Always a nice thing to hear ;)

Seriously though, when was the last time you used a word such as 'prequisition' in conversation?! If I'm completely honest, I don't think I've ever used it in conversation or ever heard anyone say it. I know it's a word, and I have a vague idea of what it means, so if that's coming from a native English content writer, what is someone from a country with English as a second language going to make of it?! :p:eek:

kiteguy123, Mar 23, 2009 IP