1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question About Top Spot Bidding

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Jackson Mahoney, Mar 16, 2009.

Question, ok, so its me and another guy bidding for one keyword. I am currently bidding a max CPC of $76/click. My quality score is GREAT 9/10. He is on the left side, I am on the right. Does this mean he is bidding/paying more than $76?

Bear in mind there are no other competitors. Currently, I am paying .10/click for 2nd ad spot ranking at my min CPC bid of $76.

My click thru rate is garbage cause everyone clicks his ad instead of mine, because he is on the left side. Just wondering if this is a lost cause or what your guys thoughts are on this.

Jackson Mahoney, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  2. drdigital

drdigital Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As far as I know, your ad gets approved manually before it appears in the in the highlighted boxes

drdigital, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  3. drdigital

drdigital Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    im assuming you are referring to the search network

drdigital, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  4. Jackson Mahoney

Jackson Mahoney Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm talking search results...I didn't know of a manual review to appear in the highlighted boxes, is that the case, really?

Jackson Mahoney, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  5. bhupendra1984

bhupendra1984 Peon

Best Answers:
    Confused.

PPC ads are not shown on right side of SERP, it is always displayed above or on the left hand side of organic results.

bhupendra1984, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  6. Idan - SEO Master

Idan - SEO Master Guest

Best Answers:
    Sound Interesting. I would like you to add a screen shot, so I would understand your problem better.

Idan - SEO Master, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  7. JHardy_WV

JHardy_WV Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, if you're second with .10 per click then I'm gonna assume here that traffic levels for that phrase are pretty low, so you may have to give it a while to start seeing clicks.

Second, how do you know the other guy is getting all the clicks? My experience is that often CTR is almost just as high in the top space on the right as it is when you're highlighted

You ads don't get approved manually to be in the highlighted boxes (at least not as far as I know - never heard that before - anyone else?)

What's your average position in your adwords account for that phrase? You might sometimes be at no.1 and sometimes at no.2

JHardy_WV, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  8. Jackson Mahoney

Jackson Mahoney Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, right now I don't care about being top spot, I was more wondering that If I am bidding $99, which I am now, is the guy above me paying somewhere in the range of $89/click, which he should be. Using the formula the Google guy said,

My QS is/was a 9 * 99 (my max cpc) = 891
    891/10 (his QS) = $89/click

Unless something super shady is going on, because I doubt he can afford that, but he's still ahead of me nonetheless.

So, I was just wondering, either left side sponsered ads don't factor into the equation, or this guy is spending like $80K/day, or its all B.S.

To let you know, I have had that top spot on the left hand side, and I know for a fact it gets 1000 clicks/day, and right now I get 3 clicks out of 2500 impressions/daily because I am top on the right hand side, which nobody cares about. My QS score is dropping like a rock, hehe, so he might be paying a little less, but not anymore less than like $25/click. It's one of those keywords where if you aren't on the left hand side, you ain't gonna get the clicks.

Jackson Mahoney, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  9. bjewelled

bjewelled Peon

Best Answers:
    Doubt it! I think you are confusing the AdRank formula with the one used to calculate actual CPC. Irrespective of your bids, if you are paying .10 per click with QS9 and assuming he has QS10 then he is going to be paying .10 also - in theory! (Google claim they only charge you what is required to beat the next position.)

If that is true, I would suggest your competitor must have a fantastically compelling site because I know if I was searching for something and there were only two ads I guarantee I would be clicking on both of them (if I ever clicked on sponsored results !!)

bjewelled, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  10. euhlir

euhlir Peon

Best Answers:
    It's probably just the placement protocol, not that he's bidding $100 and you about $70. I couldn't imagine though if you somehow got stuck having to pay $75 for a click. lol

euhlir, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  11. accho18

accho18 Peon

Best Answers:
    top spotting the spock in the fleck the flems. join the movies bidding on trademark for the holiday rushes

good luck bros!

accho18, Mar 19, 2009 IP