1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Making Your Words Do More Without Being Redundant

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Gavenecko, Mar 15, 2009.

I have dealt with plenty of frustrating clients and requests in the past. They want long articles for things that don't NEED long articles.
    Some people expect a 300 word description on a plain 4 drawer compartment, and there is really only so much you can say about a boring storage container.

So my question is, how can I meet their demands without being repetitive and overly "fluffy"? I despise repeating myself within an article, but sometimes I see no other way.

I already research my content until I have read every relevant article concerning it, so what do I do now? ​

Gavenecko, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  2. WritingConsultation

WritingConsultation Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are not alone in this case. Since you have to write 300 words on a plain drawer, maybe you can write about the descriptions of the drawer and later moving in to the uses of the drawer, where to get the drawer...

WritingConsultation, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  3. Daniel Marshal

Daniel Marshal Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the suggestion of writing consultation. I also face difficulties in writing on a similar topic all the time and it is really frustrating easy way out is to write as simple as possible.

Daniel Marshal, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  4. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the reason for the article, but if it's to promote the drawer then there are lots of angles you can go for. Less of a description of the drawer, more of what it can do for those who own it, why they will use it, what makes it unique in comparison to other drawers (whether that's price, material, availability, design etc.) If you think hard enough I'm sure you'll have more than enough words, without filling it with fluff at all.

That said, I understand the problem you face with clients who just ask for an arbitrary word length. Perhaps you can discuss your thoughts with them. At the very least they should be able to provide you with more information on the product to help, of not revise their requirements a little. I would never resort to repeating yourself in an article just to fill words.

Good luck.

mspennylane, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  5. sumit1710

sumit1710 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should ask the owner to give
    full specification beforehand.Storage
    container is funny example though :D

sumit1710, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  6. REALLY Made IN Canada

REALLY Made IN Canada Peon

Best Answers:
    Goals should drive the "pen".

If SEO is the objective and other content on the web (winning SERPs) merits the competition using 300 words for a "boring" object, see what you're competing with.

If the client feels that 300 words (or more) are a reasonable requirement to adequately describe their object, you might want to get (in point form) what they are thinking about (which you might be missing). Managing a client's expectations are part of a writer's job as well. If the client has expectations which are not founded in practical reality, you may want to budget some of those 300 words in a note to the client about why less would be sufficient.

As far as cranking out tons of (non-redundant) coherent text on topics which might otherwise be considered "boring", this task generally decreases in challenge as the experience and imagination of the writer increases. If you can't write 10 pages on any given topic which are compelling and rich in thematic terms, some workshops might be helpful. There are hundreds of launching points from the topic (history of the object, features/benefits, unique qualities, nurturing the need for the object, personifying the object, weaving in client's branding into the object, using the object as the seguay into learning more about the client).

Again, it really depends on WHY the text is "required". Either reduce the "requirement" or fulfill it.

REALLY Made IN Canada, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  7. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've never been a fan of word counting but unfortunately many see it as the only tangible way to "value" writing. That said, I despise those short little product descriptions that never answer my questions.

Seems strange that no one else has picked up on the words "plain" and "boring". It's no wonder that you are having trouble if that is how you truly feel about the product.

Think about how you examine something in the store and you might be astounded to realize just how much information you gather prior to making a purchase. 300 words? Just the questions I would ask prior to buying a storage container with drawers would exceed 300 words. Is it designed to hold shoes, sweaters, paper, toys, puzzles or what? Is it wood or plastic? If wood, what kind of wood? How big is it? How much weight can I put on top of it? Do I have to assemble it myself or does it come pre-assembled? What are the colors available? Are there any other coordinating pieces that I might want too? Starting to see my point?

For crying out loud, if you are touting yourself as a professional writer you should be able to write 300 words about a small pile of dirt if that's what the client wants.

YMC, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  8. Gavenecko

Gavenecko Member

Best Answers:
    Great suggestions! They have given me plenty of ideas. ^_^

Gavenecko, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  9. bollywoodgeeks

bollywoodgeeks Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess this is a common plight of all content writers. And everyone needs to find out their own unique way to fight with this problem… :)

bollywoodgeeks, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  10. Mmfh

Mmfh Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are having a problem figuring out more to say what about looking at the manufacturing process. Methods used to make it and the process compared to how others are made.
    If you look at it as a annal engineer type buyer you will probably find more info.
    good Luck!

Mm

Mmfh, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  11. EspressoChick

EspressoChick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Speaking as someone who once wrote 60 articles on laser hair removal: I feel your pain. :) I know what it is like to search for something to say - when you feel like you've really already said it.

Try thinking of situations people would use the object, solutions it could solve, reasons people would be really happy to have this drawer thing instead of something else, why would they want the drawer thing instead of something else, what would someone do if they didn't have a drawer thing, what type of people would use a drawer thing (which I'm assuming would be everyone...adults and kids alike so you could talk about that some). Think of the ideal customer for the product and who would ideally read the article - what they would want to read about. Think about what questions they might have about the product and what they'd want answered.

Keep writing! :)

EspressoChick, Mar 20, 2009 IP