1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

looking for some really good suggestion..

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by prep, Mar 10, 2009.

hello everyone,

I believe learning is an ongoing process and one must not deprive him of any such sort of opportunity. I have been searching a lot of places and resources from where I can learn more and more about the usage and other important things about the language...although i never neglect the importance of reading and so I devote some of my time in reading..
    So can anyone help me out in this..Suggest me some resources etc...
    Also i would appreciate if someone can explain here what a run on sentence is ?
    i believe you can never be a master of any language but can try your level best to get hold on it and I am just trying to do so..

thank you!!

prep, Mar 10, 2009 IP
  2. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is the wikipedia entry for run on sentences that might help you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-on_sentence

Copywriters like to keep writing to the point. Short sentences that people can digest quickly. So they usually try to avoid run on sentences. Long sentences, or even short ones, that aren't properly punctuated just aren't easy to read.

mspennylane, Mar 15, 2009 IP
    prep likes this.
  3. theprofitablecopywriter

theprofitablecopywriter Peon

Best Answers:
    Some of the best books that I've read about language and how to use it effectively in your writing were from a man named Rudolf Flesch.

Here are 3 classics from Flesch that are worth the read.

The Classic Guide to Better Writing: Step-by-Step Techniques and Exercises to Write Simply, Clearly and Correctly

The Art of Readable Writing: With the Flesch Readability Formula

The Art of Plain Talk

You can find them all on amazon.

I should also mention that these books are not new, but they are very helpful for learning how to use the english language in such a way to communicate better.

theprofitablecopywriter, Mar 16, 2009 IP
    prep likes this.
  4. Textor

Textor Active Member

Best Answers:
    The best way of learning to write is reading a lot. You write what you read.

Textor, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  5. AttaBoy

AttaBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    a run-on sentence is when two or more thoughts try to take the same sentence for a ride.
    I want to go to the store and they have candy and the girl at the is cute but I don't think she will go out with me and I am still hungry.

AttaBoy, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  6. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You must first master the language that you're wanting to write in. Without being fluent in said language, you will never be able to effectively write it.

Senobia, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  7. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommend taking some classes at a community college. But I don't know where you live. There are online classes with colleges and you can enroll in a class. That way someone looks at what you write and finds the errors and you learn from it.

webgal, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  8. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. It's a better learning experience when somebody critiques your work and show you how you can improve your writing better.

cd928, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  9. Mahamaya

Mahamaya Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no better way to improve your command over the language than to read a lot in that language. Read a lot of books,newspapers,talk to your friends,watch TV and so on

Mahamaya, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  10. robertstr

robertstr Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, this is a run on sentence. A run on occurs when two full sentences are put together without punctuation. You have two full sentences:

1. Our mom got into a car accident
    2. She had to get eye surgery to fix the damage from the crash.

There are several ways to correct a run-on.

1. Use a comma+ FANBOYS (for, and, nor, but, or yet, so)
    example: Our mom got into a car accident, and she had to get eye surgery to fix the damage from the crash.

2. Use a semi colon by itself.
    example: Our mom got into a car accident; she had to get eye surgery to fix the damage from the crash.

3. Use a semi-colon+ conjunctive adverb+ comma
    example: Our mom got into a car accident; as a result, she had to get eye surgery to fix the damage from the crash.

4. Use a colon when the second sentence reveals more information about the first. This does apply in your case.
    example: Our mom got into a car accident: she had to get eye surgery to fix the damage from the crash.

I hope you will make a progress in study :D

robertstr, Mar 22, 2009 IP
  11. prep

prep Peon

Best Answers:
    How much would you charge for online classes...:p

thanks you guys..!!! i got some real good suggestions....
    I am wondering is my language that bad or i haven't met any critique...

But i am really thankful for all those who posted above..!!

prep, Mar 24, 2009 IP
  12. NiceFairPrice

NiceFairPrice Peon

Best Answers:
    If you learn when to use "then" and when to use "than" properly, it is a good start. I have read newspapers, magazines and countless websites and blogs with "then" and "than" misused. It drives me crazy.

Ok, with that said, here are some classics to study English:

1. The Elements of Style by E.B. White

2. Writing Well by Donald Hall

3. Harbrace College Handbook (a great grammar book) by John C. Hodges and Mary E. Whitten

It is admirable that you want to work hard to improve your grasp of the written English language. Best wishes to you!

NiceFairPrice, Mar 25, 2009 IP
    prep likes this.