1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why My Site Not on DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Eric007, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do your posts sounds more and more like Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf press releases each day? :D

Ivan Bajlo, Mar 9, 2009 IP
    trichnosis likes this.
  2. AMF.info

AMF.info Peon

Best Answers:
    From DMOZ editor, I won just insults and humiliation. DMOZ is dead for me.

AMF.info, Mar 15, 2009 IP
    trichnosis likes this.
  3. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ask 'am i a dmoz editor?' question? if your answer is no, your site will never have dmoz listing. dmoz is spam directory for the dmoz editors

trichnosis, Mar 15, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am glad to say that i have listed at least 20,000 sites over nearly 9 years, and you know I don't have one live site in the directory. Perhaps they are all a figment of my imagination, or perhaps you are just spamming here with lies.

Anonymously, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  5. Kramboi

Kramboi Banned

Best Answers:
    The amount of spam I have seen there is BS

Kramboi, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  6. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have noticed listings which have no value, I hope you will let us know. There are automated tools to check for dead sites, but "humans do it better", and volunteers appreciate assistance with quality control. You can use the Update feature in the relevant category, or post in the Quality Control thread at Resource Zone, where you will likely get a prompt response.
    So instead of simply shouting wildly about unspecified spam in DMOZ, how about doing something useful instead, and reporting it. ;)

makrhod, Mar 15, 2009 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    As you also say, we wlecome reports of spam in the directory, but there are many shouts and no proof.

You know as well as I do that shouting here about the spam in DMOZ is because webmasters can't get their spam sites in.

Anonymously, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  8. myosh

myosh Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally don't care if my website not listed on DMOZ. To me DMOZ is nothing. DMOZ just like the other web directory and I don't bother or waste my time to submit my website to DMOZ. What's the point to be on DMOZ if your online business don't grow? Do DMOZ help you to grow your online business? My answer is NOT. So, why bother?

myosh, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  9. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is another crap like Chrome is. I dont see any reason why anybody will search in DMOZ and not in Google. They take ages while considering whether to add your site or not, and who knows what bias their so called editors are having? They might be taking side money while allowing some sites in. It is better to be upfront in money matters, like Yahoo directory. But stupid Google still believes in the ODP and the DMOZ. So thats why I submit to them anyways and forget about it

Traffic-Bug, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  10. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Anonymously;

I have reported one web spam site which has 2 listins on dmoz 2 YEARS AGO. And that report is not checked yet.:pis it a proof you?:p that web site is known as spam web site on my language . everybody says that web site says but it has 2 dmoz listings. i'm sure that web site is owned by dmoz editor or a friend of a dmoz editor.

there is only one spam message on this thread it's yours

trichnosis, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It would really depend on the definition of proof and the definition of spam. It's clear that an editors site that is listed over ten thousands times that does not fit the guidelines is perfectly fine to list. That, accordingly is NOT spam, as it was a staff decision... SOOOOO I guess it falls down to what the ODP defines as SPAM....

Qryztufre, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  12. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Site Selection Criteria

Spamming has the same definition in ODP as anywhere else - an excess of unwanted messages.

jimnoble, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Oh, like say 10k++ listings of duplicate/syndicated content? ;)

You are right, the ODP doesn't have that, not even with Skrenta's affiliated listings :rolleyes:

Free from an excess of unwanted messages indeed!

Qryztufre, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  14. fanaticalcontent

fanaticalcontent Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ can take up to 6 months to get accepted, and if you babble on too much in your description of your site, or don't provide exact what they want there's a good chance your site won't get listed.

fanaticalcontent, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  15. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Fortunately for webmasters, the amount of babble in the suggested description has nothing to do with whether or not that suggestion is listed. Editors expect to have to rewrite the title and description to meet ODP editing guidelines, and in almost 100,000 edits I think I have not had to do this only 3 or 4 times LOL.

The factors deciding if a site is listed (whether it is suggested by a webmaster or found somewhere else by a volunteer) are clearly listed here: Site Selection Criteria.

makrhod, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  16. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your site suggestion. :D

makrhod, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Hey be careful, you will drop that baby with all these posturings. Just remember that you were more than happy to have your site listed there and most distressed to have it removed, Skrenta's affiliated listings or not.

Anonymously, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    My site was listed ONCE and by a human hand. It's full of unique content and fits within the guidelines. I have several subforums which fit within other areas of the directory... are you saying that all of those should be listed? They are not syndicated or duplicates, unlike the 10K ++ sites of Skrenta.

Are you trying to say that multiple listings full of duplicate content from a single site that were not put there by a human hand are more important to the ODP then deep links of another site that potentially would be added by a human hand and that truly do fit the criteria for being listed?

Qryztufre, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  19. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    categories in languages which metas don't understand are basically without any kind of control, quickest way to report a website is to post it here like me :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Mar 17, 2009 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Roll on Floor laughing.

Interesting definition of spam you have. Why did you bother reporting a couple of sites if the directory is full of spam and why remember it now. Can't you get your spam sites in? Sorry old bean.

Interesting, you know, I don't have a single site listed in DMOZ. yet I have listed 20,000 of other people's sites. Now that's an interesting fact looking at your red rep.

Anonymously, Mar 20, 2009 IP