1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google's new adsense approach

Discussion in 'Google' started by dugu, Mar 13, 2009.

I logged on this morning in my Google account and found and interesting mail from Google team. It seems Google is finally taking the leap towards highly targeted advertising and introduces category based ads. Although I think this approach slightly threatens each of our privacy, I expect to see improvements in my CTR and eCPM. You can read more about this here:
    http://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/topic.py?topic=20310
    http://adsense.blogspot.com/2009/03/driving-monetization-with-ads-that.html
    What's your opinion on this?

dugu, Mar 13, 2009 IP
    kanwarjot likes this.
  2. netaddict41

netaddict41 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Have found it and I even wrote a blog post on it. Very interesting. But as I said in my blog post. People are fickle creatures. They change interests in a split second. Wonder how Google will handle that

netaddict41, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  3. islesv

islesv Peon

Best Answers:
    Google will have in its database the behavior of millions of web users, and those users, by visiting your site, implicitly allows Google to track them. This is good news for us publishers, but I am not so sure what would be the reaction of the normal, regular web user.

islesv, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  4. simple007

simple007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that's a good news, do i have an option to choose targeted/non-targeted ads ??? So far i haven't see it on my adsense page ..

simple007, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  5. Giamatti

Giamatti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    im real excited about that new feauture, however i dont see this optyion yet. anyone thinks this is for certain publishers only

Giamatti, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  6. whodi

whodi Peon

Best Answers:
    This is not good at all.... Often times more than 1 person uses the same computer....

whodi, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  7. ChristianPF

ChristianPF Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whodi, you bring up a good point - I wonder if they are going to put more emphasis on the most recent cookies... say someone visits 10 travel sites in a row and then goes to a news site, I guess they can expect to see a travel ad pop up...

ChristianPF, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  8. wp-themes

wp-themes Banned

Best Answers:
    Have got the same email today, and other people here in DP where discussing the same...
    However, Thanks for sharing dude ;)

wp-themes, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  9. becoolufull

becoolufull Banned

Best Answers:
    yup i receive the mail a day before

becoolufull, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  10. piratesbi

piratesbi Peon

Best Answers:
    hay.....google don't use popup ads :mad:

piratesbi, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  11. kanwarjot

kanwarjot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    After reading here, i checked my email and found that good news was lying in my box un attended :rolleyes:

kanwarjot, Mar 13, 2009 IP
    snowbird likes this.
  12. supervaca

supervaca Member

Best Answers:
    So anybody knows what exactly we have to say in our privacy policies?

supervaca, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  13. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it's a figure of speech and means 'show up'

monosodium, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  14. Bre

Bre Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not very happy about it as a Web publisher and a user. In fact, I just set my browser preferences to "block all cookies" after I read the Google email.

As a user, I have many interests; I'm three dimensional. I could visit 20 to 30 very different Web sites in a day, especially if I'm doing research for school. But just because I like make-up, does not mean I don't want to know about credit default swaps. How will Google choose? Toss a coin? ... No thanks! If I do a Google search for "credit default swaps," don't show me ads for Maybelline's hot new eyeshadow. C'mon. :rolleyes:

Bre, Mar 13, 2009 IP
  15. dugu

dugu Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's because you're a webmaster. Normal people tend to visit same type of sites in a session. That is why I consider this good news.

dugu, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  16. engineerroy2008

engineerroy2008 Member

Best Answers:
    How this will help the end user or normal search, i really dont understand this concept. I am sure that google running out of ad inventory and doing some marketing hype with this way.

engineerroy2008, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  17. REALLY Made IN Canada

REALLY Made IN Canada Peon

Best Answers:
    To some degree, this may lessen the importance of on-page content. I put a lot of resource into ensuring that my pages are targeted and thematic. I'm always impressed/pleased/relieved when the ads showing up are bang on for what I hoped the content would suggest.

Now, and I believe this "behaviour" has been going on for a while (unofficially), a page could potentially yield ads the owner of the site/publisher will never even see.

Until now, we could always check our pages and see what kind of ads are appearing based on our content/design. Sometimes the ROI on a page can be tweaked with this feedback.

With this new functionality, if our returns fluctuate, we have a "black box" impacting our sales and we can't really do anything (on-site) to improve things. Of course, we're all banking on G's experience in "profiling" and hope this will yield more dollars from the same pages, but this takes a bit more control away from our own sites.

It would be nice if publishers had the choice to enable/disable this enhanced off-site-profiling/on-site-targeting to test/measure the effectiveness.

REALLY Made IN Canada, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  18. lxguy

lxguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also received such an email several days ago.

lxguy, Mar 14, 2009 IP
  19. dugu

dugu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, it's pretty simple. Google uses the history of each web surfer in order to determine its interest. Read the thread!
    I'm pretty sure that's not a marketing hype, as Google has serious financial history. Profits have been growing continuously for the last year. 10 billon $/year company, and you think this simple mail is a marketing hype? You obviously don't have a clue on what going on in this world!

dugu, Mar 16, 2009 IP
  20. dieze

dieze Guest

Best Answers:
    Had the same mail days ago. Hopefully this will rise the ECPM since the ads will be more targeted

(Hi also)

dieze, Mar 16, 2009 IP