1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Google SiteMaps Dead?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by dougadam, Jun 21, 2006.

1. KathyHS

KathyHS Peon

Best Answers:
    Prior to Google's sitemap thingee I had a bit over 100K pages indexed. With the sitemap (the next day after submission) I have over 400K indexed pages now for my main site.

This is great since I had been fretting, trying to get all the pages indexed.

KathyHS, Jun 22, 2006 IP
  2. gamblesky

gamblesky Peon

Best Answers:
    I can see that google bot visited my site everyday but not index my site. My site do have some incoming links. I have waited for 2 months.

gamblesky, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  3. System32

System32 Peon

Best Answers:
    Before i did not make sitemap my indexes are very low number and old. But after i made sitemap, google started to index my pages quickly, and index number increased.

System32, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  4. BrianR2

BrianR2 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi KathyHS. What is your site's PageRank?

BrianR2, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  5. Internet-Marketing-cr

Internet-Marketing-cr Peon

Best Answers:
    I have set up google sitemaps to my site, I did it about three weeks ago, I had only 5 pages displayed by google back then, now I got all the pages indexed to my site (89 pages), so it is working for me now and I am getting some good feedback from sitemaps.

Internet-Marketing-cr, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  6. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really think there are no benefits too but their could be some impacts, i once add more content on one of my sites and forgot to update the google sitemap. 2 weeks after that the pages wasn't indexed by google yet. Then i updated the sitemap and they got indexed within a week. I built some backlinks in that period that granted me to be crawled and indexed by G but it wasn't! Thats weird.

I find the results of awstats more relevant than the one on the sitemap. The only thing that caught my interest in it is the Pagerank gauge :p

irka, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  7. dg0896

dg0896 Banned

Best Answers:
    I have a question, I Googlebot is ALWAYS online at my forum, whenever I look at the who is online page, 90% of the time, googlebot is online, but it seems to never index the site, because the site in google is never updated, why is this?

dg0896, Jun 23, 2006 IP
  8. Laszlo

Laszlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I also created a sitemap for my site yesterday using Google Sitemaps.
    Prior to that I olso only the index page and 20 other page that are removed from my server about six months ago was showing on Google.

Right now I have 2000 pages pages on my site and I included them all on the sitemap.
    The status of the Sitemap is showing as OK on Google Sitmaps too.
    without any errors.
    However i have the same situation that after 24 hours i dont see any new pages beeing indexed. From 1994 pages only my homepage is indexed although many pages has a pr of 4 by the Google toolbar, but I don't see them in the indexed pages.

I think it is obvious that goggle has serious issues with indexing pages.
    I have 299 incoming links to my site including Yahoo directory and despite all of this I have one page indexed.

What should I do wait ? Thanks Laszlo the printer-supply guy.

Laszlo, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  9. jim_rockingham

jim_rockingham Guest

Best Answers:
    I believe the only value to sitemaps are the statistics. Look under statistics, page analysis and examine your "In external links to your site" to check the results of how google sees the links inbound to your site. I thinks its worth the pain of using sitemaps just for this information alone.

jim_rockingham, Jul 2, 2006 IP
  10. muaythai

muaythai Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't find that unde my page analysis?

muaythai, Jul 2, 2006 IP
  11. Laszlo

Laszlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I checked the site statistic link and as of yet (after two days) nothing happened. I have one page (index) indexed from the close to 2000 and from the 299 inbound links Goggle seees only three. It dosen't even list my inbound link from yahoo directory.

Goggle is sucks. It doesn't work.

Laszlo, Jul 2, 2006 IP
  12. Solver

Solver Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you still have them in the index?

Solver, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  13. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Well what can we expect. It says "beta". :/

noppid, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  14. [*-AnOnYmOuS-*]

[*-AnOnYmOuS-*] Active Member

Best Answers:
    Or maybe it's just cause it has been upgrading their site and everything,G. For me ,everything is working fine, but in the Index Simmary,

[*-AnOnYmOuS-*], Jul 3, 2006 IP
  15. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Look at statistics. They are no where near reality if you cross reference them. :/

noppid, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  16. tacoX

tacoX Peon

Best Answers:
    Truthfully - don't take the risk of joining it. And I agree with ned, sitemaps are generally useless (assuming you have a generally easy layout and now more than 2-tier pages).

Just my two cents.

tacoX, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  17. rbleyer

rbleyer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I must say again - I think Google Sitemaps is great. I dont submit a sitemap for any of the sites - I just add the URL. Features can really help you with your site. You also get to see Real PR (at least low / medium / high) at all times rather than waiting til the G toolbar is updated. You get to learn alot more on how google works and thinks.

I have some new sites I can see will be PR5/6 next update. Other new sites that will only have PR3/PR4. You get to see where google sees you ranking for key phrases taking the guess work out of when you site is properly indexed some people call this out of sandbox.

Google by far the search engine that gets results. It is the engine that you really want to rank in. With MSN or Yahoo I find much easier to get high rankings and especially so much easier to get new sites ranking well. When you crack google though - you give up your day job and enjoy large internet profit.

Good luck everyone with your sites!

rbleyer, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  18. jquindlen

jquindlen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm mixed on the Sitemaps issue. I am using my Atom 0.3 feed as my site map. According to the sitemaps site, Google is checking my site about once a day, however the last time the indexed my site was well over a week ago, and my whole site has completely changed and tons of content has been added. The thing is that I submitted my sitemap after those changes and it hasn't seemed to help get google to reindex my site any faster.

jquindlen, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  19. IamNed

IamNed Peon

Best Answers:
    They dont work. It is a issue of supply and demand. there are only a finite number of google spiders to go around. If sitemaps improved indexing millions of webmaster would be submitting millions of pages and the whole system would be overwhelmed. The is no such thing as a free lunch. You want indexing you have pay up.

IamNed, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  20. ravi.tamada

ravi.tamada Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried the google sitemaps with my 2 sites.. The result was seen positively in 2 days not only with my site but also many others.. Not sure if the google takes more than 2-3 days. Do try to attach the file again. Ensure you have deleted the existing attached file.

ravi.tamada, Jul 7, 2006 IP