1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Optimal Density and Prominence

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Ferrarislave, Jun 28, 2006.

What is the optimal density and prominence for a website? From what I know around 6-7% is optimal. But it varies by search engine, is this true? Can anyone give some feedback, thanks

Ferrarislave, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  2. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

If you mean keyword density then forget it, keyword density has not been a factor in SE algorithms for at least 5 years, just write good copy.

- Michael

Michael, Jun 28, 2006 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  3. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'd have to agree, I never ever bother checking keyword density. It's actually possible to get a page to rank for a phrase that's not even on the page.

Of course it's easier if you do include it, try to get it in the titles, H1/2/3 tags, bold/italic text alt tags etc, but it's more important just to make sure it reads properly.

MattUK, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  4. sarahkitchen

sarahkitchen Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree that h1 tags and bold/italic, and alt tags are more important

sarahkitchen, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  5. Ashish-Seo

Ashish-Seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, for keyword density we use 5-7% value for the body text but this can again vary with kind of competition you are having and topic sensitivity.

Ashish-Seo, Jul 2, 2006 IP
  6. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    I typically aim for a keyword density around 3% - 6%, and agree that it's important to include keywords in H1 tags, bold, and italics (but only one at a time), as well as in alt tags. It's also helpful to include your keywords in your URL, page title, meta tags, and at the very beginning (top left) and very end (bottom right) of your page. :)

HTH,
    Sam

WebFreedom, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  7. duilen

duilen Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are plugging your exact keyword into 5-7% of the text that would equal about 1 keyword per sentence. I don’t see how you can write meaningful content with that much kw stuffing. Don’t worry about density. Naturally you should be in the 1-3% range which is fine.

duilen, Jul 5, 2006 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  8. Ferrarislave

Ferrarislave Peon

Best Answers:
    My density is around 4.7% currently for the keyword I want to target. It's not just in paragraphs, but also headings, navigation etc... so it adds up.

I understand that Google isn't typically a big fan of densitys higher then 5-6% correct? But sites like Yahoo, and MSN are. Is this true?

Ferrarislave, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  9. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

Boy this keyword density myth sure has taken hold :D

- Michael

Michael, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  10. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    The search engines once did use keyword density as a measurement criterion, but have moved away from it recently due to the abuses of keyword spamming. As I said in my post above, I typically try to keep my density between 3% - 6% - this assures that the keyword is prevalent in the text, while at the same time making it a natural and easy read for my visitors. :)

Sam

WebFreedom, Jul 9, 2006 IP