1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pinging google every time you update content?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Omas, Mar 4, 2009.

Somewhere in DP i saw a guy who created autoping scipt for his forum which pings google every time a new thread is started. Do you think its a good idea? I have a forum with 15,5k members and ~100 new threads daily so it basically would ping google 100 times a day. Wouldnt google mark it as some kid of spam?

Omas, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  2. shailendra

shailendra Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't think it is of any use as you can't command Google to come to your site whenever you want. moreover, sending a signal that you have updated something too is of less importance

shailendra, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  3. vithca

vithca Guest

Best Answers:
    I suspect Google, and most other ping services, would block your IP address very quickly.

vithca, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    The crux is what "content" comprises. A forum is expected to have content that changes more or less by the minute, and it would be folly--and doubtless piss the SEs--to ping for every new post.

Ordinary site pages are another matter. Using the tool in my sig block, I have a dozen or so sites for which 100K+ pages change, at least to some extent, daily; I auto-ping the major SEs whenever a day's update run is completed, and my sites seems to have done pretty well over the years.

Owlcroft, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  5. tommseo

tommseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Ping is not important , if you have quality links, quality content your spiders would love to visit your website.

tommseo, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  6. manish.chauhan

manish.chauhan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    exactly... you do not need to ping every time when you update content. If your have some potential web links, crawlers will automatically follow and index your content...:)

manish.chauhan, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  7. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a regularly updated blog with PR2/3 (or more), google often indexes new content rather quickly.

jitendraag, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  8. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    While all the remarks about what the SEs "automatically" do are probably correct, they ignore the basic principle of success (at SEO or anything):

If it can't actually hurt, do it.

There's no measurable cost associated with pinging the SEs when there are changes in your pages; so why not let them know, just to (as Shakespeare put it) "make assurance doubly sure"? It might get you visited sooner, or more often, or it might not; but, again, it can't hurt, so why not do it?

That is especially the case if your site contains a large number of dynamic pages whose content--or even numbers and names--can and do change frequently. The package in my sig block produces a block of files that really does change, at least somewhat, from run to run (typically daily); it automaps its results and auto-pings the SEs daily, and the results seem to be pretty good.

Owlcroft, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  9. Reigne

Reigne Peon

Best Answers:
    I use ping to cache other pages I want to cache, I think this is helpful in indexing new pages.

Reigne, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  10. mrandrei

mrandrei Peon

Best Answers:
    Pinging google isn't that necessary. Google automatically crawls the site when new content is posted in it.

mrandrei, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  11. JessieJames27

JessieJames27 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ping is effective on my sites. I use a software to ping the links I get for all of my site.

JessieJames27, Mar 5, 2009 IP
  12. gusher08

gusher08 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think pinging your pages really helps

gusher08, Mar 6, 2009 IP
  13. homfuc

homfuc Peon

Best Answers:
    submitting new content to some social bookmarking services help quite more

homfuc, Mar 6, 2009 IP