1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to prevent unauthorized access to a network through INTERNET

Discussion in 'Security' started by Bohol, Mar 3, 2009.

Can you help me suggest best and top security measures aimed to prevent unauthorized access to a network through its INTERNET connection? Thank you.

Bohol, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  2. DigitalChuck

DigitalChuck Peon

Best Answers:
    geez, where's Kevin Mitnick when you need him.....

The only sure-fire method I know of is to completely disconnect the Local network from the outside world all together. But that defeats your purpose. So here's my uneducated 2 cents. :)

I would recommend a HARDWARE firewall, and some flavor of 'nix or bsd for your local server.

If you really like windows then Winblows Server 2003/2008 + ISA server and whatever the next 50 posts recommend. You should be able to tighten up your Network a little by tweaking

But I might just be talking out of my arse!

Also - a software program like peerguardian² or a similar title should help you block a LOT of those incoming naughty IP's - but not everything - you can use peerguardian and build a custom list that would block ALL IP's except your local range - but that's only for windows - and it's a bit buggy on Vista - there are other ways to employ the IP blocking. - Just an idea ;)

hopefully someone will post something more useful soon.

Best of luck friend!

DigitalChuck, Mar 3, 2009 IP
    Bohol likes this.
  3. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you Digitalchuck for sharing your tips. I hope to get more insights and tips from other DP members.

Bohol, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. step
    remove all security feature
    then scan your network using nessus
    then remove / solve any security issues listed and reactivate your default security features

2. step
    install snort !!! using all the security signatures relevant to your applications installed on netword

install mod_security2 on apache

install root kit, etc

scan all site / all uploaded files daily or during upload

limit access to your network to the most restrictive possible
    best allowing NO access at all from outside

since you have very basic questions - review your own qualifications and preparation / readiness to HAVE a network
    to have a network connected to the world definitely will cost you ALL peace of mind until you are heavily experienced pro and keep your site / network as simple as possible

NO hosting company can keep a network clean and free of hackers
    I have never heard nor seen a hosting company being able to do so ... for simple lack of qualification and lack of time to keep UP with cyber criminals technical development

how do you as a single person expect that be managed by you ?

if your signature is what you do - then your customers are your greatest risk factor

hans, Mar 4, 2009 IP