1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hit by search engines

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Noddegamra, Mar 2, 2009.

This is a problem I am mainly experiencing with Google, but not sure as to why.

I have a blog which for a few days brings in thousands of unique visitors when I create a good article. It is a blogspot blog but has it's own URL and various customisations to improve its SEO (although I'm aware you can only go so far. But hey, it's free hosting. Which is what I really need it for right now).

Now this keeps happening. I write the odd decent article and it brings in great traffic, ranking at the number 1 spot for various search terms (even against some major players). Then suddenly "bang". I can't seem to find my page anywhere for those search terms anymore.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? (bearing in mind that I have done no black-hat seo techniques, or anything "unsporting". Just good content).

Noddegamra, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  2. shailendra

shailendra Peon

Best Answers:
    search engines keep on deciding the relevancy of the content in relation to the results to be displayed. moreover, fresh articles get crawled and are displayed for few terms but temporarily because they don't have any commercial value attached to them especially if they are about some product or service. they have direct competition with the brands offering them. therefore the presence via these articles is always temporary and not permanent

shailendra, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  3. Ryan@SEOBackup

Ryan@SEOBackup Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a blog for you :)

Try building links into the pages you particularly want to keep - that should keep them indexed

Ryan@SEOBackup, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  4. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:
    New articles tend to get a temporary boost. I believe this is designed to give breaking news a chance to rank quickly. However, if no links are then built to it, your rank will drop again.

Not sure if you're already utilising it, but you might consider promoting something like this on stumbleupon and other social networks, then you won't be as dependant on search traffic.

T_Media, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  5. Mike Andorra

Mike Andorra Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there are two things at work. Like someone else said, new items can get a temporary boost and then drop. The second issue is getting and staying indexed. If you can't find your article after a while, Google is dropping it out of the index because it thinks it's not important enough. The solution to this is to give it more pagerank, either from internal or external links.

Mike Andorra, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  6. Noddegamra

Noddegamra Peon

Best Answers:
    For the most significant search term, I am now listed as 4th. I imagine it just completely disappeared as google was calculating re-ordering for the item after the initial "boost".

It was great being at the top for a short while. :)

Noddegamra, Mar 3, 2009 IP