1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO and Blogging

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by sportsguru, Feb 23, 2005.

I created my first blog about 6 weeks ago. I got into blogging after reading how so many others supposedly get new domains ranked on page 1 of the major search engines in record time - usually a week or so.

Well, I got excited when for this 3 word title I had chosen did indeed end up at #1 on Yahoo! Search after about 8 days. That was a test. Then I selected this major keyword phrase and switched the title of my blog to it. Much to my chagrin (but not surprise) now a few weeks later and the magic is gone - no high rankings for the new title. Now this new title is most likely considered a commercial keyword phrase by Google, Yahoo, etc. So evidently the search engines have a way of making sure that blogs can only rank well for non-commercial words. Is there any way around this?

Also, oddly enough, with my present 3 word title, if I add on the word blog to the end of the title - even though blog is not part of my blogs title, then yes the @!$^&&& search engines have it ranked at #1 for the 4 word version.

Now with the old title - it ranked at #1 for just the 3 word title - you didn't have to add on the word blog.

Is there any way around this, or are the engineers at Google and Yahoo just too darn smart? :rolleyes:

sportsguru, Feb 23, 2005 IP
  2. TiGG

TiGG Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it has to do with the term, i think its b/c when yahoo redid their my.yahoo page they changed it around completely and the magic trick with yahoo is gone. I also got 4 blogs in the top 10 then I decided to go all out and made about 5 more a couple days later, all on noncommercial terms, no luck... just happened to be that yahoo changed their my yahoo setup during that time. Probably has to do with how they handle rss refreshes and index new blog content, the old blogs still rank well.

TiGG, Feb 23, 2005 IP
  3. jasonleexxx

jasonleexxx Guest

Best Answers:
    How long ago did this happen? B/c i see jan 2005 blog sites ranking #1 for my keyword terms?

jasonleexxx, Feb 24, 2005 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    A Blog isn't a magic solution to getting on the first page for whatever term you desire.

Most Blogs are naturally SEO'd, but that doesn't mean that you can stop getting backlinks for the phrases you desire or just stop writing content...

What kind of blog software are you using?

SEbasic, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  5. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Yeah, sounds to me like you are just trying to get ranked for a more competitive term. I don't think you can draw your conclusions from the data at hand.

chachi, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  6. sportsguru

sportsguru Peon

Best Answers:
    What on earth since you don't even know me or anything would POSSESS you to make a post itimating that I don't have backlinks?!?

FYI, my site according to the Widexl tool says my site has over 78,000 backlinks in total! How's that for getting backlinks.

And before you make some other ignorant (based on lack of knowledge) comment that I bought the links - NO I didn't - I earned them over the last 4 months the hard way - directory submissions, writing articles and submitting them to a plethora of article directories, doing reciprocal link building out the ying-yang, doing blogging, the list is endless.

I was simply conducting an experiment that seems to indicate that for NON-commercial keywords you can blog your way to #1 on Yahoo; but for COMMERCIAL keywords you evidently can't.

Back to your stupid comments - I see that all the time on many forums; where someone that doesn't even know the poster in question, has never even SEEN their website will come on forums such as this one and make rediculous judgements about the person's website or SEO ability or whatever - if you only knew how STUPID that makes you look.....

sportsguru, Feb 25, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    1) Frankly Sports Guru... Had you actually detailed what you had done, then maybe the suggestions would have been a little bit more helpful.

2) I couldn't care less how you got the links

3) I don't need to be spoken to like that. I NEVER implied that you didn't know what you were doing, I merely stated you still need to get links and then enquired as to what blogging software you were using (Which you neglected to tell me).

4) Do you know who looks stupid now?

5) I've gonna give you neg rep because I don't need to get some shitty attitude from someone I'm actually trying to help.

:)

SEbasic, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  8. sportsguru

sportsguru Peon

Best Answers:
    No offense MORON; but I don't need help from a LOSER like you.

sportsguru, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  9. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Well... I wish you the best of luck...

SEbasic, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  10. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, guru, you need to chill out a bit.

SEBasic helps a lot of people on this forum. He asked a simple question, and made some fairly good suggestions and you take offense?

Ever think that maybe the commercial keyword has sites that also have thousands of backlinks and optimized anchor text? If it's not "commercial" I'm willing to bank that the optimization efforts for other competing sites isn't that great.

Infiniterb, Feb 25, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  11. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sportsguru, please don't take offence here, but why on earth have you just shot off with a flame at SEbasic? Honestly, please re read his post, it is not at alll offensive, in fact it is just three lines of text with a couple of statements, and a question.

Honestly this appears to be a simple misunderstanding.

Old Welsh Guy, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  12. Ron R

Ron R Guest

Best Answers:
    In your first post you say you created the blog 6 weeks ago, later you claim to have been building back links over the last 4 months.

I think you created the confusion yourself, and you owe someone an apology.

Ron R, Feb 26, 2005 IP