1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website & Blog Dupe Content

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Nitzundscheisse, Mar 1, 2009.

My main website has articles, and reviews, but little traffic as it has recently launched.

I'm thinking of creating a blog at blogger.com, and creating new posts and copying the content from my main website to each post. So I'll create a new post of "Product XYZ Review" and copy the content from the page on my main website of "Product XYZ Review."

Would this be effective for SEO or getting more traffic, or would this hurt me?

Thanks.

Nitzundscheisse, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  2. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this would create a "duplicate content" penalty.

catanich, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  3. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    If you want a blog to compliment your website, you should just install wordpress on a folder or subdomain of your site. ie: blog. yoursite. com, or yoursite. com/blog.

You already have your own hosting, you may as well take advantage of it. Using blogger blog after the fact is kind of unprofessional.
    The perceived SEO benefits of using a blogger blog are canceled out by the lack of control, ownership, and customization options that you are limited to , IMO.

You said that it was new...it will take time. Just write useful content, and make use of bookmarking and social sites to draw attention to yourself.

If your site is service oriented then join a forum in that niche, if it's entertainment then you should create a My Space and Twitter account, amongst others.

Just continue to create, and perform your basic SEO and if your content is good, you will see results.

hmansfield, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  4. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it would not be wise to copy the same content form your existing site. if you use a blogger blog, write unique content

sultanofseo, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  5. ricarde88

ricarde88 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the content duplication issue. Its really better to create new content.

ricarde88, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  6. SEOVancouver

SEOVancouver Peon

Best Answers:
    My understanding is that there is no penalty for duplicate content, but rather all duplicate content is filtered out.
    From the Google Webmaster Blog:
    I'm with hmansfield. Use Wordpress to put the blog on your own site, and build deep links to your content.

SEOVancouver, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  7. mrandrei

mrandrei Peon

Best Answers:
    The entries in your blog will be counted as duplicate contents. Better rewrite the articles before you publish them in the blog.

mrandrei, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  8. sambalewa

sambalewa Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, your counted as Duplicate Contents. you have edit your content.

sambalewa, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  9. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    there is no 'duplicate content penalty' - it just won't help you rank for anything significant. It's explained here.

If you want to 'repurpose' your content., make it unique first. That way it WILL help your rankings.

contentboss, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  10. mcars12

mcars12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, Google has become pretty intelligent nowadays and could detect which is the original and which is duplicate and there's no penalty on it.

http://www.stephanspencer.com/search-engines/matt-cutts-interview

You should make a business plan of your website. The target market, age range, etc.. and also include a SWOT analysis. With these plan, you could easily target which avenues you should concentrate. For example your target market is more on teenagers, go to social networking sites where teenagers usually hang out and promote there.

But the best strategy I guess the usual Link building procedures, using competitive keywords to attract people.. :)

mcars12, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  11. shubhangid

shubhangid Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats really a god question.I also have one querry,if i submit articles to different directories and same article is in my blog.will that be copyright?

shubhangid, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  12. manish.chauhan

manish.chauhan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are giving reference of your blog or website(in the form of signature) in the article while syndicating that into article directories, Google will automatically come to know that the syndicated content's actual version is lying over that website or blog mentioned in syndicated article..so no question of duplicate content issue...:)

manish.chauhan, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  13. shailendra

shailendra Peon

Best Answers:
    if the article is written by you then no problem. however, you should not submit the same article in more than 3-4 directories

shailendra, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  14. manish.chauhan

manish.chauhan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not more than 3-4 directories?? any specific reason??

manish.chauhan, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  15. tommseo

tommseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes , it can result in duplicate content issue.

tommseo, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  16. dickieknee

dickieknee Active Member

Best Answers:
    a tactic in blogging to update an article and not lose ranking and linking is to rename the original articles on your site then create a new article with the same title and publish.

if you are going to have your site and a blogspot then you will be hit by the duplicate content

rewrite article/ re-order the paragraphs

dickieknee, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  17. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    actually, if you read that article, you see that what Matt is saying is that they rely on pagerank to determine premiership. Which is why he suggests that you link back to the original version in the article itself 'that way you almost guarantee that your version will have higher pagerank'.

Which is, of course, debatable. For example, if Yahoo decided to syndicate your little article, and linked back to it from their PRZILLION homepage, do you REALLY think your little blog would outrank it?

contentboss, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  18. GoGlobal

GoGlobal Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah Unique content is Important in SEO work..

GoGlobal, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  19. jamesinngram

jamesinngram Peon

Best Answers:
    You can comment on someone blogs to get backlinks. Get lots of backlinks to increase visitors.

jamesinngram, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  20. seosheen

seosheen Peon

Best Answers:
    unique contents make its value ...u just have to wrote quality content for your site..do some natural SEO process like article , dir submission , do some social book marking and do let to know others people about your site quality.traffic will automatically increased. be patience.........

seosheen, Mar 2, 2009 IP