1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Simple tip to hit your keyword target for your website

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by mitz, Feb 27, 2009.

Hi guys
    This is a little thing I use that might help some newbie SEO guys to find their feet.

When I have completed a webpage and have had it published on the internet for at a few weeks.. If it is not going well I go to google and type in the keywords that I want that article to come up for. When it is not showing in the top ten I start to study the ones that are...

For example I wrote and article on How to find your automatic scanner and camera wizard but it wasn't going well. So I went to google and typed in "automatic scanner and camera wizard" and checked out the websites that came up.

What did I check for?
    • What information did this page have that mine didn't?
    • What is the source coding for the page?
    • What is the description for this page?
    • What is the title for the page?
    • How did they use the keywords throughout the article?

So after researching a few different pages and changing mine to be the best for this keyword, now I am number one.

Next thing is to shorten that keyword from "automatic scanner and camera wizard" to maybe "camera wizard" which is more common and easy for visitors to search for.

So back I go to google to type in "camera wizard" and then see the results and check out all this info again but with this keyword in mind...

Once you have done this a few times you will get the hang of it and know what keywords to use and where to use them to rank well...

The problem is I could never settle on a keyword and had no clue which one would be the best. But all the information is there for you...:)

I know this is not a proper SEO technique but it works for me...

mitz, Feb 27, 2009 IP
    Kerosene likes this.
  2. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good tips. Too many seo's think their onpage optimization is done once they get their content up on their website. They do not realize that you could keep tweaking that content to help improve your rankings. Unfortunately despite how optimized your content is, you can still get beat by someone who has better backlinks than you.

It sounds like you need help picking better keywords. Nobody really searches for 'automatic scanner and camera wizard'. Before even writing the content, you should know what keywords you are targeting. Those keywords should have sufficient search volume. I use Google's keyword tool to check approximate search volume.

vansterdam, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  3. scubita

scubita Peon

Best Answers:
    I do this all the time: if they rank high, i check everything :)

scubita, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  4. tigerwolf

tigerwolf Peon

Best Answers:
    You say this is a tip for SEO Newbies, but actually I think its a timely reminder to ALL of us ... newbies or crinklies ... that its not enough just to get to the top of the SE pile, you've got to keep tweeking (the keywords you really want to target or which are making you the most bang for your buck at least).
    Thanks Mitz ... although now I've got to go tweek about a hundred pages or so!!

tigerwolf, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  5. mitz

mitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can see the results for this page and what search term people use. I also have other pages that cover other keywords that are related to this subject and this is an example only. Thanks for the advice though. :)

mitz, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  6. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    If only you knew how funny that was.

-----
    Nice post mitz. Hope those sheep are under control :)

Kerosene, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  7. andaman

andaman Peon

Best Answers:
    try long tail or niche keyword

andaman, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  8. raviseo

raviseo Peon

Best Answers:
    wellll yup i fully agree with all my friends what i use to do is I track all top five results and review all the meta tags they have mentioned on there page and i also track the back links and try to get my links there :)

raviseo, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  9. bradchawla

bradchawla Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks For Sharing ur greatful and nice information...

bradchawla, Mar 4, 2009 IP
  10. nettech

nettech Peon

Best Answers:
    Mitz,

Do you do that manually or do you use some automation software? Thats a fantastic reminder to us that hard work and reearch actually pays off, its not easy doing this manually but clearly it works for the long term. I also do that (well not as much as I shoudl) and have seen some pretty impressive results.

Thanks
    Zaheer

nettech, Mar 5, 2009 IP