1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help with HostGator

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by alber859, Feb 26, 2009.

Alright, so here's the deal:

I bought 3 domains from GoDaddy yesterday:

thewiigenius.com
    the360genius.com
    theps3genius.com

After that, I signed up at HostGator with a Baby Croc account. When they asked me my main domain at the sign up, I gave them thewiigenius.com. Then, I changed the DNS on my 3 domains at GaDaddy and I added the360genius.com and theps3genius.com as addons domains in the HostGator's cPanel.

I have some question:

1- Is there a difference between what I can do with my main domain and my addon domain ??
    2- I can access to an addon domain with the360genius.com or the360genius.thewiigenius.com, but is there a difference ??
    3- Is it normal that www.theps3genius.com is a default Apache page, and theps3genius.com (without the www) is the test page I uploaded ? And, it is only for this domain, www.the360genius.com and the360genius.com both lead to the same page..

I'm new in web hosting so Thank You Very Much ;)

alber859, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  2. proson

proson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the addon domain technically is a sub domain of your main domain. e.g. if your main domain is thewiigenius.com, the addon domain called it 'A' is the360genius.com then Hostgator will map it from the360genius.thewiigenius.com.

However you can still access the360genius.com by typing the domain name in your browser. It is really NO
    difference in terms of visitor or search engine point of views. So your answer to question 2 in this case is 'NO'/ They don't have any differences.

3.) It is because you may forget a mapping in your Godaddy control panel. Normally if you registered a domain separately with your hosting, the most easy is to change the DNS server to in your case to hostgator.com
    That ways all the current domain mapping in host gator remains unchanged and you will have everything worked out fine.

If you did that, it may be due to the fact that the DNS server of your ISP isn't updated yet. It generally takes 0-3 days to have the effect globally. So you may just want to wait.

Hope I answer your question.

proson, Feb 26, 2009 IP
    alber859 likes this.