1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you use drupal

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by votevs, Feb 25, 2009.

I have installed it but i just cant understand how to make a very simple website with it. Ive searched everywhere but all they talk about is how to install themes, modules and drupal. How can i make a very simple website like where somebody register then add something to his profile.

votevs, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  2. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    bnandika, Feb 25, 2009 IP
    Halobitt likes this.
  3. hanzahar

hanzahar Banned

Best Answers:
    but drupal doesn't have many free themes...

hanzahar, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  4. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    basically, after you set it up, you create new pages by choosing "page" on the create content menu.
    You can customize what menus show in the Administer|site building|menus menu..

If you are stuck on a specific task, just post that specific question here..

Tearabite, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  5. Ira_150

Ira_150 Peon

Best Answers:
    After you figure it all out - write an easy to understand ebook for people like me to learn it :(

I know I know - many people have said "oh this is easy to learn". I repeat this - OK, explain it to me like I was 5 yrs old, THEN we are talking easy lol ;)

Ira_150, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  6. superjacent

superjacent Peon

Best Answers:
    I suppose this is a question more so for the Drupal forum. I'm sure if you ask and have a look around at the various 'how to' guides you'll be guided in the right direction.

What I recommend is don't bother with fancy themes to start with; stay with the default theme (garland). Concentrate on content, creating pages (there's different types of pages - customizable), blog and forum entries. Fiddle with the taxonomy (classification system) and blocks (headers/footers/left/right side etc.)

Writing an ebook for this stuff is not a bad idea.

superjacent, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  7. Khadaji

Khadaji Active Member

Best Answers:
    It took me about a month to be reasonably competent with Drupal.

By "reasonably competent", I mean I could make the website do what I wanted it to do - look how I wanted it to look... that sort of thing. I'm still learning - but the more powerful the CMS, the more time you're going to have to put into it in order to utilize it's power.

I always recommend Wordpress for newcomers... it's a faster learning experience, yet it can still be a very powerful CMS for most websites.

I went with Drupal because it's a tad better suited for community sites - and it has more flexibility for the long-term. But it's a personal choice - everyone will have their own opinion about what CMS they favor.

I discovered that most questions on Drupal have already been answered somewhere... so if you can be creative enough in using Google - you'll come up with the answer to almost any question you can think of.

Khadaji, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  8. 802networks

802networks Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm almost 9 months in and still learning every day. I'll tell you -- I completely removed Drupal and restarted my site about 3 times in the beginning. It's not easy to learn for sure -- but once you do -- It'll click! All of a sudden things will make sense and you'll be a master in no time.

Hint: Start by writing down the types of content you want and how you wish to organize it. THEN, read up on Taxonomy and Content types.

802networks, Mar 2, 2009 IP
  9. himtuna

himtuna Member

Best Answers:
    @802networks
    Thats exactly what I went through.
    And every time drupal seems to be so amazing. You want a feature drupal module repository may have it.
    Developers have built drupal for their own needs and not for any specific customer or a goal. So its robust and I love it.
    And it would be better you search google, watch some videos at drupal dojo, or there are various channels at blip.tv to get you started.
    Or dowload lynda.com tutorials.

himtuna, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  10. Jalpari

Jalpari Notable Member

Best Answers:
    play with drupal and u will become master one day. Search google for drupal tutorials its ur answer.

one good link which i know is link

Jalpari, Mar 3, 2009 IP