1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

On Becoming An ODP DMOZ Editor

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Going Green, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Could someone please write a DMOZ for Dummies that explains exactly in terms everyone can understand, exactly the correct generic wording needed to either suggest a site or to becoem an editor.

Exact wording that will keep us all from being Automatically Rejected.

Going Green, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  2. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I can do it for you in dummies words : DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS !

I hope this is help you .... :)

trustnobodynever, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are not automatically rejected ever. You are reviewed by a human being, if you are then rejected you are given a list of common reasons and among them is the clue to yours. As I have said somewhere else if we tell you everything you have done wrong, how will you cope with applying the guidelines in relation to sites?

If you have a rejection email, check out what is said with what you actually put on your application form, see if the sites really are good by having unique content, check if they are listed, ensure that they fit in with the category charter so this is the right category, look at the descriptions and titles in the category to which you have applied and be honest about any affiliations. I don't have anything to do with new applications, but the advice will stand you in good stead.

Anonymously, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  4. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    I cant keep my mouth closed when I`m saw this type of '' advices '' :) How about when the list with common reasons have nothing to do with the application ? OK ... let's make it clear .. not once - TWICE :) ....
    1. same type of emails send out ( AUTO ANSWERS )
    2. Same '' list with common reasons '' not even a pixel changed !
    3. both applications was made from different places ( by two different peoples ) using different descriptions and sites like examples .
    4. Almost same time frame of email delivery ( my personal application was rejected within 73 minutes , my friend one was rejected within 84-85 minutes or something like this I don't have access to hes email right now but I can ask the password to see exactly .. )
    5. Both applications was made on different days / different time of filling the forms / even the different browsers lol i`m using windows hes using linux ( and he have a fetish with opera browser lol ) , / both applications didn't had any '' feedback '' / both applications was made under same category :) ( we are living at 480 KM one of each other - we aren't using even same ISP )

I can continue the list with points with differences between the peoples and the similar things from the emails and application from editorial volunteer :)

trustnobodynever, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  5. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The most accurate thing in that post. ;)

I note you didnt mention anything about relative shoe sizes of the two people receiving the same answer, nor what kind of pets they have. What exactly is it you are trying to hide? ;)

Yes, it IS a form letter that covers all reasons apps are not accepted regardless of which applies... it is NOT intended as a training guide for writing an app. When considering candidates for a detail oriented role, anyone that needs an explanation how to fill in a question honestly or follow simple directions is probably not your first choice. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Mystery solved (except for WHY you applied in the first place given your opinion of their directory).

robjones, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Light blue touch paper and stand back and watch the rocket take off and sparkle all over the sky. Watch the blood pressure TNN, it is only a directory that you were rejected from and a directory that runs with volunteers as their hobby. Go look for another hobby, perhaps and take robjones' advice.

Anonymously, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  7. t2000q

t2000q Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    a lot depends on the category since different people do different ones, I doubt that there is an exact phrase that you need to use

t2000q, Feb 24, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  8. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not hiding nothing about anyone , NEVER ;) next time try and not edit my nickname it's far away considered an insult about the person who wrote ( or you try to answer ) and I don't wanna consider this now ... not there ...

This form letter is automatically send out ! it's like and autoanswer from emails nothing more and nothing less , there isn't NOTHING human ( like the ODP pretend to be ) , It's not covering nothing are just the '' official lie '' . Like I said before couple of times , was done like a test I wanted to see '' how its work '' I got the answer and the time from emails when they come on the inbox none of editors can '' change '' it in '' better way '' like they will delete probably the links spam which are on the directory , and other problems there out . SO ... what I wanted to NOT hide there is the WRONG things which I saw ... it's something different like the warnings which I got till now ( from we know who and why ) ...

I`m wearing 42 ( european size ) .. I don't know what size have my friend at hes shoes ... if you wanna know just drop me a note ( in your way ) and I`ll call him a.s.a.p ,.... I have a cat her name is Carla and is super cute cat ! My friend don't have ... he had some fish before but hes enough idiot to kill them lol

I don't need explanation how to fill the damn it form , I don't wanna be '' volunteer '' editor there since I have enough revenue by my ways it seems

trustnobodynever, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  9. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For the last time, no it bloody isn't.

As you've been told several times already, it's initiated by the human being who evaluated the application and decided to decline it.

Is that not clear? Can you not understand plain English?

jimnoble, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  10. Suziclue

Suziclue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm an Accepted Editor.. Want me to approve your site?

Suziclue, Feb 25, 2009 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  11. CCK

CCK Active Member

Best Answers:
    What is wrong with editors using a template to send rejections anyway. We use standard templates at work to reply to queries all the time.

Thank you for your enquiry, unfortunatley we are not able to assist you because.....

You surely do not expect a personalised reply in original text for every idiot that submits to the worng category or generally makes a mistake.

Anyway, do not stress out. We have many sites that are not listed in DMOZ and they are doing just fine :)

CCK, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  12. CCK

CCK Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just out of interest is your DP user name deliberatley a double negative? If not then your user name implies that you should always trust somebody.

CCK, Feb 25, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  13. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:

I`m look like an idiot ? honestly ? Do i`m looking like one who do not read the replies and what peoples are saying ? . Continue repeating same thing ( like on the RZ forums ) do you really think will fix the problems and how normal peoples ( YES LIKE ME ) see the directory and the staff who manage it ? I HAVE THE DAMN IT EMAILS ON MY INBOX sir , I`m looking at them and YOU can tell me this emails are Human's send ? not even on million of years damn it , maybe you aren't knowing the difference between the HUMAN done things and MACHINE works . I understand is easiest to use tools to make the work easy and faster , more productive and so on ... THIS do not means when ODP calling to be HUMAN edited and '' driven '' by humans , humans aren't acting like a machine ( for example the hundreds of answers with copy/paste )

@CCK it's just a typo my user name there , actually I`m using same user name on another forum and on ymsg id ( it's a very long story quite funny and I`m sure it's not right thread where you or anyone else will be interested to find what's with this user name ) .. Using templates to communicate with someone is not means you communicate with this person ( WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE A HUMAN ) sending out the template ! I`m using myself loads of shortcuts and loads of tools who made my life and the work easier so I don't think I`m the person who do not know how to do things on easy way , this not means I ever send out for example any email to any of the support questions from my business , or to emails which I got BLANK! ( YES USING THE TEMPLATE ONLY can be considered a blank email wihout nothing human just the damn it click which can be also made automatically :) )

14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Roll on floor laughing

Anonymously, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  15. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After very careful consideration, and being mindful of this forum's ToC, I'll refrain from answering that.

jimnoble, Feb 25, 2009 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  16. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    :D you made my day lol with this reply ... are you afraid to get warnings like I got before ? don't worry I don't have same '' power '' and '' influence '' like others have ! ( yeah your '' guardian angels '' giving warnings out / delete posts and so on - you must be proud to have such peoples around )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.