1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Moving from ASP.NET to CF

Discussion in 'Programming' started by ThePTC, Feb 20, 2009.

Hi,

I've got a PTC site written by me using MS ASP.NET and C#: http://theptc.biz

The problem is that I'm constantly having problems with my Windows servers. First, they are expensive (though it's not a real problem, I've got enough funds from the site). Second, I've tried several providers - they all have problems. Third, I hate Microsoft (oh who dare I!). Yes, everything they do is awful: IE Explorer (the worst browser of the world), MS Windows Server not supporting DNS and MS SQL, Windows Mobile and so on. The only thing that I like is ASP.NET.

I really like C# but I thought that I have to change my language. PHP/MySQL? Never! Java? No! Python/Ruby? I don't understand that languages... So... the only thing remaining is Adobe ColdFusion.

I downloaded CF 8 and tried it. I liked the speed (quicker than ASP.NET on localhost). I liked that it supports many platforms and databases. The only thing I didn't like is that "scripty" "taggy" language...

What do you advise me? Stay with .NET or move to CF?

Thanks

ThePTC, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  2. ThePTC

ThePTC Guest

Best Answers:
    Sorry, double post... I'm new here and don't know how to delete it.

ThePTC, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  3. Paul_K

Paul_K Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well as a Coldfusion programmer who also does some .NET I say Coldfusion. I like it more and the community support is great. I do alot of Flex and Coldfusion work and they work really well together. There are also 2 alternative CFML languages they are Open source aswell.

Paul_K, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  4. ThePTC

ThePTC Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply. You know, I began programming using C, and I hear that CF was made for those, who doesn't really know programming. I mean it's a simple script language but for me it'll be rather inconvenient.

ThePTC, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  5. Paul_K

Paul_K Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I find this interesting as Coldfusion is a truly powerful language and is actually compiled at run time. It can leverage java and .NET and will save you lots of time in comparison to .NET. As someone who also started in c and c++ I would much prefer to be using Coldfusion.

I would advice that if you are considering Coldfusion that you actually take some time and even go as far as build the program in both CF and ASP and see which saves you more time and uses less code.

Paul_K, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  6. rm100

rm100 Peon

Best Answers:
    I started with C and C++ too, but when I found ASP.NET it was even better. I now enjoy ASP.NET with C# or VB.NET, these are my languages of choice. I like to visualize what I'm doing, and you can build interesting web base applications in .NET
    Right now , myself, I'm not interested in PHP or MySQL

rm100, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  7. Paul_K

Paul_K Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well this is a ColdFusion thread? And we are not talking about or have even mentioned PHP.

Paul_K, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  8. rm100

rm100 Peon

Best Answers:
    ThePTC in his first post mentioned PHP/MySQL :cool:

rm100, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  9. Paul_K

Paul_K Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Paul_K, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  10. rm100

rm100 Peon

Best Answers:
    With CF you can build a website much faster, but .NET gives you more control and extensibility over the language. .NET is much more powerful, it's my platform of choice.

rm100, Mar 26, 2009 IP