1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal: About International payment methods?

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by t-chan, Feb 24, 2009.

Hi,
    I am selling things on the Japanese market in Jp language and now I'm considering using paypal. I already have my paypal account but it's Canadian (I live in Canada).

From What I know, they Paypal says you can accept local payment methods.

Does that mean when People in Japan buy stuff from my website using paypal they can use - for example- JCB card (3ed lardest credit card in Japan)?

I'm asking this because in Canadian Paypal site it does not say you can accept JCB but in Japanese paypal they do accept JCB and I'm wondering about it. When you sell internationally can customers pay by the paying methods which their (buyer's) regions Paypal accepts? Or Seller's resions methods override?

I don't wanna lose potential customers by not accepting JCB since it's very popular in Japan.

Any of you sell things outside of your country where they have different paying methods please share your experience.

Thanks!!

t-chan, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  2. MayurGondaliya

MayurGondaliya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can use your canadian paypal account to sell things in Japan. You can also set the payments received in JPY.

MayurGondaliya, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  3. Simple talk

Simple talk Peon

Best Answers:
    Your JCB credit card should be powered by Visa, MC, etc.

Simple talk, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  4. t-chan

t-chan Member

Best Answers:
    Hi
    I know I can sell things in Japan with my Canadian account and accept JPY. My question here is each country's payment methods.

I thought In Japan JCB is not powered by either VISA or Master Card. I have a JCB card too and it has nothing to do with VIsa or Master Card. Also sometimes I hear "Now accepting JCB too!" kind of ads in Japanese sites/stores. If JCB was powered by V or M it would not happen, I think...(please correct me if I'm wrong)

In the Canadian Paypal site it says "accept Visa, Master card, American express" for the credit cards and in the Japanese paypal saite it says "accept Visa, master card, and JCB".

There is no JCB logo with Canadian paypal's "buy now" button (only V and M and Amex too) and it is usually considerd JCB is not accepted in the Japanese connotations. BTW in Japan Amex is not that popular so not so many places accept them and Japanese paypal don't seem to accept Amex either.

Thanks.

t-chan, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  5. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    The credit card issue would only be relevant if they are paid by non-paypal members, however if the japanese customers sign up for a paypal account then they can fund their account anywhere that is supported and you will get the money.

It may not be a bad idea to contact paypal and ask them about it.

eddy2099, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  6. t-chan

t-chan Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is Paypal is not popular in Japan and most people don't have an account. Paypal even just started in 2007 in Japan or something like that. From what I hear from my Japanese business friends in Japan, customers don't usually sign up for Paypal when there is an option for that. Online shopping itself is just getting popular maybe 10 years behind of US/Canada.

Also since I live in Canada now I can't use most Japanese CC gateway companies(Usually Japanese residents only) so my choise is limited.

That's why I need a JCB option.

Yeah, I contacted paypal about it but they haven't gotten back to me....

t-chan, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  7. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Depending on what you are selling, perhaps you can consider signing up at Plimus.com , they supports the regular credit cards (Mastercard, VISA, Amex, Diners, Discovery, JCB and a host of others), Paypal, Direct Bank Transfers and check payments.

eddy2099, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  8. t-chan

t-chan Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks eddy2099. But most companies don't support Japanese language check-out page. That's another problem for me. I'll check out plimus.com. 2co supports Japanese language but no JCB when JPY is used. They also say they'll contact my customers to verify my sales by phone in English! They don't know or care that most Japanese people can't speak english at all...

t-chan, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  9. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Plimus does actually. They do Geotargetting. It will even show local currency equivalent of the country. If you are in Japan, it will show the Yen equivalent and the interface would be in Japanese. At least the essential part.

eddy2099, Feb 25, 2009 IP