1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Competitor's false claims

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by tbarr60, Feb 23, 2009.

We have a competitor that claims in TV commercials and in web advertising that they are the biggest in the business. It's not true in terms of for their retail location in terms of square footage, inventory, brands carried, and sales. Online we easily out rank them through various measures including surveys where we both submit data.

So, should we go on the attack directly and make reference to their company nickname with like something like "we are bigger than the monster" or just make the same claim as them or say something like "of all the companies that claim to biggest, we are the biggest"?

tbarr60, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  2. wrekoniz3

wrekoniz3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would go on the offensive, but make double sure you have reports and documentation to back up your claim. Provide screenshots if the occasion calls for it. Put simple, be prepared for a counter-attack and above all, always be a step ahead of your competitor.

wrekoniz3, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  3. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like good advise. I wonder if I should put together a stat page and list our numbers versus "the next biggest competitor".

One thing I like to do with advertising is staying a step ahead and not have them knowing what that step ahead is. In other words, I filter their geographic locations out of my ad campaigns. But my claims may get back to them by way of enthusiasts forums but that may take time.

tbarr60, Feb 23, 2009 IP
    lycos likes this.
  4. ragesw

ragesw Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you can also take a different approach. Claim to be "the first" or "the best" or "number one" in a certain category that would appeal to your customers.

ragesw, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  5. wrekoniz3

Best Answers:
    That wouldn't help very much, because everyone claims to be the best. :p

wrekoniz3, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  6. wokaka

wokaka Peon

Best Answers:
    Attack them with their company nickname....that'll do for sure.

wokaka, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  7. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    I would just provide the facts in a commercial and don't even go directly at them just sound more professional and as if you know you are the best instead of trying to prove it with a desperate sounding commercial.

primeelite, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  8. ss101

ss101 Member

Best Answers:
    You THINK they are not the biggest and biggest refers to sales. I own a few businesses and some of my local competitors call me "invisible" because we don't advertise in the Yellow Pages, the newspaper or on the radio or TV. We don't do that, but we target target the highest household income homes with direct mail, target stock brokers with high income clients, and several other things. To someone that does not get our marketing material, we might seem like small potatoes, but we ARE the biggest (sales wise) in our city. Don't knock them if you do not have ACTUAL proof that they are NOT the biggest. It will bite you in the ass, big-time. Unless you are pulling their tax returns, or have someone inside their company, you DO NOT know their sales.

ss101, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  9. rocker314

rocker314 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they are trying to get so much attention though. I've heard a lot of companies that say or claim they are the biggest or largest in the business. But when I check them on Scam Search they are there. :D

rocker314, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  10. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    How come the last couple dozen posts you have made on DP are all about Scam Search?

We get it, you like Scam Search, but what does it have to do with the thread?

browntwn, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  11. teo123

teo123 Banned

Best Answers:
    Just make sure you don't make false claims yourself about them.

teo123, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  12. wrekoniz3

Best Answers:
    Right... If you can prove thier claims are false, then you got them. However, if you make false claims yourself, then it not only takes away your advantage, but it also lowers yourself to thier level.

wrekoniz3, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  13. Valeriu Popescu

Valeriu Popescu Member

Best Answers:
    My thought: instead of starting a war on who's the bigger, why don't you try to identify the weakness of their product/service and hit them there?

Valeriu

Valeriu Popescu, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  14. Paydex

Paydex Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you for this. great insight and totally correct!

Paydex, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  15. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess if I were in your situation depending on the industry I would probably leave it alone as many times the type of advertising campaigns your competitor is running make their business sound cheap or corny.

primeelite, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  16. azlanhussain

azlanhussain Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try something different. Rather than focusing the best/the biggest/the number one etc, try change the marketing strategy. In this hard time, when everyone are effected by the economic situation, why not focus on what best have you done in helping customers in their hard time. Take 2-3 case studies and limelight those. People will surely appreciate more. This is part of what people see as your social contribution. The value created in return will be much meaningful.

Anyway I might not know your product and whether will it best suit for this idea but, when you touches someone else inner feelings, the result will surely long lasting.

Just my 2 cent.

azlanhussain, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  17. wrekoniz3

Best Answers:
    Now. there's a thought... :cool:

wrekoniz3, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  18. GeeOne

GeeOne Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am of the opinion that the general people/consumers are very sharp they can make out the false claims and people can realize while dealing with them.
    One should concentrate on maintaining the product, services, clean and reliable dealings, it pays.

GeeOne, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  19. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We use the same suppliers and they do let us know we are the biggest. We use the same e-commerce host and they confirm we are bigger. Our warehouse and inventory is much bigger. Their public numbers that they provided to a third party publisher that ranks retailers are smaller than ours. I don't think they can find any evidence to back up their claims

tbarr60, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  20. wrekoniz3

Best Answers:
    In that case, I guess you best follow the advice I posted above... I mean if you can prove your are bigger than they are, then you got them by the throat. :cool:

wrekoniz3, Feb 25, 2009 IP