1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Sanctions against Google confirmed - France -

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Arnie, Jul 3, 2006.

That may be the beginning of a trail of lawsuits against Google
    My oh my

The Paris Court of Appeals Confirms Sanctions against Google
    for Trademark Counterfeiting, Unfair Competition and Misleading Advertising
    PARIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 28, 2006 Louis Vuitton is very pleased with the ruling issued by the Paris Court of Appeals on June 28, 2006 confirming the previous sanctions against Google and its French subsidiary for trademark counterfeiting, unfair competition and advertising.
    Google's attempt to escape liability by invoking the safe harbor provisions of the EU E-Commerce Directive (transposed in France by the Confidence in the Digital Economy Act of 2004) has been denied. Google has been forbidden from using any of Louis Vuitton's trademarks in the scope of its advertising activity on all of its websites accessible from France.
    The Paris Court of Appeals has increased the damages allocated for trademark counterfeiting, unfair competition and advertising to 300,000 Euros.
    The Court has also confirmed the initial ruling requiring legal publication measures, which means Google's sentence must be published, at Google's expense, in four news magazines and on www.lejournaldunet.com. The Court has also granted Louis Vuitton 60,000 Euros in compensation for its legal expenses, in addition to the 15,000 Euros initially granted.
    Louis Vuitton is more determined than ever to pursue its relentless battle against counterfeiting, in particular on the Internet, in order to safeguard its intellectual property and the interests of its customers.
    CONTACT: U.S. Kekst and Company Victoria Weld or Molly Morse, 212-521-4800 or Paris - Louis Vuitton Nathalie Tollu, 011-331-55-80-34-42 Cell: 011-336-07-63-08-14 or Paris - DGM Olivier Labesse, 011-331-40-70-11-89 Cell: 011-336-16-26-33-58 or Sonia Fellman, 011-331-40-70-11-89 Cell: 011-336-60-88-53-24

Arnie, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  2. bugon

bugon Guest

Best Answers:
    C'est horrible.

from cnn.com:

This is ridiculous!

Well, the solution for google is not to show the search results every time someone searches a "trademark" of a company (like Louis Vuitton) which wishes that its TM will not be used by google. This would of course backfire on the companies since they will get less hits!

bugon, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  3. lonecrow

lonecrow Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its more directed at adSense ads that say things like "Get Louis Vuitton cheap at knockoffs4less.com" I havn't read the details of the suite but I remeber other legal crumblings along those lines.

lonecrow, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  4. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Stupid lawsuit, stupid company. If I owned google I'd remove the official Louis Vuitton website as some sort of penalty. Yes they may be losing money from counterfeiting but I think they would lose a lot more if they didnt have internet trade derived from Google. How on earth are Google supposed to monitor the thousands of possible combinations that advertisers can use to draw in visitors to such websites? Louis Vuitton are just money grabbing, hopefully Google will knock them down a peg through their search listings.

ForgottenCreature, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  5. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what the conversion rate is, but i think 300,000 Euros is about what Google spends in one week for free-coffee in the employee lounge

Tearabite, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We were discussing this on my rugby forum last week. (rugby season over, now we discuss anything until the first Saturday in September :D ) This is a rid=iculous law, and google will do well to simply add the phrase 'louis veton' to its list of banned search phrases. THEN we will see how quick manufacturers are to sue ;)

I appreciate that manufacturers and trademark holders must protect the brand, but HOW DIFFICULT is it going to be when they can not find these counterfieters on the internet? The trade mark lawyers are fast enough to use search engines to track down counterfieters, yet they are ALL TOO QUICK to sue when they do not like something the Se does.

Sorry cortporate world, but it is time to fish and cut bait, and I for one would add Louis Vuitton to a list of 'special phrases' I would then direct ALL searchers to a special page that said. 'we are sorry, but the trademark holder of the phrase you searched for has taken legal action against us for illegal use of their trademark. In order to protect ourselves from further litigation, we have had no option other than to block ALL search results containing their trademark'

Let's see how quick Louis Vuitton delivered a retraction of action :D

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  7. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, going by Google's past, since this is a non-American force being exerted on them, I'm sure they'll cave in as soon as possible. Google only cares to rebel/fight if it's the Big Bad U.S. Government telling them to do something; but if it's a foreign entity, they cave like little beeyatches. :rolleyes:

jackburton2006, Jul 3, 2006 IP