1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who can use copyright ?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by tommseo, Feb 13, 2009.

If i register a website , can i use Copyright @ 2009.
    Is there any legal formalities?

How can i save my content from being copying by other ?

tommseo, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  2. dc0ded

dc0ded Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think most of the websites don't have copyright to their content but still they mention that. And one can't do much to prevent content being copied on the web. It keeps on happening all the time. Please correct me if I m wrong.. and if there is actually a way to protect content from being copied by others.

dc0ded, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  3. tommseo

tommseo Peon

Best Answers:
    i have noticed many times sentence like:
    "Content on this website is copyright and can't be republished again without the prior consent of author"

Will it help content from being copying.

tommseo, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  4. peejaydee

peejaydee Peon

Best Answers:
    I would advise that you find out more about copyright. In general terms, yes, you can apply the (c) symbol to your work, provided it is your own original work.
    This link will tell you some basics about copyright but you'd be well advised to follow some of the links on the page to other sites to learn more.

As for being able to prevent your material being used elsewhere by others, it's almost impossible to stop it happening on the web due to the nature of the web and accessibility of information on pages.

peejaydee, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  5. Eleven11

Eleven11 Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't hurt to have the Copyright @ 2009 but it may not help much either.

Eleven11, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  6. Aragorn

Aragorn Peon

Best Answers:
    IANAL. You can use the copyright link, because if you created an original work, you have the copyright to that work. But that wouldn't do you any good, because unless you have a evidence to prove that you own the copyright, you don't have much chances of winning a lawsuit. So, if you really plan to enforce copyright restrictions, then you should register it.

For your question, the answer is "Yes, You can use the copyright text".

Btw, I think the general format for copyright text is
    @2009 You_site_or_company_name

Aragorn, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  7. pokerpenguin

pokerpenguin Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that it is almost pointless to put the copyright text because I believe that it is automatically copy-written as soon as it is published, kinda like a song or book.

pokerpenguin, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  8. WritingConsultation

WritingConsultation Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. Register at myfreecopyright.com and get a code for every posts you make. The code is identification that you own that post. You will receive emails about the code every time you have new posts.

2. Put up a banner from CopyScape or check with Creative Common Licenses.

WritingConsultation, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  9. peejaydee

peejaydee Peon

Best Answers:
    This is good advice if you're in the USA. Many countries have no formal registration scheme, like the UK. Most agencies performing registration in the UK are commercial organisations you pay to keep a record on your behalf but it's not a centralised registration in the same way that it is in the USA.

Since this forum is frequented by people from all over the world, the best advice is that everyone should ensure they have checked the legislation and definitions for their own country to understand what applies for their work.

peejaydee, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  10. FalcrumVex

FalcrumVex Peon

Best Answers:
    You can do what the above post was referring to, but things like that only work after the copyright has occured and you are aware of the action.

If you want to be on the frontlines about this there are codes and coding techniques that will make it harder for people to copy what they see on you website. Giving that it isnt text but some kind of image. Like not being able to right-click or screenshot a page or copy source-code. However, things like these can be an irritation to a regular user so be cautious.

FalcrumVex, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  11. kolgames

kolgames Active Member

Best Answers:
    anything you make is copyright... no matter what... don;t need registration (unless you want proof of creation date)
    -http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork

direct quote from the government...

kolgames, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  12. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many ways to know if your content is being copied. I can't remember where, but there is a link in one of the posts here, they will monitor your content to see if it appears somewhere else. Best thing to do is register your work if your worried about it getting used without your permission and plan on persuing legal action. However, it is not very cost effective to do that unless you loose over 100k dollars just becuase of all the legal fees involved. But with registering you are entitled to more damages as well as other things.

No you don't have to be registered anywhere for copyright law to be in effect, and you don't have to provide notice, unless the work was created before 1976.

hostlonestar, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  13. internetheaven

internetheaven Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A simple way is to take a snapshot of the page you're copyrighting, snail mail it to yourself with the seals closed and a third party signiture across the seal. Then, when it comes to your office file it. The sealed envelope and postage time stamp can be used to verify copyright. There are a lot of cheaper ways to do it than paying £100 a page for some company who'll do the same thing.

internetheaven, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  14. miss.L

miss.L Peon

Best Answers:
    If you know that someone has taken your work and posted it somewhere as their own what can then realistically be done about it?

miss.L, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  15. Aragorn

Aragorn Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have proof that the work is yours, ask the offender to remove the content politely. If they do not comply, make a DCMA complaint to their webhost. If they still don't comply, make a similar request to Google and they will de index the site from their listing.

Aragorn, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  16. hostlonestar

hostlonestar Peon

Best Answers:
    If the site is not hosted in a country that enforces copyright laws and that site copies your content, there is not much you can do. Aragorn is right, DMCA complaint to the host/DataCenter, and DMCA to google, and everything will be peachy. But, the DMCA to the host only works if they are hosted in a country that actually has or enforces copyright law.

hostlonestar, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  17. Christopher Thompson

Christopher Thompson Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, the line between 'unique' content and 'plagerized' content is becoming very slim. In my field I come across tons of websites that I can tell stole my content. But for me to chase after them is pointless. It would take to much of my time and resources. I say what they do will come back to bite them in the butt.

Christopher Thompson, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  18. portals

portals Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes i have added Copyright @ 2009 but it wont stop people from copy just makes site loo better.

portals, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  19. peejaydee

peejaydee Peon

Best Answers:
    "Copyright @ 2009" is not the accepted standard. You should put:

(c) Your Name, 2009

...where (c) is the copyright symbol (the letter 'c' in a circle).

peejaydee, Feb 26, 2009 IP