1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need a host for my forum ASAP

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by jeffbeer09, Feb 18, 2009.

Hi all,

I have been trying to start up my forum, I have everything but hosting now.
    -DN: writershall.com
    -MyBB (eventually will get onto vB)

...I have tried to find ideas on best possible hosting plan, but the more I researched, the more I'm contemplating :(

SO, if you can, leave a SIMPLE, short reply as to the Host's name/site/and what plan is best for a forum.

Again, sorry for this, I know these thread are overdone, but I really need straight answers.

Thanks!
    Jeff

jeffbeer09, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since your just starting out, I recommend a shared plan at Hostgator - http://www.hostgator.com/ I would go ahead and get the business plan for $12.95 a month.

After you outgrow that package at hostgator, move over to virtual private server at futurehosting - http://www.futurehosting.com/

Hostgator does not have a VPS. So you would have to go from a $13 shared package to a $100+ dedicated server. Getting a VPS allows you to grow and not take a hit in the pocket book.

~kev~, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  3. Guthix121

Guthix121 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest TMZHosting.com - They have a $4/month unlimited plan and have great support. I use them and their server has amazing uptime.

Guthix121, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  4. muncle

muncle Guest

Best Answers:
    I could host your forum on my dedicated server - you'd get the performance and reliability of the dedicated server with lots of potential to grow (would support your forum even if it grew to 50 000 uniques a day within weeks), but you're only intending to put it together. I'd kindly ask for at least a link back, but forums can be a bitch to get going. It could get you frustrated and you'd abandon the project if you put work to it and no growth overtime.

muncle, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  5. Buymesome

Buymesome Peon

Best Answers:
    Check us out: http://www.tmzhosting.com

Also search this forum to see how many positive reviews we have. I am also on live chat right now if you want we can work out a deal.

Buymesome, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  6. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone!

@kev: I remember or PM conversation about HG, so thanks for the reminder :)
    @guthix & buymesome: I'm looking into tmz right now.
    @muncle: sent you a PM :)

jeffbeer09, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  7. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you going for shared hosting hostgator baby plan is more than enough to handle a new phpBB forum. I run a small phpBB forum (haven't promoted it yet) on a lunarpages shared plan with 10 other sites on it with no problems. When you have truly active forum you'll need to move it to a more expensive VPS or dedicated solution.

micksss, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  8. MarbleHost.com

MarbleHost.com Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    There are many good hosts for forums. First, you should to create a short list of hosting companies which offer at least a few GB's of disk space and data transfer. Also make sure that PHP and MySQL is supported. Not sure about your forum script requirements but keep in mind that some scripts require PHP 5 while another can be run only with PHP 4. So the host should support both versions.

You can search through web hosting directories which offer advanced search by these options. When you prepare the list of a few companies offering everything mentioned above just google for something "company name review", "company name experience" or "company name suck". This way you can select the most reputable company from your list.

MarbleHost.com, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  9. starangel

starangel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    starangel, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  10. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey everyone, I'm going with TMZHosting... I'll be sure to give a review on it in a couple days (or maybe just wait till next month).
    Thanks again for everyones suggestions :)

jeffbeer09, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  11. leelaprasad

leelaprasad Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think dreamhost is good for a start-up forum as they have 97 days money back policy and also they are one of the cheap hosting service providers.

leelaprasad, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  12. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey nash, thanks for your suggestion! However, I already have WritersHall hosted via TMZHosting :)

...I'm going to do a separate post, giving my review on TMZHosting after the first month's of hosting has concluded. However, I must say that My writing forum, http://writershall.com/forums is incredibly smooth, and the live support is by far the most friendly and helpful assistants I have worked with in a LOOONG time :)

Overall, very pelased! :D (9.8/10)

jeffbeer09, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  13. gsv13

gsv13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't go with tmzhosting. I have not so good experience with them. Are heavy oversellers. So avoid them Imho.

gsv13, Feb 22, 2009 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  14. Buymesome

Buymesome Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you please give me your domain that you have/had with us so I can see if you were actually our client? Whats the problem you were having? A ticket number?

Buymesome, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  15. Buymesome

Buymesome Peon

Best Answers:
    If you cant give me a domain or any ticket details than this review would be considered false.

Buymesome, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  16. gsv13

gsv13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    message sent! Nothing against you ppl!

gsv13, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  17. buldozerceto

buldozerceto Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will recommend you hostgator.com. Use coupon code "freemonth" to get the first month for $0.01 or heart for 20% off.

buldozerceto, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  18. jeffbeer09

jeffbeer09 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks! alot of people suggest HostGator, and I hear good things from them. However, maybe I'll try them out with a site-project I got my eye on for this summer :)

As for right now, TMZHosting has yet to give me any problem... and while everything is still new I will just have to wait and see if it can continue this way :D

jeffbeer09, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  19. Buymesome

Buymesome Peon

Best Answers:
    Resolved :). This was when we transferred servers and some sites started receiving DB errors which was very easy to fix if you contacted support :).

It will :). It will actually get better.

Buymesome, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  20. mike810

mike810 Peon

Best Answers:
    I own a reseller hosting account that i use for my web design business. I can hook you up with your own hosting account with 5000mb bandwidth for 5 usd a month.

mike810, Feb 23, 2009 IP