1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO forever??

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mgrohan, Jul 2, 2006.

I have around 10 sites i am running all for around 8 months now. I have promoted these sites by seeking out relevant banklinks, by doing directory submissions and keeping content fresh and up-to-date, etc, etc.

However i find the SEO work to be mind numbingly boring. While i have achieved moderate success in SERPS i have still not gotten anywhere near the rankings i would like to have.

I know many peopleon this board have been in SEO for years, and i was just wondering, does it ever stop? I mean does SEO ever become unnecessary and it will just run in autopilot. Are you still submitting to directories and loking for backlinks years after your site has gone online?

Is the first year the hardest? Guess i'm just looking for some motivation

mgrohan, Jul 2, 2006 IP
  2. datarecall

datarecall Peon

Best Answers:
    it does get easier the trick is your content... I know you have probbly heard this a lot but it is true. Content is king, therefore if you have good content people will link to your site on their own and you not have to pester or send out an email. Once you reach top 10 it is harder for people to kick you out unless they are gunning for you. Also domain age plays a small role in being effective in "google's" patent anyways.

Dunno if this makes sense im exhausted and I figured I would let you know its not all an uphill battle.

:cool:

datarecall, Jul 2, 2006 IP
    buronggoy likes this.
  3. Bondat

Bondat Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been on my first year also as an SEO.But few success only.I mean only few of my goal has been achieved that's why I never get bored on learning some SEO techniques.Do something that will be challenging you.

Bondat, Jul 2, 2006 IP
  4. jacksmith

jacksmith Peon

Best Answers:
    i believe seo is all about style (onpage seo atleast). So if you get the hang of it then you won't even notice that it. Ofcouse offpage seo takes time and effort. But consider it part of developing ur site.

jacksmith, Jul 2, 2006 IP
    buronggoy likes this.
  5. Bondat

Bondat Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me add to that passion must be there also.

Bondat, Jul 2, 2006 IP
  6. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    SEO is a never ending process, you should always be improving your site as your competitors will be doing the same.

The process does get easier as time goes on though. People will come to you for links and it'll be easier to find parters with a higher PR. As you generate more revenue you can also afford to outsource some of the work.

MattUK, Jul 3, 2006 IP
    buronggoy likes this.
  7. Bondat

Bondat Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep,I totally believe on this one.SEO is a never ending process.So the passion and dedication must be there always.

Bondat, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  8. kulgan

kulgan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi All,

I'm new to the forum although been browsing for a while and this thread has caught my eye as it's a topic I've been considering lately.

Before you jump down my throat OK the headline is a 'bit' tongue-in-cheek....

I've been promoting a number of sites over the last few years and managed a moderate amount of 'success' with my ranking strategy i.e. content refresh, backlinks, etc, etc. However, it seems that no matter what you do your page ranking will always be at the mercy of the latest algorithm of the engines. To my surprise I've found my sites being overtaken by poorer content sites in the same niche...

I've just completed reading a very interesting resport detailing some of the SE predictions in the near future and it makes some very interesting points. However, one of the key findings seems to be that Google etc, will increasingly provide higher rankings to customers of their PPC services. You can understand this, Google is a business... However, this begs the question;

"Why bother with SEO if you can simply 'buy' high ranking?"

Similarly, more and more of well respected internet marketers appear to be turning their back on SEO as they're finding greater and greater success through viral marketing techniques. One such marketer Harvey Segal has now openly commented that he has abandoned all attempts at SEO.

It seems he is not alone as many other sites are claiming 50%+ traffic being generated through these methods. My question, I guess, is this;

If an increasing amount of effort (and expense) will be required to maintain (not improve) current ranking position. Should the focus now not be on the 'word of mouth', viral aspects of site promotion.?

I would welcome your comments?

Bill

kulgan, Jul 3, 2006 IP
    buronggoy likes this.
  9. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To me SEO is part of a larger strategy. Marketing a website takes on several disiplines and all must be employed to run a successful business site. SEO is too good a source of traffic to ignore on it's own and too risky to solely rely on.

MattUK, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  10. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think seo is very important i don't agree with the afirmation "do we need seo anymore" and olso something that i like in some cases you just need to spend your time to get in the top not your money .... soo it's the best cost eficient solution

w3bmaster, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  11. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I agree good content builds great links

sundaybrew, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  12. BIGC

BIGC Peon

Best Answers:
    why wil it stop ..as long as SE is available SEO wil also be available

BIGC, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  13. mavahntooth

mavahntooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no one or nothing is forever. :) SE will gonna change their algo again and again to provide a more challeging Search Engine Optimization. As long as you can optimize your site to SEs, you can try your best to get to the top.

mavahntooth, Jul 3, 2006 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  14. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe SEO will be somewhat less important in the future as SE's develop better methods to coax surfers into clicking the paid (rather than organic) listings.

simey, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  15. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    SEO will live as long as my bum points to the ground.

Cheap SEO Services, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  16. Bondat

Bondat Peon

Best Answers:
    Google wont let people want to manipulate the SERP.
    So as long as there is a Reputable Search Engine like Google SEO will be there as well.

Bondat, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  17. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That won't happen, the quality of the SERPS will always be of importance to the users. Paid results will severely compromise the quality and people will simply stop using and go elsewhere.

MattUK, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  18. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google has already started a quality score factor to increase the relevance of adwords.

But I agree the 'natural' serps will always be important. I just think the importance will slip a bit.

Remember when adwords ads were only on the right, and not on top?
    I'm in the US. If I search on 'city' real estate, google-base is always 1st in the ("""natural serps""")

Plus the new generation of web users never experienced the nearly ad free internet that old-timers like me did. (I still rarely click on ads)

simey, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  19. MrBounce

MrBounce Active Member

Best Answers:
    MattUK nailed it. The majority people on this forum see search engines as a form of income, whereas users see them as a form of information. any search engine that forgets this will quickly lose users and then market share.

its always going to be about providing information to the consumer.

MrBounce, Jul 4, 2006 IP