1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am an Experienced Cartoonist, Need some Help!

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by seobiz.in, Feb 19, 2009.

Hello everyone, i was wondering what would be the process of creating mascots or cartoons on illustrator?

I am a cartoonist and have received great laurels right from my childhood, few of my designs were also published in journals, i sketch on paper and don't have any idea about working on Adobe Illustrator or any designing software.

I was in fact thinking of rendering my services here, so how does the designing of a mascot, logo or cartoon goes in an illustrator?

What if i provide you a scanned copy of a cartoon, sketch, will it be any useful?

Your ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you all

seobiz.in, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  2. l3fty

l3fty Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you can scan your design and then vectorize it in illustrator/photoshop, or draw directly on the computer using a pen tablet like the wacom bamboo.

here are a few tutorials to start with, but there's a ton of them out in google land.

http://www.sosfactory.com/tutorials.html

l3fty, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  3. onedee

onedee Peon

Best Answers:
    1 Scan
    2 Cleaning the scanned sketch in Photoshop
    3 Import into Illustrator for the line work - using the pen tool to get that extra clean crisp line
    4 You can layout the flat 2D color here or take it into photoshop where you have more control over the colors, etc

onedee, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  4. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    bnandika, Feb 20, 2009 IP
    l3fty likes this.
  5. pycowebz

pycowebz Peon

Best Answers:
    wacom bamboo is the great idea

pycowebz, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  6. GekiDan

GekiDan Active Member

Best Answers:
    try using a graphics tablet and draw your works on any vector software available.
    I'm also a cartoonist but I haven't yet have a chance to make cartoons on my computer.

GekiDan, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  7. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    If you're an illustrator then definitely check out tablets. An illustrator friend of mine has a huge Wacom tablet, and when he's on fire, it's like watching magic happen. I can't draw to save myself, but I use a tablet for photo editing, and I love it.

Kerosene, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  8. monstermo

monstermo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you're used to traditional paper mediums then using a tablet to draw might take a while to get used to. The more recent version of Illustrator have an excellent 'Live Trace' function, which traces a scanned in image and converts it to a vector image.

You can control the number of colors and the level of detailing in the conversion. I've used it to convert whole animations into a Vector format from bitmaps, but in your case you could use it to get line work into your computer for coloring, or whole characters in to add backgrounds.

monstermo, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  9. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Get a Wacom Intuos and go ahed.

rsrikanth05, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  10. Talker

Talker Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes... you can buy a Genuis Tablet. which is cheaper and works very effectively.
    Add me to yahoo and we can discuss more about how you can earn with your talent.

Talker, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  11. bnbdesign

bnbdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll go with the 'Live Trace' options found in Adobe Illustrator CS2 or greater versions. While you love to draw, sometimes you will be bored to draw something using hand, and have to redo it later with tablet.

You could also do 'Extract Images' on Adobe Photoshop. This will be useful if you had your drawings already coloured using a manual technique that can't be emulated using computers, but also done quickly, like coloring with COPIC pen.

bnbdesign, Feb 25, 2009 IP