1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bots & Forum Spams vBulletin

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by supernoobice, Feb 19, 2009.

How do I minimize or completely avoid bots to spam my forum? It's getting hard to manage them. Any ideas? I'm using vbulletin.

supernoobice, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  2. touchAshley

touchAshley Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know what you mean. As soon as I moved to vbulletin, spammers began attacking immediately. A really cool mod to stop bots is this one:
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=135094

It blocked about 5 bot registrations within 2 hours of installing it :) And it's still blocking them everyday!

touchAshley, Feb 20, 2009 IP
    munnakv likes this.
  3. munnakv

munnakv Active Member

Best Answers:
    @touchashley,
    Thanks. I never knew about this one. I implemented now. Looks like a fantastic idea. + rep.
    Now i will remove my recapcha and Nospam mods for some time to see if I can live without them.

@supernoobice, you can try recapcha and NoSpam mods also. They did well so far until I saw this post.

munnakv, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  4. tercede

tercede Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With the captcha, try changing the font styles to a custom one.

tercede, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  5. ForumPharmacy.co.uk

ForumPharmacy.co.uk Banned

Best Answers:
    Just use re-captcha

ForumPharmacy.co.uk, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  6. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Go into your vbulletin control panel - left column - human verification options - and setup recaptcha.

Then go into - vbulletin option - user registration options - and set it to recaptcha instead of captcha. The new spam bots seem to have broken the classic captcha phrases. A forum that uses captcha is almost wide open. My sons forum was getting around 5 - 8 spammers a day with regular captcha. Once I switched to ReCaptcha, the spam stopped. And the same thing happened on my wifes forum.

If you do not want to use recaptcha, use image verification, that is also built into VB.

~kev~, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  7. mmurtha

mmurtha Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey supernoobice and everybody ...

I've installed the vBStopForumSpam Mod and it does wonders! Here's the URL:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=176481&highlight=vbstopforumspam

This Mod keeps them frm registering. I know it caught over 800 spammers and bots so far in less tha 2 months. All I did for the registration setup was to put this mod on "ON", and setup the re-captcha and haven't woken up to one spammer since.

I just can't say enough good things about this mod, so if you want to stop spam cold whether they are bots or doing it manually, this is by far he best - bar none. ;)

Mary

mmurtha, Feb 20, 2009 IP