1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ does not help rankings

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by locux, Jan 30, 2009.

1. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Boilerplate alert:

You might have misunderstood our objectives and how we operate here. ODP is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do. ODP is not primarily a free listing service for website owners and it does not attempt to process their listing suggestions within the time scales desired by them.

Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

jimnoble, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  2. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    WRONG again , keywords are used on the title from listings ! If you are reading post which I done before on other thread you can see full story which I`m saying there :) I just didn't wanted to comment anymore about ODP but its seems its following me everywhere even on things which do not have any connection with online advertising !

Later edit : just to add few more words , funny thing its the earlier post ( with the company email from another thread ) ... is from same nice which you guys discuss there ( about cars ) .... the named site which I found to be listed on 3 different categories - the spam one - is using a keyword for title ! and its just a php script who's scrapping content from another site just like junction4seo one . Nothing original not even an intro or welcome page there , advertising spots and loads of cars taken from another site from same niche even the pictures are watermark ! .

trustnobodynever, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  3. recipe for...

recipe for... Peon

Best Answers:
    :p

trustnobodynever - You will get very little effect from a DMOZ listing in your SERPs unless:

1. The "Title" anchor is for the keyword you are targeting.
    2. Or for a lesser effect - The keyword or phrase is in the description for your listing.

If the the keyword is nowhere to be found in your title or description then obviously it has no effect on SERP. I'm talking G**gle only here. That kind of link is equal to any other link.

If the keyword is in your description you will rank in the top 500 SERP for it. If it is in your title, along with other words you should make top 10 to 30. If it is your title with nothing else in the title you should make top 5.

Every anchor of every link on the ODP is a keyword. Nearly every word in a description is a keyword. If it's not a stopword its a keyword.

recipe for..., Feb 19, 2009 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Thank you for the laugh, I needed it. :D

I corrected for you:

ODP is a semi-volunteer organization building a directory to maximize profit for the majority of senior editors. ;)

Unless you purchase the links through scriptlance, which editors supply the listings in less than 10 days. ;)

gworld, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  5. ForumPharmacy.co.uk

ForumPharmacy.co.uk Banned

Best Answers:
    Just submitted a URL, so let's see what happens. I know it won't increase rankings but it's good for back linking.

ForumPharmacy.co.uk, Feb 19, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  6. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    At the reply where you refer there the keyword used on the example provided for Jim is a keyword targeted , actually the domain which about i`m refer there have the keyword on the name , and mentioned on each of the descriptions , the script used on the domain is using some dirty tricks to fill same keyword couple more times on meta's ( descriptions and so on ) , even is excessively used on the site wide ...

trustnobodynever, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would dearly love to understand your posts trustnobodynever, but I am afraid I just don't.

Anonymously, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  8. locux

locux Peon

Best Answers:
    @gworld - that's a significant allegation, which I an very curious if it has some factual evidence behind it. Can you elaborate? My curiosity is peaked and waiting for juicy bits of factual information.

locux, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  9. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    Agree, just not sure the *effort* required to get into it is worth the reward...

And have to say, as a directory, it's chocca with dead sites...

contentboss, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  10. recipe for...

recipe for... Peon

Best Answers:
    I am talking about the description that appears after your link on DMOZ.

Your meta descriptions don't have too much weight in the G**gle SERP. Maybe with other search engines. Keywords in the domain name and page name (/keyword.php) do.

recipe for..., Feb 20, 2009 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Here are just some facts, have fun. ;)

Facts about DMOZ

gworld, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL

About as outdated as the actual DMOZ documentation ;)

Qryztufre, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. it seems it is not possible to save the link for search result. I just wanted to make a link to all threads that started by me. Here is an image of that page instead. :D

Attached Files:

gworld, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  14. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your modesty is uncharacteristic

Anonymously, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Facts?

Nope....thats merely countless threads that are generated on hearsay, inuendo and repetitive, unfounded claims.

Facts are when you state "he did this", this is the proof.........As normal. lots of claims, lots of allegations, but very little truth and invariably no proof.

Until then its just umproven speculation and normaly, mischevious rumours and stirring.

snooks, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  16. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What's your point?

My website isn't a tool for Google to make revenue from as part of it's index and yet it does.

What DMOZ was meant to do and what it actually does effect don't have to be the same thing. Are you one of those overzealous editors screaming at the top of your lungs at webmasters that desire better results?

DMOZ was designed to be an index. Yet it doesn't do index a great deal of the internets sites. Certainly if it was a tool for a directory it would change all it's links to nofollow and end the entire webmaster seo thing. But it doesn't do that. DMOZ and the editors LIKE the abuse of power it gets to dish out on a daily basis. With webmaster complaining and begging for a listing it makes editors feel big, but they are really bullies of the internet.

DMOZ you suck.

RectangleMan, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  17. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love how people make such blatantly worng comments. Thats like saying all Black people are robbers, or all chinese are murderers, or all english are conmen. There are good and bad people in all cultures. There are good and bad editors.

I for one, would never bully a person either in real life, or via the net......and as for abuse of powers, if you really feel this has happened, it should be reported here

Obviously i find your statement offensive, especially since you dont even know me:mad:

snooks, Feb 20, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  18. Reviewz

Reviewz Peon

Best Answers:
    Google recently dropped a lot of sites that were ranking high due to being in Yahoo Directory/Dmoz...etc. I saw this happen to a few of my competitors sites. Google said so themselves, and I believe directories have lost a lot of weight.

Reviewz, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  19. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Which one is unproven speculation or rumors? :rolleyes:
    I have given proof on every thread that I have posted. The only proved speculations are your posts that are motivated by your desire to kiss a*s in order to get higher editing privileges. ;)

gworld, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  20. speedy81

speedy81 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe DMOZ improves the google rankings, also Its very hard to publish a link there so far I submitted about 20 web sites but they accepted only one.

speedy81, Feb 20, 2009 IP