1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

No security at Dmoz after getting listed

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ASPMachine, Feb 18, 2009.

We know that Dmoz doesn't allow submitting same site more than once. If your site already included or applied and you submit your site again and again..... you definitely get ban from Dmoz directory.

Ok.....I found most of directories show error message when submitting a site if the site is already included at that directory. But Dmoz doesn't show any message like that I've told. So this is really become at headache for webmasters. By mistakenly, we or someone may submit our same website more than once....which will carry the site to get ban (as ODP editor says here).

As I named the title "No security at Dmoz after getting listed", it's really a serious matter for web owners. If someone wants, he/she can ban any website from Dmoz by submitting the website again and again instead of he/she may not the actual site owner......But no restrict or no any other facilities have on Dmoz to very the submission whether the submitted site is actually posted by the site owner or not. Editors may think that the site owner has submitted the site and so they may ban it. Whether anyone here agrees or not...... but I say that Dmoz is a less facilities ODP where no options for Editors to sent message to a site owner if the site gets reject or accept. No such automate program for verifying whether the resubmitted site is actually submitted by site owner or just submitted by someone to do ban from Domz. So Dmoz has less features than a free PhpLD directory :)

Since Dmoz is allowing any email id.......so even they sent a verification email to submitter (spammer) who want to ban other site by posting again and again.....can be easily verify that submission. If Dmoz really wants to help webmasters also, they must need to think about it.....at least verification related. All the websites on Dmoz.....are not safe. Anyone can do submit again the same site and result will be BAN. The only way to save those sites which are already listed or which are on pending list......Dmoz should only allow POP same domain email ID..... for example- admin@YourSubmittedWebsite.com and should be sent a verification email to site owner to verify the submission.

Unless...........no sites are secure :)

ASPMachine, Feb 18, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So many misconceptions....

We encourage anybody to suggest websites, not just website owners. If you see a site that you think is good, please suggest it; that's what editors do all the time :).

Because of that, we aren't over worried by a few extra listing suggestions of a website. The instant automatic ban is a myth.

Don't ask me to discuss the details of our security measures but we do recognise spamming when we see it - and we deal with it just as anybody else would :D.

jimnoble, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  3. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to add to jimnoble's fine explanation ...
    This is absolutely not true. There is certainly no point to suggesting a site which is already listed, but doing so does not mean that the listed site is removed or banned.

On a related topic, people often ask "how many suggestions is called spamming", but that's a loaded question, because if we say (for example) "more than 50", some people will submit 49, which is such a waste of their time and that of volunteer editors.
    The same answer applies now as it has done for many many years, in hundreds of threads all over the internet: we welcome site suggestions from everyone, whether or not they own the site, but multiple suggestions are unnecessary and unhelpful for everyone.
    Many sites are listed without having been suggested at all, so suggesting a site over and over has nothing at all to do with whether or not it gets listed.

makrhod, Feb 18, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  4. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    some sites have 3-4 links on directory on different folders another even more , so that's a not big deal , even it's seems to be normal to be like that , about the spam like Jim said ... HARD to believe someone at least one person from there care about it , after all links which I fond in the past yesterday before to go to bed I got one email ( on company email address with one offers for advertising - the company named do not have nothing to do online , we bought the domain name and didn't put any site up just a picture with '' under construction '' , actually we got the domain only for emails lol ... they are looking nice on business cards ... ) So I was looking at the email from where come this advertising email ... and because like always when I`m visit ODP was bored I just copy the domain and hit the magic button searching on ODP .. what do you think I saw ? 3 listings ! YES under 3 different categories ! This site named there is pure SPAM , nothing original , actually is used only for advertising , using listings and data from another site from same '' niche '' . Just an php script who's calling info from another site and few extra advertising banners . HARD to believe the editor who added this site didn't know is pure spam since even the pictures have watermark from original one !!!!

trustnobodynever, Feb 18, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  5. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you considered that the site may have changed since it was listed?
    In any case, volunteers always welcome help from the public in quality control measures, and you already know where to post such information, so I don't know that there's any need to keep mentioning your discoveries here. ;)

And as we have explained already, it is perfectly normal and acceptable for some sites to be listed more than once. But that is something which editors decide, based on the guidelines.
    It does not change the fact that we ask people to suggest a site only once.

makrhod, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  6. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes actually I checked one time more to be sure I didn't was sleepy and maybe I made a mistake ... the site named there same like before with other's links which I said ... the domain is registered since 2007 , no drop on there , on web.achive.org same things since start , google cache same things show's since long long time . Thanks for remind me about the RZ thread but I`m not coming there to report them , peoples said before there are '' tools '' who scan always the directory :) ( in case if change are made ) , I`m sure this particular link are extremely valuable for the directory and for the users who browse the directory since one of the editors listed it already not once , not twice .. 3 times so ... the reply was done just like a simple reply under this forum nothing more and nothing less ! actually didn't wanted to report nothing , and I don't think my help is too valuable since the editor application was canceled on 73 minutes without any review ( like was supposed to do ) only the automatically pre-made email . So please consider my replies to be made only for this forums and only replies for current posts noting more and nothing less , I don't need nothing from none and I didn't wanted to help anyone with them !

trustnobodynever, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  7. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Way to complex to get somebody banned from DMOZ, it is much simpler before that person website get listed to create fake profile in this forum and attempt to bribe one of the editor publicly or via PM. :rolleyes:

Website in question will be added on internal blacklist with other websites who got caught attempting to bribe their way in.

Ivan Bajlo, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  8. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    All new editor applications are reviewed. There is no automated process of acceptance or rejection.
    Every single one is read and considered by one or more volunteer meta-editors or catmods.

Some applications contain such obvious errors, or are so obviously incomplete, that they do not need much time spent on them, so the applicant is sent a letter pointing out the most common problems, in the hope that he or she will take more care with a subsequent application. The reviewer has the opportunity to add extra comments if they feel the usual list does not cover the specific issues on that application.

If you did not get additional comments, it means your application was rejected for one or more of the most common reasons. With hundreds of applications to review every day, and with this being just one of the editing tasks awaiting volunteer attention, it should be obvious that the same reply does not need to be hand-written each time.
    But just to repeat, each application is read and reviewed and responded to by a volunteer.

makrhod, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  9. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    @ Ivan ... actually I don't wanna see anyone ( even spam sites - like the last example from there) to be banned from directory , it's better to see them there , when i`ll get bored maybe i`ll look around to find more things like this just to have nice replies . I don't even care about it for me only one thing is important at this moment just traffic and for this I have perfect way to get it , how much I wanna how focused I wanna and so on . I`m just getting mad when i`m see lies like before that all , I hate to be considered like just a damn it fool who they trying to close hes mouth just because i`m foreigner or any other reason , look about all last threads from this sub forum and see all the last replies from there including from some of the mods ... look at my warnings , look at the threads from RZ forums . ALL those lies MUST stop sometime . They are lying with too much things using dictatorial ways to communicate with peoples when they are claiming are humans , and most important they are lying when keep claiming there are guidelines and rules which are always followed .

note : ALL links which I refer on the past was found by me , and all of them are still exist on directory ! and YES all of them ( conform with the guidelines and rules ) are pure spam !

edit for makrhod: please do not cut from my phrases anymore and try to take the phrases like they are in context , also I`m beg your pardon about my editor application just for a test I done it one more ( actually I didn't filled the form asked one of my remote hands to fill it ) same text same time frame of emails almost same second one had actually 86 minutes between the application and reject , same ALL fields was filled - only one difference between the applications was used on the suggestion links sites which already are listed on directory . So i`m pretty sure this are automatically send emails thanks for one more time trying to prove something witch is obviously ..... second application cant be connected with my real one just because was filled from other city from my residence lol . So ... two applications , with all fields filled , almost same time frame of '' review '' identically emails send out :) . Just like a note never i`ll make them public and please consider this just like one more example about the way how this things works ! Actually I dont even care about this '' volunteer '' activity since my time is far away too busy with this I done it just to play with '' editors time '' :)

trustnobodynever, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  10. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    You submitted a repeat application without correcting anything, and were surprised that it was rejected with the same recommendations?? That sounds like the right decision to me!
    What a waste of everyone's time, especially that of the volunteer who spent some of his hobby time reading and processing your "test" application. :mad:

makrhod, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  11. shailendra

shailendra Peon

Best Answers:
    you are grossly mistaken dude. i can't divulge you the details but there are several guidelines for editors while reviewing a website. it is not only upto the webmasters but anyone can submit a quality website and this is the force behind building DMOZ

shailendra, Feb 19, 2009 IP
  12. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes indeed, and fortunately they are available for everyone to read, so every webmaster (large and small) can easily work out for themselves if their site meets the criteria for listing. :)

The DMOZ/ODP listing guidelines are found here: Site Selection Criteria.

makrhod, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  13. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They have so many rules it will make ur head spin.

kewlchat, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  14. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Fortunately, several million websites have already been found to meet those "rules" and have been listed by the many thousands of volunteers who understand the "rules" too. Hundreds more such sites are added every day. :D

makrhod, Feb 20, 2009 IP
  15. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    proven fact loads of time till now at least this guidelines aren't followed , and the listings there are completely not following them ! This rules and guidelines aren't nothing more than insurance companies use , or bodyguard companies '' legal cover '' , this rules aren't followed ( at least personally I found enough proves to say this ! even if i`m not interested at all to find them . ) All those posts promoting this guidelines and rules are made just because you guys ODP need folks always who will keep trying to '' suggest '' sites keeping the myth with '' free directory build from passion only for the visitors '' human edited and so on ... till now in total how much links I said only on this forums ? 5-6 links ? in total maxim let say 3-4 hours of browsing on ODP ...

Lets do some math : I`m only one not experienced and not honest webmaster *( since the editor application was declined within 72 minutes since was submitted )
    Finding like normal visitor of ODP in less than 3-4 hours in total on my life browsing the directory links who are breaking most of the rules ! in total all this links are I think maybe 6 ( I can look on the text file where I have them saved but i`m bored right now to do this again ) . There are more than 82K editors ? if each one of them will browse directory let say 1 hours per day means at least 80K hours of browsing !!! => aprox 333 days ! :) of my browsing think what amount of broken links can be found !!! doing this at least 2 days per week ( let say monday from 7am till 8am / and saturday from 3pm till 4pm ) you guys withing one week only can find ( if doing everything like I do before on this 3-4 hours of browsing ... ) 984K sites which will NOT FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES :) *( since I found like 6 links within the time when I browse on directory ) , boring work I know :) good luck with the spam !

trustnobodynever, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  16. gu3ssWHAT

gu3ssWHAT Banned

Best Answers:
    YEAH and how about the spam and the practices how you peoples chose to deal with ?

With the corruption and dictatorial way how ODP promote their listing service , and the way how you guy's choose to '' share the love '' it's hard to believe someone really care about this damn it crap spam link directory . This is only bullshits about keeping an official advertising campaign ! Just with the reason to keep public interest about the directory alive , to increase the revenue generated for peoples with you colaborate ( for example mods from this forum ) ...

How about control about this forum ? don't tell me please atleast one time a lyie like you arent control mods there since I know with sure you do , SOME of your dogs acting like a slave just for one damn it link isnt cleaning all the dirty from there.

Fully bullshit things , keeping and aproving spam links , giving and accepting different advantages across the networks , including how you guys control this forum ... IT's PATHETIC

gu3ssWHAT, Mar 3, 2009 IP