1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Different Broswer Views

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by captainron19, Feb 16, 2009.

Someone recently told me a web site I developed for them is not aligning properly and they use firefox for their browser.

I checked the web site in multiple browsers and for the most part it appears ok except for firefox, netscape and chrome.

The page is was looking at is extremely basic - 3 tables all centered underneath one another. How can I found out what is wrong with my coding in the browsers where the alignment is out of skew?

captainron19, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  2. unigogo

unigogo Peon

Best Answers:
    Just install a FF. Very useful.

unigogo, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I assume you are saying it looks right in IE. So it doesn't work in any other browser. What does this tell you about IE? See my links below. Never, ever use IE as a reference for how things should work. We can help you but, without a link, it's all guess work.

drhowarddrfine, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  4. bz1406

bz1406 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes drhowarddrfine, i agree with you. Don't use IE as a reference and i'll to don't use chrome too. I always use firefox and avant for test a website at my computer.

bz1406, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Chrome is much better than IE.
    Avant is just a wrapper around IE so using Avant is no different. What's needed is the most standards compliant browser to check to see if what markup you wrote is performing as you wish. Internet Explorer is the worst of the bunch by far so it should never be referenced that way. ANY other browser is good with Firefox/Opera/Safari/Chrome being the top four.

Once you know your markup is correct, then look and see if/when IE screws things up, but the bugs in IE are well known, as are the hacks to fix it.

drhowarddrfine, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  6. Gursimran

Gursimran Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should use http://browsershots.org it give you screen shots of all the browsers in many Operating systems like Windows, Mac, Linux...

Gursimran, Feb 17, 2009 IP
    oz. likes this.
  7. blazinrachel

blazinrachel Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, i agree with Gursimran. Or... if you really want to avoid broken or misaligned images, check it first in firefox.

blazinrachel, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  8. eclipsemedia

eclipsemedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Firefox is my primary browser to test websites I have done, then I test them in IE, Safari and Chrome. Browser compatibilty is always an issue however it has gotten easier then the old days with Netscape and IE 4.

eclipsemedia, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  9. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    So this begs the question, what's the quickest way to check your site on multiple browsers as your developing it?
    Maybe a 4 or 5 monitor setup each with different and some software which auto updates the on-screen version of the document when you save it?
    Yes, i'm that lazy all suggestions welcome :)

wd_2k6, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  10. mdvaden

mdvaden Active Member

Best Answers:
    My stats show that 92% of my visitors use IE and Firefox.

And not even 1% with Chrome.

So I always test in IE & Firefox. And Chrome just happens to look okay.

If I can take care of 90%, I almost don't care about the rest of the fragments.

Just depends on who is using how much of what browser for your site.

Instead of kissing-up to Mac which is insignificant, I figure most sites should tailor code to the biggest 2 sharks, and let the remoras have to do all the tweaking at the end of the software level. Let all the insignificant browser companies have the headaches keeping pace - not the other way around.

mdvaden, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    So, as far as you are concerned, 1 out of every 10 people who visit your site can take a hike?
    50% of college students use a Mac. So half of all college students can take a hike, too?

drhowarddrfine, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  12. tmbtech

tmbtech Peon

Best Answers:
    are you using nested tables? and no css? that might be your problem.

tmbtech, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  13. camp185

camp185 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's the best advice for seeing what your site is like. User whatever browser you like.

In regards to your formating, it's nearly impossible to say without seeing your site. You should use divs when formating a sites layout, and tables should be used only to show data that has several columns with headers and rows.

camp185, Feb 23, 2009 IP