1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Private Registration

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by yugolancer, Feb 15, 2009.

I was wondering whether Private Registration can hurt the ranking? I assume it cannot but would like to hear from you as well. Thanks

yugolancer, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  2. TLSC

TLSC Peon

Best Answers:
    If your making content available only to private registration members, obviously this content won't be able to be crawled by the search engines.

So long as the search engines can still crawl the pages you want them to then no, private registration won't hurt your rankings in the search engines.

TLSC, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  3. yugolancer

yugolancer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually i was asking about the Private Registration when you register your domain so your private data/info can't be seen by lookups scripts. Thanks

yugolancer, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  4. TLSC

TLSC Peon

Best Answers:
    My mistake...

I personally wouldn't recommend it, though I don't think it's ever been proven to hurt your search engine rankings.

The flip side is that we know the search engines do read Whois information for domains, so I wouldn't give them any reason to be suspicious by withholding information.

TLSC, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  5. yugolancer

Best Answers:
    Can anybody confirm that Domain with a "Private Registration" cannot hurt PR ? Thanks

yugolancer, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  6. yugolancer

Best Answers:
    *bump*

- anyone ?

7. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:
    No, no one can possibly confirm that.

Having said that, I've had one private registered domain and it seemed to rank fine.

T_Media, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  8. nextgen66

nextgen66 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it will hurt...my sites are all private and they rank ok.

nextgen66, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  9. seoservicesworld

seoservicesworld Peon

Best Answers:
    Private registration can not hurt the ranking of the site, Search engine crawl it as usual

seoservicesworld, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  10. yugolancer

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys .. it's much appreciated.

11. dickieknee

dickieknee Active Member

Best Answers:
    many seo companies use the private registration to avoid spam emails coming through, i have not seen it hurt any websites

dickieknee, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  12. iLinkMarket.com

iLinkMarket.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I have over 500 domains on Private Reg... And I have seen nothing negative from doing it like this....

Many of my sites rank great for some awesome keywords and some of my sites are PR7 also.. Dont worry about private reg. It is fine. Worry about content and promoting your site with nice strong quality backlinks and BuzzZ

iLinkMarket.com, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  13. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    If it is part of the algorithm, I am sure the powers that be, would explain like this:

It may be a factor, but only a small factor, and not a significant one. Other aspects of SEO both on and off page play larger and more significant roles than Privately Registered Domains.

The key things to make certain you do:

1. Title Tags. Opt for using the keywords you want ranked for instead of the domain name or "Home".

2. Making certain your site is Search Engine Friendly... so it can be easily crawled.

3. Backlinks from high page rank sites using Anchor Text, not just the Domain Name or Your Name. Don't waste time with PR 0 backlinks. Try to get backlinks with a higher PR than your site's PR pointing to your site.

4. Keyword Optimized Content with 3% to 5% Keyword Density. In addition, keyword research is an absolute must. Obviously a brand new site trying to get ranked for say, "Internet Marketing" is just not going to happen. Use the available keyword tools to judge what keywords you actually have a chance at getting ranked for. Otherwise you are fighting a losing battle. Also try to have at least one of your keywords in your domain name, and register the domain for multiple years if you can afford it for that site.

5. Unique content is better, but it doesn't necessarily have to be unique to the internet. It only has to be unique to your site. It can't be 100 pages with the same info. But all of these uniqueness factors are weighted as well... so you may be able to get away with uploading unoriginal content to your site, but comparing apples to apples it would server you better to have unique content. So if you have a page that is identical to 10,000 other pages on the internet... the eldest page will likely do better unless other factors are at play like fewer backlinks.

6. 404 Errors and 301 Redirects. Make certain if you change any pages on your site, that you setup 301 Redirects for each of these links either to the new page, or to another page on the site. Also make certain you setup the DNS so you are ranking one or the other with a 301 redirect for www.domain.com or domain.com. That way all of your PR is going to one, and you aren't splitting PR between the two.

7. Use other tools available to help optimize your site. Use keyword research tools, google's tools like analytics, sitemap, etc. among others like Click Tale, in addition to ad tracking via a dedicated script or whatever means is available to you. This will help you fully optimize your site, not just for SEO, but also for higher conversions on whatever action you want your visitors to complete when they visit your site.

8. The key is to make your site functional and focused. If it lacks either one for the sake of making your site pretty or cool looking, then you are losing money because of it.

I am sure some people may agree or disagree with some of what I have said... but I was bored... so I decided to elaborate. Enjoy!

jjpmarketing, Feb 16, 2009 IP