1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

need opinions on greeting card site, +rep for good ideas

Discussion in 'Websites' started by startwall, Feb 13, 2009.

hi, i just created a website for my mom. it is a site that sells handwritten greeting cards and mails them out for you. what i want to know is:

1) do you like the idea of buying and mailing a handwritten card online? if not do you think it would be better to have a site that sells greeting cards for cheap like .50 each but has a minimum order amount of like $20 so you can stock up on cards and save money from buying them in the store.

2) do you like that it uses paypal so you don't need to signup for an account or would you prefer to use a shopping cart software and checkout on the site.

3) since the order amount for each is pretty cheap around $2-$4 it has been difficult to advertise and make a profit, i used google adwords and didn't get a sale out of 50 or so hits, we are link building but if you have any other ideas to get traffic for this niche let me know, thanks

any other feedback is appreciated also
    the site is: Card Mailed

startwall, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  2. 2advance

2advance Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cool site. I think you need to add the menu under the logo as home, cards category, etc. Its now looking very simple.

2advance, Feb 14, 2009 IP
    startwall likes this.
  3. startwall

startwall Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks for the suggestion 2advance, i added a another horizontal menu, +rep

startwall, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  4. Flashnest

Flashnest Peon

Best Answers:
    Your site isn't compatible with the older browsers. For example internet explorer 6.0 All sites need to be compatible with just about all browsers otherwise it will hurt you in the long run.

Flashnest, Feb 14, 2009 IP
    startwall likes this.
  5. startwall

startwall Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks for the reminder, i put off trying to fix it when i first designed the site and forgot about it, i don't have ie 6 on my computer so i don't know a way to check it, any suggestions? +rep

startwall, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  6. skaggmo

skaggmo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the whole premise is a good business idea and I wish you well. You could charge a little more. The layout is good enough, although that logo on top is kind of plain and that blue is a little loud. I'd add some more links across the top. You have home, how it works, categories. I think I'd ad about us, contact, maybe another one or two. And I'd think about using a thumbnail template, instead of the list going down only, you should have more content immediately visable, like four across and two down.

And you need to monetize a little better and do some SEO. Get some meta tags on your html and put some google adsense on there. You don't even have a title. That's very important for the search engines.

skaggmo, Feb 15, 2009 IP
    startwall likes this.
  7. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can install multiple ie from Tredosoft

bnandika, Feb 15, 2009 IP
    startwall likes this.
  8. startwall

startwall Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks skaggmo, i like the thumbnail idea, i haven't got around to doing any seo yet on the pages, i just did it for the main page, i'll have her write up a about page and then add a contact form also. +rep

thanks bnandika, that program is really cool, i tried it out and now can finally view all my sites to make sure they render properly in ie6, very useful +rep

startwall, Feb 15, 2009 IP