1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Separating the personal from the professional

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by mspennylane, Feb 11, 2009.

1. EspressoChick

EspressoChick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I am basically the persona I project online. I'll admit I don't talk about personal things at my blog - but that's because it is not that type of blog. I blog to talk about writing, being a writer and things that have caught my interest. So I keep a blog to attract potential clients, not to talk about what I did last weekend.

I think we tend to attract to ourselves the clients we want to work with -- and giving people a sense of who you are through blog posts, forums and other Internet sources really helps. But that doesn't mean that people can't come away with an entirely different idea of who you are than what you hope. If you Google my name, you'll run across some craft articles I wrote years ago when I had a crafts ezine and was just getting into web writing. One of my clients seemed VERY confused as to why I had written crafts articles, no matter what I tried to tell them! lol :)

I think some people are really comfortable letting it "all hang out" on the Internet and others just aren't. But that's also very much how their real life personalities are. Some people are more private and others are more free with information.

EspressoChick, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  2. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use the same user name most places I post, and I have a facebook account under my real name. I don't make too much effort to separate personal and professional. I do have a blog that is under a different user name to my regular one, and I do sometimes rant on it, but I wouldn't be too upset if an employer found it - I'm quite moderate even in my rants, and I'd stand by anything I said :)

The only thing I've had some trouble with is that I am willing to write copy for gambling sites. Some of my clients don't like the thought of me writing for gambling sites (even though that copy doesn't have my byline). I figure gambling doesn't offend me, personally, and if I avoided ever writing for any company that may offend someone, I'd end up not writing anything at all.

I have my own rules, and I follow them - nice and simple :)

etali, Feb 15, 2009 IP
    mspennylane likes this.
  3. Pixulated

Pixulated Peon

Best Answers:
    I do write under a pen name, I prefer it it gives me a feel of security on the internet not only that but I like aliases especially if I ever got big out there.

Pixulated, Feb 15, 2009 IP
  4. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    Harkster - great input from the buyer's point of view, thanks for that
    EspressoChick - I definitely understand what you mean, some people are just more private. I am one of them, but I still find it hard to hide a part of myself too.

It's hard to make a concrete decision on this issue because you never know where life will take, like pixulated said. But I guess the good thing about writing your own blog is that you can always edit the posts, or even password protect them. I have a Facebook account in my real name too, and that is not a professional profile at all. And I'm not about to change it all, since I mainly use it to contact friends. But the whole separating different types of writing thing still has me confused!

mspennylane, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  5. MarketLeverage

MarketLeverage Peon

Best Answers:
    While it depends on your ability to feel comfortable airing your dirty laundry (of sorts), I would probably write under a pseudonym for a personal blog, and my real name for business. While you may not want clients that don't want to work with you because of your writing style, in many companies the main decision makers aren't the ones researching the potential freelance company/ business partner. You may get weeded out accidentally, or based on a pre-defined set of rules, without getting a fair chance to explain. Good luck, whichever you decide!

MarketLeverage, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  6. aeolson

aeolson Peon

Best Answers:
    I keep it separated. I am using my real name here, and use it at many professional/writing forums. I do not at other forums, however. I have a variety of interests that I don't want attached to my professional/real name...not that the interests are bad or perverse. I just don't think it's appropriate to include those interests.

I have blogged since I was 13. I have never revealed my actual name except to those I know well, and I even keep that under locked entries. I have been stalked before so I am extra careful of that. I just like being personal when I am blogging. The professional stuff is for when I'm working.

I am at an advantage now because I am getting married, so my previous identity will be pretty much erased anyways. Yeehah!

(I am a classic Scorpio, so maybe that's why also. Technically I do this even in real life...I keep my private life secret. No wonder people think I'm weird, haha.)

aeolson, Feb 17, 2009 IP
    mspennylane likes this.
  7. SiteSmart

SiteSmart Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually go the other way around and have all my personal information referred as my first name, last initial and all professional information as my full name. Although people do sometimes laugh when my friends call me Brian H. This really only works if you are a DJ or an MC btw.

SiteSmart, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  8. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some interesting points. Of course nobody wants to attract a stalker, though I don't know how to completely avoid whatever risk there is if you want to put your name out there in some form??

mspennylane, Feb 18, 2009 IP
  9. Arcanus

Arcanus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    aeolson,lol
    mums a scorpio..so no your not weird.

I have about 3 different usernames i use on net. It's hard enough remembering a tonne of passwords.
    I don't tell offline family/friends the sites i frequent. The one exception is a gaming site that several family members play. That username is totally different to one i use here.
    I have only revealed my first name to a small number of people online..and first name only. except when i did a transaction or few through paypal then my real name would be on it.

I never ever have put a photograph of myself online.
    What get's me stumped is how in early days of net,we were all told not to put personal information online its not safe etc etc..and now it seems like people don't care.

I'm starting a blog site within next few days which will be a showcase of my work,but at the same time keeping it personal. Posts wont be huge rants or anything too personal..

interesting thread.

Arcanus, Feb 18, 2009 IP