1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you committing any of the 7 deadly sins of internet marketing?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by fireflyproject, Feb 14, 2009.

DEADLY SIN #1
    Skip the testing!

Test.
    Test.
    Test.
    Test.

This should become a mantra for you. Sit each morning in front of your PC and repeat the words with me. Test, Test, Test...

Ok, maybe that’s going a bit too far. But you get the idea. You need to test everything. You need to test headlines, videos, sales letters, bullet lists, everything you can in order to create a fully functional sales letter that will eat your competition alive.

Skipping this one simple step could kill your chances at being successful online. You need to play around with all the elements that you can. A successful website/sales letter/adsense campaign can’t be too effective without testing. Each website is different, so you’ll always need to play around with things until you find a sweet spot that satisfies you. (And gets you paid!)

DEADLY SIN #2
    Ignoring simple SEO

By ignoring some simple search engine optimization techniques, you are virtually guaranteeing that your site will not rank well in Google, Yahoo, and other search engines.

By taking the time to do just a little keyword research (http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com) you will see traffic soon start to flood in from the search engines.

Remember to keep an eye on your website’s stats too! You’ll probably notice a nice influx of traffic coming from keywords you never even expected!

Here are a few things you can do to improve your SEO.

• Use META tags
    • Make sure your code validates with W3C
    • Use title and alt tags in your images and links
    • Give your videos nice and descriptive overviews

Using these four simple rules, you should see a nice jump in your traffic from places like Google.

DEADLY SIN #3
    Not creating a newsletter

What!? You mean you’re not getting people to sign up for a newsletter? Why not?

Are you afraid you won’t recoup the monthly cost of the service? Trust me. You will.

My first list consisted of about 50 people. By providing them with information they wanted, I was able to sell them products over and over again. These 50 people made me well over $400 in just a few weeks.

As you see, even a small list can create great results.

Remember though, you can’t abuse your list like so many people do! Treat them with respect and don’t bombard them with crappy offers for crappy products. They will notice and they will unsubscribe without a second thought. So please, take care of them and they will take care of you.

Want to read the other four deadly sins?

You can get this free report by following this link: The 7 DEADLY SINS of Internet Marketing

fireflyproject, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  2. donrock

donrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the report. I has it or something similar once before but lost it. It was a good reminder of what I and a lot of other people are doing wrong on the net.
    donrock

donrock, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  3. W1908

W1908 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally i think newsletters are way out, perhaps if you REALLY have good content and a extremely interesting nice.

Dont forget the bookmark sites and the content sites.

W1908, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  4. NicheMaster

NicheMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't click the link (too lazy), but I am 0 for 3 on the 3 that you posted!

Too lazy to test, I'd rather just dive in and hope that whatever I try works, and even then, don't really modify what I have.

Way too lazy for simple SEO, I hate creating keyword lists and writing descriptions. I don't think that meta tags really count for scratch anymore, but some of that other stuff does make a difference, and although I do it on some sites, usually don't get around to it. I have Platinum SEO installed on my WP blogs, but never get around to actually creating separate meta information for each post, even though that's the point!

Newsletter? Nah, way too lazy. I know that everyone who has one swears by them, but I'd rather waste my time doing other stuff than list building.

The above is probably why I am not too successful in IM, I make some money here and there, but not consistently. I just get lucky sometimes.

NicheMaster, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  5. Tumpo

Tumpo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you decided you need to spam us to subscribe to your list in order to read the other tips cause your newsletter strategy worked so well?

Tumpo, Feb 15, 2009 IP
    magda likes this.
  6. NicheMaster

NicheMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    That's cheap, I didn't even click on the link before, I don't think it's cool to start a post here and then make someone join his list to essentially read the rest of the post.

NicheMaster, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  7. miakiru

miakiru Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What he posted is called a hook.

If you sign up for his newsletter, you'll likely be getting more of what he wrote in the 1st post -- which is valuable information. If you liked the first 3 tips, chances are the last 4 will help you out as well, which also means anything he's sending to you in his newsletter will probably follow the "pattern of success" and consist of something webmasters would find useful.

How is that bad? If you didn't like what he posted, you're not the person he wants on his list anyway.

miakiru, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  8. NicheMaster

NicheMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    I know what a hook is, I just don't think it has a place in the General Marketing forum here, but hey, I don't make the rules. I don't have anything against what he posted, I think it's a good post, but I don't think it would be setting a good precedent if every post in this forum became a hook for someone's list. I think a line needs to be drawn between discussion and advertising.

NicheMaster, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  9. miakiru

miakiru Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well considering the list is free, i don't see why not.

miakiru, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  10. KeyboardHustler

KeyboardHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i clicked the link :)

KeyboardHustler, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  11. TBFSearch

TBFSearch Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad to say we're not committing any of the above. Off to marketing heavan!

TBFSearch, Jul 4, 2011 IP