1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what are the norms/rules used by dmoz to list a website??

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ggmittal, Feb 13, 2009.

please let me know the norms or rules followed by dmoz web directory to list a website...?? what things are considered by dmoz to accept a site in its database..?

ggmittal, Feb 13, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's not rocket science, go to the site and look. OK I did it for you.
    http://www.dmoz.org/add.html

syted, Feb 13, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are no rules, there is something which is called guideline but there is couple of exception for each and every part of guideline. So in reality, they can refuse to list a site no matter how great it is, or they can give multiple listings to a site independent of how shi*ty it is. ;)

gworld, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Thats called Editor Discretion, and syted was nice enough to give the link to the page with its reference.

Qryztufre, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's what it is called. I though it was called which links better butters my bread rule. :D

gworld, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  7. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    That might be the way you would choose sites, but fortunately it is not the way editors do it, which is what the OP was asking.
    I have added almost 25,000 sites to the directory, and many other editors have similar records. Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that we are interested only in adding sites which benefit us in some way? What a ludicrous idea.

When someone asks a simple question, I fail to see how responding with the same old unsupported conspiracy theories helps anyone at all.

makrhod, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  8. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:

there are no rules ( or if they are are loads of time break by someone '' by mistake '' ) honestly if you really a site listed on dmoz go and buy one from the marketplace , is more , much more easy ! even if is few bucks more than normal fees to register a new site . Peoples will tell you there loads of things some of them '' half - true '' but that's the fact .

trustnobodynever, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If I was corrupt, I would have support a corrupt organization like DMOZ, the same way as you do. You have shown many times here that you have no principal and defend DMOZ at any cost by copy and pasting the official nonsense. It makes anyone wonder why is that if you have no profit by being in DMOZ and only is a "volunteer" work. :rolleyes:
    I tell the truth and I can't help it if it comes in conflict with your interests. ;)

gworld, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  10. dmi

dmi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the basic rule/norm is if the editor of your category is in a good mood that day.

dmi, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  11. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just to point out that there are over 200 of them :)

(Note to trustnobodynever: I just typed this reply with my own fingers :D)

jimnoble, Feb 14, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Because the REAL truth falls someplace between your posts and his...

There are many sites I've seen that have seemingly been removed for no apparent reason, and many sites I've seen that have supposedly been submitted yet are perfectly within the guidelines.

Though, in the end it DOES fall down to Editorial Discretion, as editors ARE allowed to not list or list anything the deem as worthy or unworthy. Or am I wrong?

So you see, it's not just drivel, it's just the other side of the truth ;)

Qryztufre, Feb 14, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  13. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    :D I`m really glad and I truly hope to see at least some of my words will have some effect to senior's / and to peoples who can change the things in better way , a real changes , include cleaning the directory of dubious links / '' re-educating actual editors and future ones '' and loads of improvements which can be done there .

it's same thing answering with pre-made advertising text :)?

14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Bingo ! Paraiso Philippines keeps getting ignored while dead sites, redirects and sites that are not worthy to be there are listed as some of them are properties of the current editor.

popotalk, Feb 14, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  15. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    how's come this :)? editors adding on ODP directory only sites conform with the guidelines you didn't heard?

16. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    something like that, we had Men's World Handball Championship few weeks ago, despite me even submitting official website it never showed up, I guess its not really considered real sport in US so why bother visitors with that but then we from the old continent considered American football, baseball, Nascar or golf more boring then fishing :D

P.S.
    Can somebody at least change Židovski in Croatian translation, Židovski means Jewish, language is Hebrew and Croatian translation is Hebrejski.

Ivan Bajlo, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  17. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Huh? It would be atypical if they DID list an "event" website that has a finite life. There may be places where they do, but in every discussion I participated in we shot down adding sites that would die soon. That's the same reason in the real estate areas we listed agent websites, we listed for-sale-by-owner networks, but not indivdual for-sale-by-owner websites.

Not gonna hang around and argue if that is right or wrong, but I happen to agree with it and in most of the directory it is standard procedure.

robjones, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  18. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would certainly agree with Rob here about listing events site as they are what you call "seasonal". Just like in real estate of owner websites they use to hop around with different realtors that you could see them in Long and Foster this time around and in a few months they will be in Coldwell Bankers.

popotalk, Feb 14, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  19. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, the DMOZ guidelines are public, and it would be silly for me to pretend to have written them myself. ;)
    Some people seem to have difficulty finding the answer to their question in those documents, so I post a specific link or a quote from the guidelines to help them.
    I'm sorry that offends you, but unlike some others here I am simply answering their questions with facts that they can then check for themselves. :)

makrhod, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  20. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    All of these activities go on every single day, and they have done so for over 10 years, even without your words. ;)

makrhod, Feb 14, 2009 IP