1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cannot get listed in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by rkstech, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    seven years ago, in many cases, those were the best of the best. That's why they got listed. Why many are still there is another matter ;)

Qryztufre, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  2. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    even in this case , when asking about them isn't a reason to get warnings on DP , threads closed and posts deleted :) . Even if years ago this was best of the best like you say ( and maybe you have right ) the geocities link atleast cant be considered best of the best under any circumstances since is listed under one category for general interest ( I think there are sites even more older than this one with same '' subject '' ! not same propouse of showing affiliate links !!! ) .

About how there are still there ? well ... on one of the other reply's from someone who's claiming '' ODP have own tools which check the links from the directory '' - BTW this is a lye like all other lye's about most of the things ... I think only links deleted from ODP are the ones who some peoples report them on the thread from RZ forums .... this is fast and quite nice service ! really full respect for the meta editor who's keep eyes on this thread !

trustnobodynever, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  3. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can verify they do have a bot (Robozilla) that sidelines dead links. This is a Q&A forum, and calling everyone who takes the time to answer your questions "a liar" is out of line.
    -Rep applied for repeatedly being intentionally obtuse and cluttering multiple threads with the same patently incorrect accusations. Now either act like a big kid or toddle off. ~ Thanks :)

robjones, Feb 12, 2009 IP
    ncz_nate and syted like this.
  4. Ilkin

Ilkin Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there special editors for small countries?
    I cant even get some info on that case:(

Ilkin, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  5. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is fortunate to have editors from all over the world, and most languages are represented in the directory, so yes, I would say that most countries of the world have someone capable of finding and listing sites about that country. :)

If you know of good sites about any country (large or small), please suggest them to the appropriate category, and when someone feels like editing there, your suggestions will be a useful resource.

And to forestall a very frequently asked question, there are over 200 editors who can edit in every category, so please choose the most appropriate category for your suggestions, without worrying about whether there is a listed editor or not. :)

makrhod, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  6. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    why I have the feeling all those answers from you and the ones from Jim are same and same answers , do you use any copy/paste maybe sometime a rewrite stuffs to post there? .... actually from Jim I saw until now ( lucky me btw ) one hand made post ... rest of them I swear looks like they are same automatically posts ....

trustnobodynever, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  7. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is it a problem that two experienced metas who know ODP well give similar and consistent answers? I don't think so, so I'll take your remark as a compliment.
    Sometimes. If I've already got a finely honed paragraph in my collection[1] that meets the circumstances, why not use it?

That I have such a collection bears out that people keep asking the same old same old questions without bothering to read previous threads, FAQs and documentation.

[1]There used to be a terrific Firefox extension called Signature which maintained a database of oft used phrases which could be inserted into a text box with a right click and then selecting from a list. Sadly, it hasn't been maintained and refuses to run in recent versions. However, it's not too hard to disable compatibility checks or to amend it's manifest to fool it into doing so :).

jimnoble, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  8. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    :) I was sure this is automatically given answers :) ... same pre-made advertising text , carefully review by each one ... you guys keep copy/paste same things over and over and i`m keep getting rep / warnings and so on :) ...

@robjones how much time i`m not getting banned because i`m saying what I`m say WITH proves , its ok :) I`m really glad because i`m getting attention at least of the mods from there ( it's seems on RZ forums cant tell to this guys too much things because almost instantly get the thread closed being put in '' bad light '' )

@ Jim ... back ... at so loved by everyone guidelines and rules it's somewhere a paragraph about '' unique '' ? correct ? , yesterday during reading somewhere a text I come across of one link ( was a pdf file ) and accidentally I clicked on it , it's not a big deal I think to everyone happens sometime , so ... the browser opened and I saw some other links around anyway was a cheap site ..... I had open on my tab's one of most popular '' pr checker '' and for fun I just put the name of the domain on the form , when I hit the magic button : pr4 valid pr / dmoz listed / google directory listed ... at this moment I laugh , I click on the link to the ODP category .... yes is listed , checked ( same like I do before web.archive.org / cache / whois records ... SAME thing ... )

Please note ! was accidentally discovered the link and I didn't wanted really to find something wrong on ODP !
    Now the retard question of mine , how on the name of god is possible anyone from editors / meta or anyone to add on ODP a link there who have 2 ( YES YOU READ CORRECT TWO ) articles cited from another site , with credentials and so on , actually aren't even full articles , only the cite from them , and one picture . Nothing more and nothing less . ( please I beg you to not use same 4 reasons which was used TWICE before - with the ganges over the time / with another repropose / or '' mistakes '' ) .

ps . I`m the only one who getting there warnings / rep's / threads closed and so on ... and you guys use pre-made text , posting same time same things ?

trustnobodynever, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  9. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @trustnobodynever

So they have millions of sites and because you find a few bad links, you kick up a fuss, rant and rave and complain? The time involved for editors to fix everything wrong is huge....there simply isnt enough time, so we all volunteer to do little bits, bit by bit, by bit. Thats all we can do! Its a hobby, its not our job, its not the only thing we do and it certainly is not our only activity in life!

Some senior editors have been very nice to you, tried to explain everything to you, but you keep complaining that the answers are the same. I ask you.......How many ways can you repeat the alphabet? A B C D E etc etc. Thats the only way and thats exactly why you get the repitition when these editors quote you the guidelines. Because they provide the facts, the guidelines, the correct and factual position.They have been so patient but gheez.......you are starting to get everyones back up.

Why not make helpful, non agressive posts or simply dont post at all? You are achieving nothing.

Cheers.

snooks, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  10. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think i`m only one who got bored in a day and started to check around , actually if you are look at RZ forums are more than 270 pages with LAODS of folks who report bad links , let's not name there the other folks who chose simply to register or to sell the domains which they found . SO .. yes ODP have millions of links USEFULNESS for visitors like the damn it lyies which they call there ! Go and take a look at any webmasters forums around each answers and each damn it non-sense / copy& paste answers . If you have some a$$es to kiss it's not with me and not there , you can go on RZ to do that , there peoples know about most of lies which officials ODP representatives gives and peoples know the '' guardian angels '' who always keep a close eye on this trouble.

Some seniors editors which you name there I think you saying about Jim ( I`m still trying to consider him with full respect a honest person ) its seems he's '' NOT READING '' posts , and HES USING PRE-MADE answers just copy&paste some damn it text ( same like spam emails which i`m getting daily on my email ), OMG THANKS FOR THE answer '' ma man '' you are cool , other a$$ kissed :) one more point up on there :) ... what answers I got when I asked about only few of broken rules links ? '' mistakes '' ? let's be serious and if you still consider to argue with me try to have some answers / reasons or maybe some decent reply ...

At least do you think can impress someone with '' my opinion are my own ? '' COPY/PASTE premade text / automatically emails ( which are send by odp ) aren't HUMAN like they calling to be ! this are automatically / machine made ! so ...

O yeah , how easy will be your life without my post ? Said something with catch too much eyes around ? What can be more helpful - [ not only for me for this hundreds of folks who working maybe years to develop a really useful site ( getting maybe half of the traffic which in total ODP get like a hole directory ) , trying to build for example an review site , or maybe a site about how fat peoples can lose weight ... everything , another example '' photography '' ... and examples can continue , ] - to have some answers about how in the name of god we can get '' just another link '' when there are hosted hundred of spam links / dead links and so on ? what can be more useful like this ? don't tell me the directory is build for the peoples who browse the directory !!! because this is also pre-made text damn it ( its used usually by makrhod ) ! Another thing about the '' aggressive '' posts which I made , I become aggressive on language only when *( and you can check the history of the posts ) peoples started to answer me like a totally retard person do you really think this is a way to make peoples to shut up ? well not with all , and not always ~! Only way to make me to not post at all is just to give me more infractions ( like I got before just because I say what I say and I have proves for what I say ! )

trustnobodynever, Feb 14, 2009 IP
    Hard Powered likes this.
  11. Hard Powered

Hard Powered Peon

Best Answers:
    You might need to contact an editor (even though they advise you not to). I had to to get my site RuneScapez's description changed... Even then it took ages.

Hard Powered, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  12. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Not getting banned "proves" you're right?!

It isnt an endorsement of your content, just means the mods havent yet noticed you're crossposting BS that's already been answered for you (several times).

Again, Dmoz has its issues. Being full of dead sites isnt one of them because a bot called Robozilla makes periodic runs to remove them. That said, this forum is not a place to simply complain that your site isnt listed in their directory (and doing so has never been an effective way of curing that). The forum is a place to answer questions, and those you've posed have been answered.

Enjoy the attention. :) Trolling tends to lead to an occasional empty seat at the table.

robjones, Feb 14, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.