1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Same domain different tld

Discussion in 'Google' started by simstar, Feb 13, 2009.

I currently own a .co.uk domain which i have run for about 2 years now. I have now bought the .net version of the domain and view this as a better opportunity to reach the US market than with the .co.uk.

If I were to create a site with different content and design would google view this as ok seen as I run the .co.uk version of the domain?

I don't want to lose my .co.uk's rankings for what google may view as spamming. Both sites will be about the same subject but they will be totally seperate and unique. Will google consider this as ok?

thanks

simstar, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  2. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should have no problem with this strategy. Many large companies own & market the country specific versions of their domain name. Just make sure they are marketed separately and that they do not share any content.

vansterdam, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  3. napa

napa Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is ok, as long as you don't just copy content from one site to another.

napa, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  4. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    2 things--

Create 100% unique contents for the .NET TLD.

The other thing - find a host with servers in USA. ( many people might argue with this, but I am talking from my personal case studies on several occasions).

Also you must remember that - with .co.uk domain -- you can rank any where in the world. As far as my studies go -- Check this (might seem less competitive- but believe me its ultra-competitive, b'coz of the EGO factor) - you will see that Google world search (or USA) values .co.uk domains very highly.

I have many more examples. So you can achieve your goal - reach out to US clients through your present TLD (there is someone in the top 15 with .co.uk).

But there is a geographic/psychological factor!!!

Even if a US client find your site- he/she might be apprehensive to buy your product/services because you have .co.uk domain.:(

It never harms a business to diversify avenues for more market-share/revenues.

Just keep in mind to promote them as separate business entities while u know its single.:D

jhnrang, Feb 13, 2009 IP
    simstar likes this.
  5. simstar

simstar Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the useful replies especially jhnrang.
    Is the hosting location the only factor behind how google defines a sites location? this is my main objective to rank well for other markets.

simstar, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  6. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As far as my experience goes - I would say YES.

But it is not all - still one of the most important factors.

Other important factors -

1) Your backlinks . It is always preferred that you have backlinks from sites targeting the same location.

2) It is also important you let Google know (through your webmaster tools account) which geographical location you want to rank for. (Geo Locations)

3)
    It is also important that contents on your page refers to the location.

Maan -once you decided -go through it-- just build the site - promote it and you will succeed.

My best wishes.:)

jhnrang, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  7. jose

jose Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. A site .co.uk is located by Google in the UK. Moving the site to IP in the USA does not change this location because country TLD is the number 1 factor as far as location is concerned.

2. Your site .net (a generic TLD) will be located in the USA if it is hosted in the USA or/and if you select USA as geographical target in your google webmaster account.

If you can not host it in the USA for some reasons, selecting USA as geographical target in your ggle webmaster account makes your site located in the USA.

jose, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  8. rena

rena Peon

Best Answers:
    Means entirely new site ... and new hosting...new domain... but will be problem if use same content.. Why don t u make both smae hosting.. is good and no chance of penailization by any reason.

rena, Feb 13, 2009 IP