1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Twitter Marketing Thread

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by fundu, Feb 12, 2009.

I've just started using twitter but I've realized its power as far as marketing is concerned. DP has been a very good place to learn about Twitter and about using it as a marketing tool.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of twitter threads in this forum. This is making the forum cluttered with twitter threads.

Like other popular things which have a single thread, I'm starting a twitter marketing thread. Please discuss the twitter marketing ideas here and help in keeping DP clean.

If you want you can follow me on twitter at: http://twitter.com/fundu

fundu, Feb 12, 2009 IP
    Glottis likes this.
  2. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sensei.Design, Feb 12, 2009 IP
    MunnaMobile likes this.
  3. Jeremy Morgan

Jeremy Morgan Peon

Best Answers:
    I've added you to my twitter.

I've heard a lot of stories about people building a following on twitter, I've never really focused on it and tried to get real results, but I'll try it and report here what I find.

Jeremy Morgan, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  4. teo123

teo123 Banned

Best Answers:
    It is an interesting tool.

I hear about it all the time but haven't dived in completely yet...

teo123, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  5. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Brandon Sheley, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  6. joany

joany Peon

Best Answers:
    Any form of net working is good you find like mined people

joany, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  7. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Twitter is great for networking with people who do what you do as well as people who want to hire you. Either way, you learn a lot and you may just get work offers without even trying. But try too hard and you could be wasting your time.

mspennylane, Feb 12, 2009 IP
    MunnaMobile likes this.
  8. arrisweb

arrisweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    added Fundu and Sensei.Design

Do you use Twitter with mobile phones?

arrisweb, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  9. fundu

fundu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Ya, I tried once to test and I'll definitely use mobile phone in future to tweet. Since I've got a full time job then tweeting through cellphone seems to be a nice idea.

fundu, Feb 12, 2009 IP
    MunnaMobile likes this.
  10. nextgen66

nextgen66 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Still not too impressed with twitter. Like to see a practical example of twitter marketing to maybe change my mind :)

nextgen66, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  11. fundu

fundu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I've seen a lot of marketers who have been sucessful with twitter marketing. In order to find a practical example, just google and you'll find many success stories.

fundu, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  12. isuccess

isuccess Peon

Best Answers:
    The key with Twitter marketing is to combine replies with sporadic promotions. I am having success with it by selecting the right people to follow. It's sort of "niche tweeting" as opposed to grabbing friends that are not interested in what I am doing. So far so good.

isuccess, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  13. trafficwave

trafficwave Peon

Best Answers:
    This is just my own experience:

I joined Twitter a few months ago because I kept seeing what I consider to be influential marketers referring to it.

So ... I looked in to it.

I opened a free account.

I started engaging in a few relevant conversations. So far, I have over 1,000 "followers" and have actually made some good contacts, taken in a few new clients, built some credibility, and had a LOT of fun doing it.

It's a tool. Use it where appropriate and add it to your overall mix of marketing and promotion.

trafficwave, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  14. scms7683

scms7683 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I'm on twitter for work. So far I have found it more beneficial to occasionally search keywords and see what people are saying about the things releveant to our business. Sometimes people ask generic questions, and we can help answer them.

twitter.com/motivatorspp

Sarah :)

scms7683, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  15. isuccess

isuccess Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of heavy hitter marketers on Twitter, at least the ones known to be such like Mike Filsame, Joel Comm and many others. If you look at their accounts, they have over 10,000 followers. I have seen people with over 60,000 followers. If handled carefully, that's a lot of people that can see what you're up to in terms of marketing yourself, your products and services. But, these heavy hitters aren't only there to tell people what they're doing without a link to somethig, an optin, a free offer, a blog, a conference, etc. At the end of the day, they all want the same thing: a bigger list and purchases for their products and services. I don't blame them and I don't think they're spammers. Providing an offer to followers that you believe is good and in good taste is never spam. There are people who think that spam is everything that leads to a list or a commercial offer. I must like spam, because I always click on links on Twitter, go to other people's blogs and sites because that's how I learn and grow. Personally, I enjoy a combination of sharing ideas with sharing my marketing and yes, my products and services but, like all things, it has to be done in moderation. Many people use Twitter to lead people to their Facebook account(s).

isuccess, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  16. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The most popular UK twitterer has 183,143 followers.
    It's broadcaster, comedian and actor Stephen Fry.
    He's not on thre to sell anything.
    That's the point really - follow me when you have 2 followers, and are following 1748 people and have 2 tweets about a marvellous once in a lifetime offer to earn $2300 from the comfort of your own home - you get blocked immediately.

magda, Feb 13, 2009 IP
    MunnaMobile likes this.
  17. rbucich

rbucich Peon

Best Answers:
    For anyone thinking about getting on board with Twitter, you won't fully realize its potential until you begin using one of the Many third party apps. I'm particularly fond on TweetDeck.

TweetDeck allows you to keep track of messages and keywords being used so you can find relevant conversations.

Linking is all nofollow and usually shortened but there are lots of opportunities to get links spread around. There are clubs and social groups being created around it as well. Recently there was a "tweetup" in Silicon Valley and 300 people showed up so some networking can be done face-to-face.

If you want to integrate Twitter with a local audience, check out Brightkite.

If you're really connected in SM, jusp on FriendFeed. It's better for conversation and the content is more diverse.

The circles I socialize in on Twitter are probably not that relevant to this crowd but I will be happy to help answer any questions you might have.
    Look me up and I'll show you around town:)

rbucich, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  18. logon2future

logon2future Notable Member

Best Answers:
    logon2future, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  19. Jason Moffatt

Jason Moffatt Peon

Best Answers:
    Ridiculously addicting!

Narcissism at it's best too.

I've done very well marketing via Twitter. However, the real power has been having a very loyal following who is willing to help me out by retweeting my messages.

To me, that's the major power of Twitter. Getting a large group of friends to help spread your message. I've done about 200 sales this month because of Twitter and didn't have to look like a marketing whore to accomplish it.

Not too shabby!

Jason Moffatt, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  20. HowToMakeMyBlog.com

HowToMakeMyBlog.com Peon

Best Answers:
    HowToMakeMyBlog.com, Feb 14, 2009 IP