1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What hourly rate should you charge for writing? Here's your answer [Kind of]

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by lightless, Feb 12, 2009.

Here's a calculator that will help you in figuring out the kind of hourly rates you should be charging for writing assignments.

http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

lightless, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  2. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    That site is a pretty useful guide. I also find Jenn's advice on the topic extremely valuable, provided in her eBook. Of course, whatever way you end up working out your rates has to work for you - but it's useful to have somewhere to start.

mspennylane, Feb 12, 2009 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  3. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That tool is just great! I really like it...However, I'd have to work real hard if I want to achieve the result that the calculator provided me with... ;)

turbulence, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  4. kingdogol

kingdogol Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL, great guide but unfortunatly

My break even rate is $395.88p/hr
    and my ideal hourly rate is $1020.88p/hr

LOL, I don't think anyone will pay me $1000 an hour.......

I personally prefer to add my own costs on my own calculations.......

kingdogol, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  5. procopywriter

procopywriter Peon

Best Answers:
    I recommend getting away from the hourly-compensation model. It comes from an "employee mindset".

Instead, think of adding value and getting paid for the value you deliver--not the time you spend. There is no leverage is charging hourly, no matter how much you charge.

Whenever I've charged hourly in the past (for another business), I always had complaints. "Why did it take you so long?" And then I had to discount to satisfy my client.

It's much better for both parties to charge a flat rate for each project. You're better compensated for your time as you get better and faster... and your client has peace of mind knowing how much she'll pay beforehand.

Just something to consider. I NEVER charge hourly.

procopywriter, Feb 13, 2009 IP
    turbulence likes this.
  6. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Only full time work pay you hourly. If you are past time writer, you shall know that magazine will never pay your in hour rate but the length of the article

lifeplayer, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  7. mspennylane

mspennylane Active Member

Best Answers:
    to procopywriter and lifeplayer - Whilst writers may not always choose to charge hourly, they do however still need to ensure that they are earning enough each hour to cover all costs and also to make as much money as they believe the writing is worth. Like the calculater says, it is working out how much you should make each hour of the working day that you can bill for - not necessarily how you should set your 'hourly writing rate' for clients. It is a useful model to help writers work out how much to charge no matter whether they charge by the hour, per page, per word or whatever.

mspennylane, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  8. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I couldn't have said it better than this...

turbulence, Feb 13, 2009 IP
  9. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    lifeplayer - Actually, a LOT of independent contractors get paid hourly. It's all in the type of work involved.

Procopywriter - Yes, people should think about value when determining their overall rates. But for those who need to figure out the minimum rates (which sadly is the group many writers here fall into), it's always best to calculate the minimum hourly rate. Any other kind of rate scheme can be derived from that, but the opposite isn't always true. By knowing how quickly they complete standard projects and what they need to earn per billable hour, they can easily figure out the best per-project, per-word, etc. rates to charge. Then they can always increase upon those minimums based on the added value they're able to offer clients.

jhmattern, Feb 14, 2009 IP
  10. WritingConsultation

WritingConsultation Active Member

Best Answers:
    The calculator is meant to be a guide, not necessarily indicates the exact rate and definitely not everyone finds it suitable.

WritingConsultation, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  11. ESMPOWERED

ESMPOWERED Banned

Best Answers:
    shouldn't you charge for the quality of work, versus how long it takes? just say'n...

ESMPOWERED, Feb 16, 2009 IP
  12. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    In a sense, yes, but that's not really what calculators are about. Calculators and formulas help you determine the minimum rates you have to charge. Anything above and beyond that should certainly be based on value. They attempted to compensate for that by asking how much profit you want to earn. It would be nice though if they offered a bit more in the way of explanation. Without understanding that (among other things, like the realities of billable hours - people often overestimate them in the beginning), the tool really can't provide something workable for new writers.

jhmattern, Feb 17, 2009 IP
  13. shailendra

shailendra Peon

Best Answers:
    $8.49 per hour :)

shailendra, Feb 17, 2009 IP