1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Should I Give Yahoo $300 to Put me in Their Directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by long island insurance, Jan 9, 2009.

1. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It will help you rank better in Yahoo search and will likely give some weight to other search engines like Google..... Yahoo directory has good editorial policies so having a listing there means your site should generally be pretty decent or atleast should not have any problems or scams on it.... I think this little bit of weight matters, so I would recommend you submit if your serious about your site... BOTW as well.... I like them both..... becuase their directories that matter and they do have traffic.

clasione, Feb 11, 2009 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  2. rookie

rookie Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think it's worth it....

rookie, Feb 12, 2009 IP
  3. pahirp

pahirp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    does the yahoo directory really help in terms of google pagerank??

pahirp, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  4. ASPMachine

ASPMachine Peon

Best Answers:
    If I say in one sentence about your query......the answer will be to get higher PR cause Google recommended Yahoo directory. I still confuse that why Google recommended Yahoo directory. Dmoz is ok bcoz we don't need to pay anything to get listed on Dmoz and also they've no any paid listing system. So if any site gets listed in Dmoz means that site has sure something useful.... but Yahoo also has paid system and anyone can get listed on Yahoo if they're able to pay $300. So here we can't say that all the sites that listed in Yahoo may not be useful or may not have the sufficient backbone to receive more importance on Google and Yahoo also. So in this condition.....why Google giving more importance on Yahoo Directory? If Google gives importance on those sites which are listed though free listing...then it'll be ok. But if Google also gives credit to paid listed sites also..... it'll something one way credit. I think very few people use directories to search anything. The main motto of Yahoo, Dmoz or any other directories are only for increasing PR if I not wrong. Yahoo directory is getting little bit real users but others are only webmasters.

You'll get full benefits if you use Yahoo paid service. I don't think that they'll accept our sites free of cost. They'll show lots of reasons why they reject our sites and also the APPROVED button and mouse button both are into their hand.

ASPMachine, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  5. bsreddy

bsreddy Member

Best Answers:
    $300 is too much for a llink.you can start your very good link directory website with that money

bsreddy, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  6. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    haha, i doubt 300 would start you a "Very" good directory

Nima, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  7. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Most people don't consider a total budget of $300 a sufficient amount to properly build and market a "very good" website. Especially something like a directory where there are literally THOUSANDS of competitors out there.

About Yahoo, depending on the type of business one is in, a $300 directory listing in Yahoo may be worth it. If you are selling items that cost several hundred dollars (for example) then if Yahoo just sent you one visitor that purchased something from your site...well, then it paid for itself.

EveryQuery, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  8. skujisun

skujisun Banned

Best Answers:
    I've submitted to plenty of directories, none gave me more backlinks than several other sites I've networked with.

skujisun, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  9. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    300 doesn't guarantee you a listing in yahoo.
    yahoo is a big directory and they have limited staff so they can't assess your site because the queue for free submission is HUGE.

With 300 you get on a smaller queue with a dedicated staff.
    If your site is good they will accept it according to their editorial guidelines.

SO IT IS NOT A PAID LISTING
    unlike many of those paid directories out there who writes in bold that " This is not a Paid Link but a Fee for Review"

Blogspotter, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  10. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I think Yahoo's mentality on this is much the same as a high end Night Club...keep the price high to discourage the riff-raff.

hmansfield, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  11. geoiss2004

geoiss2004 Guest

Best Answers:
    i've toyed with the idea but i've never shelled out to get linked in their directory.. i just can't see the benefits outweighing the cost, ever. thus, i do NOT think it is worth the expense.

if they halved it to $149 and i would probably go for it.

geoiss2004, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  12. geoiss2004

geoiss2004 Guest

Best Answers:
    that's a real good point but maybe if they focused on reviewing their websites and only accepting quality, they wouldn't need to have such a high price in order to keep people out

geoiss2004, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  13. Londonseoconsultants

Londonseoconsultants Guest

Best Answers:
    DONT BOTHER with buying links in bulk, 20,000 links all with the same text - alarm bells to google -site banned, unless they are going to give 20,000 links with unique descriptions, then it would take a years work, (even then other sites appear on the same 20,000 pages with the same text ect,..so still a waste of time)

These people just enter your details then click submit,, its all automated, despite all their sales patter "wow get 20,000 links and get to the top of google"..etc...they dont give a hoot whether or not your site benefits, and unless you buy links one at a time from trusted sources, who care about who they link to and the long term affect, not just short term financial gain, and you use a different description each time, then you can have success buying links, else dont bother, you will be gambling with your sites ranking and the odds are well against you.

Its so convenient for these sites that google has banned paid links because they can say things like "we can't give any testimonials as it will alert google to our customers" !!! what bulll

Yahoo directory is hardly worth the fee as the pages have little or no ranking,

Londonseoconsultants, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  14. Tom Lindstrom

Tom Lindstrom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does the $300 you pay guarantee you get listed? That´s a waste of money.You will get listed for free and quickly if you make a few good blog comments on do-follow blogs.

Tom Lindstrom, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  15. beigmatt

beigmatt Peon

Best Answers:
    To be honest its a rippoff. It doesnt cost them anything.

beigmatt, Feb 24, 2009 IP
  16. yousellstuff1

yousellstuff1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are after google serps then yes it will help. It is the only directory that google supports and recommends people to submit to.

SO in that way it is helpful

yousellstuff1, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  17. sumit1710

sumit1710 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is unfair practice..but i a way to legitimate, trustful and big websites to get listed...

sumit1710, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  18. nikolasgr

nikolasgr Peon

Best Answers:
    if the submision could provide me an income in the same price range, i would go for it but it wont!
    as mentioned above, DMOZ is the FREE king!

nikolasgr, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  19. DanielSpider

DanielSpider Peon

Best Answers:
    Completely correct. I am Marketing Manager at an online storage solution provider and to us $300 in a marketing budget is NOTHING if we can raise our organic search hits. Just submitted for Yahoo directory myself.

That said. If you are a hobby tinkler and own 50 sites that run adsense or amazon.com and earn $500/month OF COURSE it's not worth it!

DanielSpider, Feb 26, 2009 IP
  20. cgragg

cgragg Peon

Best Answers:
    Yahoo Dir is definitely worth the money. It should improve your rankings in Yahoo, but also in Google because it is a trusted link and has lots of authority. I recommend it to all of my clients and have had great success with it.

cgragg, Feb 26, 2009 IP