1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

High Cost Keyword Phrase Give Low Payout

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by Kasper Rasmussen, Jun 29, 2006.

Recently I found a website that lists the PPC prices of some of the higher paying keywords. Then I decided to do some testing. I picked one of the keyword phrases and set up a website with some information about the keyword phrase. I put an adsense banner on the site and clicked the adsense link through another IP.

I check the keyword phrase in adwords, and it told me that the minimum CPC was $35, therefore I figured that I'd be getting a good part of this.

Just now I checked adsense too se that I actually only earned $0.33 pr click.

Anyone know how this can happen? High cost keyword phrases that pays out low?

Kasper Rasmussen, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  2. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's because you "cheat" by using other PC to click on your own ads!

toby, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  3. Kasper Rasmussen

Kasper Rasmussen Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all I'd like to state that I do not do this to cheat by clicking on my own ads, merely to test it.

Second, Google couldn't possibly know since I did it from another IP-address

4. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now we know why Google's profits are sooo high.

CanadianEh, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  5. AdsenseAddict

AdsenseAddict Peon

Best Answers:
    You have no idea what you're talking about do you.

First of all, you have to be patient until someone clicks on your ad. Second, you shouldn't cheat Google you know why? Coz you can't cheat Google. Third, report to Google that you clicked your own ads just to be safe. Admit your mistake. Finally, you shouldn't be focusing on high paying keywords, you should be focusing on building a quality site and mastering SEO techniques.

Good Luck!

AdsenseAddict, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  6. PFCritics

PFCritics Peon

Best Answers:
    If I'm an advertiser, I wouldn't like someone "testing" my $35...

If the number was that low, maybe the keywords weren't exactly the way you thought they were? There could always be a slight variation that is a lower CPC.

PFCritics, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  7. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    How do you know the ad you decided to click was targeted to the keyword? Maybe the ad was not targeted yet, or was targeted to another phrase on the page. Either way, 72% of all statistics are incorrect,including this one.

ServerUnion, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  8. MountainLife

MountainLife Active Member

Best Answers:
    what a prick, what if that was my ad?

MountainLife, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  9. Kasper Rasmussen

Kasper Rasmussen Peon

Best Answers:
    I know it is wrong to test by clicking your own ads, but there's really nothing to do now. Done is done.

I'd like to focus on the fact that the payout was signifigantly smaller than expected. As PFCritics and ServerUnion indicate it could be possible that the ads which I clicked did not match the high paying keyword. In theory that could be true, yes, and I guess there is no way to tell. I was simply looking for anyone who has experienced the same thing: found high cost keyword that does not payout high

10. CosmosCR

CosmosCR Guest

Best Answers:
    in my experience no keywords pay that high. google must take all the profits

CosmosCR, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  11. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it would be next to impossible to limit it to just one keyword. Yes, there are topics and niches that pay more than others, but how do you tell which words on the page are being picked up for the ad?

I have also found that the CPM for sites will change greatly from day to day, even on static content.

ServerUnion, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  12. pulse0

pulse0 Member

Best Answers:
    The $35 might be the highest bid for that keyword that someone wanted to pay. But if the 2nd lowest bidder is only at lets say $2/click then the person who bid $35 is only paying something like $2.05/click.

pulse0, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  13. Sara

Sara Guest

Best Answers:
    As an adwords publisher I am here to tell you that I have never yet paid my top price for a click - google always manages to get me about 15% of what I am prepared to pay per click (see above post). ;) I'm betting whoever is willing to pay $35 per click for that phrase has likely never yet paid it. :)

Sara, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  14. jaybong

jaybong Peon

Best Answers:
    13% of people know that :)

jaybong, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  15. 4FYB2R

4FYB2R Peon

Best Answers:
    The top bidder for a keyword might pay $35 - the bottom bidder might pay $2. How can you be sure that the ad that you clicked was by the highest bidder ? Since your site is not the top site for the keyword in search results, you probably will not get the top advertisers links on it. All the ads showing on your website were probably by low bidding companies, so you got less. This is what happened in my opinion.

On top of that, to be honest - I don't have a clue how Google calculates your ,mine ;), income. It is generally believed that the higher page eCPM the more you make. This should be relevant to the keyword $ value too. Still, I score $ 0.10 for eCPM showing $159, and then $ 0.33 for eCPM $ 6.0.

Go figure...

4FYB2R, Jun 29, 2006 IP