1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what if i removed 1000 pages of my website

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by maxense, Feb 7, 2009.

hi all, please tell me,
    recently, i removed about 1000 pages of my site, and i'm afraid this will affect my search rankings,
    is it ok , or what should i do, because the removed pages still appear in search results. and when you click on one of them, they send you to Error 404 - Not Found
    is removing the pages links from my site map gonna be good step or what?

maxense, Feb 7, 2009 IP
  2. S3vEn

S3vEn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Umm i am not 100% sure but i don't believe it will effect it much, You can always redirect error pages to your home page. etc

S3vEn, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  3. kailash

kailash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure about search rankings but if you are getting traffic from search engines, it will affect to your site traffic as visitors will get 404 error or something else (if you redirect 404 page) that they don't want.

Kailash

kailash, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  4. gammo

gammo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Removing the pages will slightly affect your ranking especially if some of those pages had ranks. In any effect, make sure you update your sitemap to reflect the changes. Over time as the search engines read your sitemap and crawl your site, they will drop the pages you removed from their search results.

gammo, Feb 8, 2009 IP
  5. sandhipan

sandhipan Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure about if it will affect your search rankings directly because it all depends on the importance of the pages within your site. If you remove 500 important pages out of 100 pages, it will surely affect your site saturation on the SERP. As far as the error pages are concerned for the visitors performance, I'd suggest creating custom 404 pages for your website.

sandhipan, Feb 9, 2009 IP
  6. shailendra

shailendra Peon

Best Answers:
    if those pages were ranking for some keywords then from now on they will not. As far a 404 error is concerned, you pages will be removed from the Google Index once Google crawls those pages. Moreover, you can create Custom Not Found Pages via Google Webmaster Tools to guide your visitors

shailendra, Feb 9, 2009 IP
  7. maxense

maxense Peon

Best Answers:
    well well. thanks alllllll for your great response. thanks very much. i really appreciate it.

maxense, Feb 9, 2009 IP
  8. tonythanh12a7

tonythanh12a7 Member

Best Answers:
    The bad result is your guest will not believe in your site because of they found that you throw out the useful information which they has been found before. So You will lose some traffic.

tonythanh12a7, Feb 10, 2009 IP